Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Red Heptagenia?, Page 2

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Cinygmula

This is primarily a Western genus. Cinygmula ramaleyi is the most important species, producing good hatches in the West. Cinygmula reticulata may also be relevant, and I have seen a great spinner swarm from an unsung species, Cinygmula par, in the Washington Cascades.

There is only one Eastern species, Cinygmula subaequalis, and its importance is minor. Read more...

There are 31 more specimens...

The Discussion

PaulRobertsJuly 21st, 2011, 9:09 am
Colorado

Interesting. It's not a simple, nor perfect, world. Look close enough and you begin to see the "imperfections" -undertones of religious judgment intended. I think Darwin called it "variations", twisting the idea into something we can run with.
EntomanJuly 21st, 2011, 12:12 pm
Northern CA & ID

Lloyd & Paul -

Good stuff guys. Back to fishing: Red nymphs! I'm going to tie up some in my heptageniid style in the spirit of pax between imitation and attraction. No beadheads though, I'm not going that far!:)

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsJuly 21st, 2011, 12:23 pm
Colorado

Kurt, that was what followed from my exposure to "the mystery of the blue lobsters"; That maybe trying to mimic isn't always the best way to catch fish. I would love to chat about that one, but I've got to get some work out.
GONZOJuly 21st, 2011, 12:36 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

No beadheads though, I'm not going that far!:)

C'mon, Kurt, I'm pretty sure that you can find some red beads....;)

Here are some images of red form Rhithrogena:

This one is from Colorado.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/262540/bgimage

This R. impersonata is from Michigan.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/470153/bgimage

This R. impersonata is from Massachusetts (notice how the mouthparts are projecting a bit like Cinygmula).
http://bugguide.net/node/view/267308/bgimage
EntomanJuly 21st, 2011, 1:09 pm
Northern CA & ID

C'mon, Kurt, I'm pretty sure that you can find some red beads....;)

Ughh...

BTW - thanks for the photos. The Cinygmula looking one sure would confuse in the hand! Looking closer though, it appears to be a membrane of some sort attached to the dorsum, so all is still right with the world.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GONZOJuly 21st, 2011, 6:07 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Looking closer though, it appears to be a membrane of some sort attached to the dorsum, so all is still right with the world.

Take another look, Kurt. Check the ventral (2nd) photo of the same nymph.
EntomanJuly 21st, 2011, 7:55 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! What the heck! Is Roger gluing body parts together on us? You know he is a computer wiz as well as a bug wiz. He does muck about on that other website as well.:)
GONZOJuly 21st, 2011, 8:28 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Roger is a clever guy, Kurt, but in this instance, I suspect it is ol' Mother Nature who is "mucking" with us. ;)
EntomanJuly 22nd, 2011, 12:56 am
Northern CA & ID

Ha Ha!:) I know, I know... You're probably right.... But the silence is deafening. Do I hear soft chuckling off in the distance? Perhaps Washington way?
TaxonJuly 22nd, 2011, 2:32 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Although I may be silent when I can't think of an appropriate response, it doesn't mean I'm not listening. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
PaulRobertsJuly 24th, 2011, 1:18 am
Colorado

Here's a link to an apparently red R impersonata:

http://128.192.10.174/mp/20p?see=I_DSC488&res=640

I have a photo of an Epeorus with red gills -I believe it was hemaglobin in the gills. Just not enough O2 in that stream tank of mine for Epeorus. Will post eventually.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.