Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Heptageniid Nymph, Page 3

The Specimen

Heptagenia pulla (Golden Dun) Mayfly NymphHeptagenia pulla (Golden Dun) Mayfly Nymph View 8 PicturesLike most Alaskan mayflies, this one is tricky to identify to the species level. See the discussion section for an informative chat about this one's ID. The current leaning is to call it a fairly immature Heptagenia pulla nymph, but a case has been made for Heptagenia elegantula as well.
Collected July 10, 2011 from Nome Creek in Alaska
Added to Troutnut.com by on July 13, 2011

The Discussion

OldredbarnJuly 25th, 2011, 5:41 pm
Novi, MI

This is an oxymoron, for sure. :-)

Could we get away with calling it humor of a higher "order"...Ouch! And I promised to stop and should of while I was ahead...;)

Thanks again!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmw975July 25th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Guelph, Ontario

Spence, I enjoy your wisecracks, and do understand your frustration with all the name changes. I've only been in the mayfly taxonomy business since the late 90's and I find myself calling species by the "wrong" name all the time.

Hopefully, the combination of morphology, DNA, and other lines of evidence will allow us to achieve some sort of stability, at least until the next whiz-bang technology comes along ;)

jeff
OldredbarnJuly 25th, 2011, 10:38 pm
Novi, MI

Hopefully, the combination of morphology, DNA, and other lines of evidence will allow us to achieve some sort of stability, at least until the next whiz-bang technology comes along ;)

Jeff,

I think we will do just fine here treading water in the deep end of the pool...We can take solice knowing we aren't alone. Bottom line, when you and I are standing knee deep in the river somewhere, we can grab a bug out of the air and still figure out what to tie on the business end of our leader.

I love reading you bug boys and can keep up fairly well unless G has had his Wheaties this morning and has put a serious dent in a whole pot of coffee...;)

Keep up the good work!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.