Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Leader "grease", Page 2

OldredbarnSeptember 1st, 2011, 9:39 am
Novi, MI

PS - Spence, Powerbait works really well as a strike indicator.

Kurt...What's a "strike indicator"? ;)

Spence

During Trico seasons past I would sometimes get the occassional knot nipper who would rise to and strike one of my leader knots...Maybe if I coated it in Power-Bait he'd get a little treat while he was there messing with my head...:)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEALSeptember 1st, 2011, 10:28 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Super glue some #24's to the underside of those knots.... saves on tying materials.....
OldredbarnSeptember 1st, 2011, 10:45 am
Novi, MI

Super glue some #24's to the underside of those knots.... saves on tying materials.....

Funny mister! But now that you reminded me, I meant to ask you about a post somewhere here where you made mention of tying Tricos, I think it was, on the bend of larger than normal hooks...You want to expand on this? Please.

Spence

I'll be in town the weekend after Labor Day...You and JR up to hanging somewhere late Saturday or maybe fishing somewhere Sunday??? Breakfast Sunday morning might be nice...PM me your response. Take Care!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanSeptember 1st, 2011, 2:24 pm
Northern CA & ID

Who was it that said, "if you have to explain a joke the humor has been missed"?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TNEALSeptember 1st, 2011, 11:44 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Or maybe we could tie 6 or more tricos along the shank of a #6 and go with 2x....
SayfuSeptember 2nd, 2011, 9:13 am
TNEAL..Chernobyl tricos! Giant "Smitting risers" All kinds of mutations in the quality of water we have today!
TNEALSeptember 2nd, 2011, 1:56 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

The quality of water we have today...

When I was a kid (50's), we used to drink directly from the East Branch of Michigan's AuSable river... hint: don't try it today!
SayfuSeptember 2nd, 2011, 8:22 pm
Posts: 560TNEAL..I tried to use the English term for those little dimpled rises from midges, and called them "smitting", but the term could be a "smutting" rise.
EntomanSeptember 3rd, 2011, 2:15 am
Northern CA & ID

Sayfu -

TNEAL..I tried to use the English term for those little dimpled rises from midges, and called them "smitting", but the term could be a "smutting" rise.

No, I think you were mostly right the first time, mostly. "Smutting rise" is a term used to describe the riseform of trout feeding on juvenile reed smuts (black fly larva and pupa) in Europe. The term was introduced to American angling literature by Ernest Schwiebert and has since been applied loosely to describe the rise forms of trout feeding on minutiae in general.

"Smitting" is a term applied to the delivery of Chernoble Tricos. It derives from the verb "smite", meaning, "to deliver a heavy blow, to defeat or conquer."

regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GutcutterSeptember 3rd, 2011, 2:41 pm
Pennsylvania

Funny mister! But now that you reminded me, I meant to ask you about a post somewhere here where you made mention of tying Tricos, I think it was, on the bend of larger than normal hooks...You want to expand on this? Please.

Spence

check this out.
This has worked for me in quite a few places, but I still prefer single flies, tied reverse hackle-stacker with microfibette tails

http://backpackflyfishing.com/blog/2010/06/06/the-traffic-jam-trico-cluster/
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
SayfuSeptember 5th, 2011, 8:41 am
Tying more than one trico on a bigger hook seems like a great concept. Could tie maybe three tricos on a standard size # 14 hook. Tails on the one aft, and then body, wings on the other two. Create a spinner fall with one cast.
Gives meaning to the term "cluster fly"...you've heard that described for the Griffiths Gnat?...a cluster of midges for when they cluster up in a riffle/backwater.
OldredbarnSeptember 5th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Novi, MI

Sayfu,

Up on the Au Sable they have tied multiple Tricos on a larger hook for some time. The first ones I remember seeing were sold as "mating Tricos". It was two spinners tied on a larger hook. It is obviously a way of fishing the Trico hatch with a stouter hook.

That link of Tony's is interesting. When the hatch has been fairly heavy you can find these clumps of spent spinners stuck along the grass edge along the sides of the stream. Rafts of them break loose and float downstream when you walk over and your wading sends some waves up against the grass.

Spence

BobbypJanuary 21st, 2018, 12:13 am
Posts: 1Certain Gink and Albolene are the same thing. Buy where cosmetics are sold.
E.R.Hewitt used equal parts Albolene and kersone as a fly floatant.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.