Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Grayling fishing and bug collecting at Nome Creek, Page 4

Grayling fishing and bug collecting at Nome Creek

By Troutnut on July 10th, 2011
It's been a busy year, and this is the first time I've been out fly fishing. My wife and I drove up to Nome Creek for a couple hours, looking for some easy action on small grayling, and it did not disappoint. I was still threading the line up through my guides when I heard her calling from the stream with a grayling on her fly. I told her that since she got the first fly-caught fish of the year, she can officially wear her I outfish my husband! merchandise now.

I also collected some nymphs for the site for the first time in a few years, including several mature Ephemerella aurivillii nymphs. Our dog Taiga had not experienced kick-netting before, but she decided to try to be as helpful as she could, imitating me by walking in front of the net and pawing at the water. The collection was very successful.

Photos by Troutnut from Nome Creek in Alaska

Closeup insects by Troutnut from Nome Creek in Alaska

Comments / replies

Page:1234
OldredbarnJuly 19th, 2011, 10:29 am
Novi, MI

BTW - Incognito would work better as a new scientific name I think. Ephemerella incognito, hmmm...

You know Kurt...I like this one...It's right up this weirdo's alley..Got to love "incognito" ;), but I can't understand the absolute lack of romanticism of you bunch of "Nerds"! :) "Spence the Prince" tried to open the door for Jason but after years and years of very gray professors pounding it out of you guys, I'm beginning to wonder if there's any hope for the lot of you...How did you guys ever find a Frau? How did they ever get you to look up from the microscope long enough to even notice that they were standing there???

From here on in I'll only refer to it as "Lena's Alyeska Dun"...Sorry boys! I'm tying up a dozen or two in the very off chance that I will ever make it back up there...I have these dyed stripped hackle quills that were supposed to cover the mahoganies but the dying process was a little off...They just may be a little too red but we will see...

I also thought about "Lena's Honey's Dun" but somehow this doesn't roll well off the tongue...

Kurt...It was nice of you to mention the "poeticism" of my posts, but I recognise a fellow-traveller, a fellow tongue-in-cheeker when I read one...;)

Spence

One of these days, if I can ever figure out a way to stretch it in I'll tell you how Jimmy Keyes gave me the nickname "Spence-the-Prince"...It has nothing to do with entomology or fly fishing so it will be difficult even for me...;)

So Mr. Lore says that E aurivillii shall be know fore-ever-more, at least among the hopeless romantics along the Au Sable, as Lena's Alyeska Dun...

Damn! I pushed this thread on to a 4th page...Wow!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanJuly 19th, 2011, 1:43 pm
Northern CA & ID

Lloyd -

Yes, Jason moved the two large specimens that I had questioned (#483 & #484) from needhami to aurivillii.

Ah.. thanks. I got lost putting it together somewhere around Jason's "stegosaurus" post.:) Knew I missed something, now my head is clear.

Thanks also for the clarification on the tubercles and including an actual quote from the scientific lit. The specimens of aurivillii in my neck of the woods (or ones I've seen anywhwere for that matter) look like striped dorothea infrequens without discernible tubercles, even when using hand held magnification. It looks like head/pronotum shape and overall size are the most dependable?

Spence -

...but I can't understand the absolute lack of romanticism of you bunch of "Nerds"! :)

That is a dastardly accusation without merit! Proof? We enjoy (put up with) your random musings in the middle of our "scientific" hobnobbery. Oh, and don't think your comment about us "scientific types" not spending much time with a rod in hand went unnoticed... Perfidious slander!:)

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnJuly 19th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Novi, MI

That is a dastardly accusation without merit! Proof? We enjoy (put up with) your random musings in the middle of our "scientific" hobnobbery. Oh, and don't think your comment about us "scientific types" not spending much time with a rod in hand went unnoticed... Perfidious slander!:)

Ouch! What ya going to do tough guy? Throw your latest copy of "J-NABS" at my head...;)

There are some fine grains of truth in your remark...I know I'm in the middle of it all here, but I think this goes to my argument a bit...If I wasn't in the middle of this I'd never get your attention...You boys are in your own world...I am just saying all power to the females in your lives for somehow pulling it off!

"...spending much time with a rod in your hand..." This is just too easy ;) and if the ladies hadn't worked their magic this would be your only alternative...Me thinks :)

Ok, ok! That was fun...I'll behave myself...Promise! Let's you and I Kurt call a truce ;) and I'll stop before we push this thread in to another page! I will try my best to limit my "dastardliness" (is that a word?) and won't interupt when the adults are speaking...O-Tay Buckwheat?!

Being serious...Let us hope that our wives never get together as a group and swap info...We will be toast!

The "Nerder Birder" signing off.

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanJuly 19th, 2011, 2:42 pm
Northern CA & ID

"...spending much time with a rod in your hand..." This is just too easy ;)

Ha Ha. :):) Wow, I walked into that one! Reminds me of "Happy Gilmore." Remember the bar scene after the first round of golf? The antagonist Shooter McSomething tells Happy, "I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!", to which Happy replied, "So... You eat shit for breakfast?"

Very good Spence... Very good.:)

Semper pax,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnJuly 19th, 2011, 4:56 pm
Novi, MI

Kurt,

I am charged with watching over other folk's dough...Today I spent a large part of my time taking care of my annual compliance stuff that I have to do to maintain my securities lic's etc...Real fun stuff, eh!?

The DOW went north by 200+ points...No problem there...

I guess I was bored mister and made a feeble attempt to entertain myself...

Thanks for helping me maintain some sanity here buddy! :)

I am serious though that I'm going to "reel" myself in a bit and stop nugging in to quality conversations with trivia...If I truely need to "step-out" I'll start a new thread...

But thanks again!

EntomanJuly 20th, 2011, 12:53 am
Northern CA & ID

I am serious though that I'm going to "reel" myself in a bit and stop nugging in to quality conversations with trivia...If I truely need to "step-out" I'll start a new thread...

It will take a lot of the fun out of these threads if you do.

Kurt

Page:1234

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.