Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Au Sable river Michigan 06 25 2011

Oldredbarn has attached these 8 pictures. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Agnetina capitata (Northern Stone)? I updated this after a post in June 2013 from Kurt. He was responding to a post of another one posted June 2013...Ann Miller has it listed as Golden Stone along with Paragnetina & Acroneuria...Family Perlidae.
Agnetina capitata (Northern Stone)? I updated this after a post in June 2013 from Kurt. He was responding to a post of another one posted June 2013...Ann Miller has it listed as Golden Stone along with Paragnetina & Acroneuria...Family Perlidae.
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
OldredbarnJune 27th, 2011, 11:25 am
Novi, MI

Early on Father's Day morning I got a call from some friends up north that a room had become available for a few days if I wanted it. A good friend/guide up there wanted to float with me Saturday night in hopes of finding some Hex.

It is a little funny to me but almost everytime I head out for Hex I catch a nice fish at dusk on an Iso...I did it again.

The water we fished was below the confluence of the North Branch with the Mainstream and it's wider, deeper, and slower than the water I normally fish up near Grayling. The rise form is so damn subtle its easy to miss. My friend spotted it and we turned the boat around and snuck up on it from below tucked right up against the left bank.

I had to cast side arm upstream and was never really sure I had seen the rise. My friend kept saying, "There Spence! Did you see it?" It was just after sunset and I was looking upstream at a patch that was lit by the little bit of light left.

He was 20.5" and as fat as a pig!

My friend sat me up over a nice fish later during the Hex. It got really cold Saturday evening and the hatch was spotty but some fish fed. It was pitch dark and I could only hear the fish feeding and like a damn bat had to triangulate to where the fish was...I finally got him to take my fly, I let out a whoop, and it was off...My damn knot came loose! I don't know if I missed a step in the dark, or that I'm just not used to 1x mono when I was fishing 6x the few days earlier...Not sure. I had to hear it all the way down to the take out...My friend would of probably choaked me except we had too much shit in the boat between us...:)

The little Brook was taken on the Lower section of the North Branch before it hits the Main a few bends just upstream from Chauncey Lively's old cabin...I would of given you "P.A. Boys" a picture of the cabin but Chauncey loved the river and left all the trees alone and all you can see is his old dock until fall. I was told the next day that after he passed his daughters sold the place.

The guys that gave up the room must of known something since Thursday it rained like hell all damn day. If you ignore the Hex up there this time of year the river is yours...All the Hex guys sleep all day and fish late. Even during the rain the dorothea's, what's left of the invaria's, where hatching along with a few Light Cahill's...I had little yellow stones, Iso's and a few gray drakes here and there. There were the small 18/19 Baetis, a tinier one and one even smaller that only Tony would dream of fishing.

Anyway! I had a great four extra days of fishing.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123June 27th, 2011, 1:56 pm
Oscoda, MI

Well done Spence!! And wildflower pictures too!! Are my botanical tendencies rubbing off on ya? Glad to hear you had some good dry fly fishing. And the Hex are happening - guess it's about that time! Nice photos and congrats on getting some time to get up north and chase a few trout.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnJune 27th, 2011, 4:32 pm
Novi, MI

And wildflower pictures too!!

Jonathon,

I'm an old kid from the 60's, man! Flower-Power still burns in the heart of this old dutchman! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123June 27th, 2011, 4:45 pm
Oscoda, MI

FAR OUT, man!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsJune 27th, 2011, 7:47 pm
Colorado

Very nice, Spence. Sounds like a really great time. Love the boat too.
JesseJune 27th, 2011, 8:49 pm
Nice shots my man good to see!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
OldredbarnJune 27th, 2011, 9:34 pm
Novi, MI

Paul,

I've added another photo to the above post to show you a full picture of an Au Sable river boat. They go back to the logging days and are rather easy to pole upstream if needed. They are flat bottomed...This photo was taken on a swollen South Branch on a Saturday on the weekend of Memorial Day this past May. That's Jim having a snack. He needs all the energy he can get to put up with my never ending chatter down the river and unhooking the occasional fly I snag in the Tag Alder's...Floating with Spence is above and beyond the call of duty! :)

They are a great platform to fish from and a real traditional part of the Au Sable.

Spence

PaulRobertsJune 27th, 2011, 10:08 pm
Colorado

Long and narrow with a flat bottom, draws very little. Nifty.

Chatty?
One day a while back "Rip" Ripson, "Snake" Burns, and I are downrigger trolling on Lake Ontario. As afternoon sets in the action falters and we're all sitting as if in a trance listening to the thrum of the motor at near idle and the whine of the cables. I finally get up to grab a sandwich. No sooner have I downed it when, fully re-energized, I jump to my feet and start animatedly telling the guys what it's like when a steelhead hits.

"Suddenly there's a big chromer out there leaping. And there's always a delay. Your eyes scan rapidly back and forth amongst the rods waiting to see which one will double over. Then, one bows deeply and..you're off to the races."

No sooner have I finished when a big chrome steely leaps clear. Everybody leaps to their feet, scanning the rods. And one doubles over. Snake is up and soon puts his first ever steely in the boat -a gorgeous 10lb buck. A short while later all is silent again, save the thrum and whine. Rip says, "Get Paul another sandwich."
OldredbarnJune 28th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Novi, MI

Long and narrow with a flat bottom, draws very little. Nifty.

There are chains that are sometimes dangling from behind and the idea is to roll along pretty much at the river speed. So, when you toss out your fly you can get some really nice extended natural floats. The guide also can position the boat in such a way to get you to places you may not normally get with your fly.

We stop for a nice streamside lunch...It's very hard to beat.

They are locally made and sometimes the boat makers go back generations.

Spence

SofthackleJune 28th, 2011, 9:47 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Spence,
Your shots make me jealous, and I envy you the great time you had. It must have been just a super time.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
OldredbarnJune 29th, 2011, 10:50 am
Novi, MI

Mark,

I think the smile on my face in that photo of me in the boat with the small brook just about sums it up...This is one relaxed, happy man! You know what "Home Water" is all about Mark and I'm at my most content splashing around in the old Au Sable. It could be pouring down rain, snow, sleet, or hail, and I've been there for all that, and I'd still be swinging that stick and floating them homemade flies...Grinning ear-to-ear.

Your print looks wonderful in the fly tying area, mister!!! Thanks again. I just wish it was over an old fire place in a cabin on the river somewhere and you and I were sitting there after a great day on the river sharing stories and a few cold ones. Maybe tying some flies. I know you are busy, but anytime you want to wet a line in another storied river, other than your home one, let me know.

Spence

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, the smile in that picture was probably because that fish took the "skunk-out-of-the-boat" and that means I was allowed to open a Molson's after...Rules are rules! "Can't open a beer until you touch a trout!"

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.