Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Bullfrog

FredHMay 17th, 2011, 9:45 am
Lake Charles , Louisiana

I know this is a little unusual tie for this site as most are of insects , but I think I've solved a few flaws that were in my earlier version. This one should be easier to cast and have a clearer silouette
http://www.realisticflytying.net
EntomanMay 17th, 2011, 3:51 pm
Northern CA & ID

Tremendous job of imitation Fred. A lot of our high elevation Sierra lakes are full of amphibians, and I think this fly would be a real big trout fooler for those "cruising the edges of the pads". Care to share how you created such a realistic body?

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TroutnutMay 17th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I'm really curious about the body, too!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123May 17th, 2011, 9:25 pm
Oscoda, MI

I LOVE IT!!!! So will the bass...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FredHMay 18th, 2011, 9:09 am
Lake Charles , Louisiana

Thanks Kurt,Jason and Johnathon . I have'nt done a sbs on this particular frog but here is a link to it's predecesser which is done in a like manner using the same foam for the body.http://www.realisticflytying.net/id12.html

Thanks , Fred
PaulRobertsMay 18th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Colorado

Very fun! I love the sculpted head.
FredHMay 18th, 2011, 8:39 pm
Lake Charles , Louisiana

Thanks Paul. I'm waiting for a rainy, nasty weekend when I can't hit the water , to make up a bunch of these and get creative with the coloring.
Jmd123May 18th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hey, I got my first popper-caught bass of the year today! A nice fat 14-incher from a different part of the marsh where I fish, sort of an enhanced oxbow lake with a berm & water-control structure. No pics, figured I'd save him the extra 30 seconds of stress and drying out since I think he may have been sitting on a nest - he came out of a spot where I had been seeing big swirls on the surface. He hit a dark brown & yellow cork-bodied popper I tied up & painted last year, sucked it in with a big loud CHOPE!!! Actually had a green sunfish get the danged thing all the way into his mouth too! Caught some other chunky pumpkinseed, greens, and hybrids out of the main pond I have been fishing on WBs and KBFs, but the bass there all have lockjaw, not even a hit today.

Fred, throw those at your big fat Louisiana bass and send us some pics of them with the Bullfrogs hanging out of their mouths!

Jonathon

P.S. Our trout streams are all high, muddy, and cold from recent rains, so I'll be focusing on bass until things get a little warmer & drier around here...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.