or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Southern Vermont

Report at a Glance

General RegionBennington County
Specific LocationWalloomsac, Moon, Dog, Furnace
Time of Day0700-0830
Fish CaughtBrook trout
Conditions & Hatchesobserved mayflies, caddis and mosquitoes above water and on foliage, larva and nymphs in streams

Details and Discussion

BilljMay 9th, 2011, 8:54 am
sunderland, vermont

A short and successful turkey hunt this AM left us time to fish the cricks on the way home, waters are at perfect levels and falling.

Most took wets readily, royal coachmans and silver doctors #12 and #14

A nice batch of fish for breakfast.

AdirmanMay 9th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Monticello, NY

Dude, thats alotta fish to keep!! Whats the creel limit in Vermont/day?
Don't get me wrong, as I like to keep a few now and then myself for the grill but I'll tell ya, on some F.F. forums the guys would be all over you for even keeping one!!
TroutnutMay 9th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Yeah I don't want to jump on the new guy prematurely, but that picture made me wonder, too!

When you post a pic of that many kept trout it's important to mention how many fishermen caught them, whether they're wild or stocked, or basically anything else to make it clear that one or two guys didn't just hammer all the big brookies out of a mile of some nice little wild trout stream. That's what some people assume when they see a picture like that... so, say it ain't so! ;)

Congrats on the turkey!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CkashnerMay 11th, 2011, 7:16 am
Southwestern Vermont

The Walloomsac is an excellent river in Southern Vermont. It gets really good hatches and fly fishes very well. The State of Vermont has a daily limit of 12 TROUT (SICK)....of which only 6 maybe be either Browns/Rainbows....So all 12 trout legally taken can be Brook Trout. These trout are HATCHERY fish, the State of Vermont stocked 1100 Brook Trout that were 9.4" on May 5th 2011....following is a link to stocking page
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/StockingResults.cfm

I am even a newer guy and I live and fish the Walloomsac very often....so please let me do the jumping....hammering and killing pellet trout 4 days after they stock is pathetic.....I hope you fried onions with your liver tasting fish....
TroutnutMay 11th, 2011, 2:25 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

so please let me do the jumping....hammering and killing pellet trout 4 days after they stock is pathetic.....

I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. I'd be concerned if they were wild trout. Based on what you described, it sounds like that stream is a put-and-take fishery, where the state stocks far more fish than the stream can naturally support, with the expectation that most of them will be caught and kept pretty quickly. That's the kind of place where it's alright to keep a nice mess of trout for dinner, and it's no more damaging then buying a dozen farm-raised trout in the supermarket.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.