Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Fishing Books

OldredbarnMay 5th, 2011, 2:19 pm
Novi, MI

I have made it a habit each year from January to Opening Day to read a couple books to get myself primed for the upcoming season. Sometimes they are new or just new to me and at other times they are re-reads of books I can't get enough of...Ernie's fishing trip books are good to get you psyched up and I can't tell you how many times I've read his, "Portrait of the Pere Marquette". The same has been true for me of Datus Proper's, "What the Trout Said"...

Last year it was our good friend Gonzo's wonderful book, "Fly Fishing Pressured Waters",(Lloyd Gonzales) and this year I re-read the anniversay edition of "Selective Trout". They have added some new stuff especially in terms of the section on caddis since Carl Richards had written a couple books along this line since the original publication of "Selective Trout" back in the early 70's...I especially enjoyed the nod they gave my friend Bill Monahan in the anniversary edition.

Since they fished so much in the beginning on the Au Sable and Carl had a place there we have come to think of this book as an Au Sable book...Except for professor McCafferty changing a bunch of the mayfly's names one could pick up the original edition and have a pretty good handle on the major hatches up there...The extra section in the new edition on caddis has only enhanced this.

The second book I'm half way through right now is Ed Engles, "Fishing Small Flies". He spoke at the Michigan Fly Fishing Club's spring banquet and sold and autographed books after...It came out in 2005 and for what its worth I highly recommend it, especially to someone starting out. His writing style is very straight forward and having been a guide he has quite a bit of insight, in my humble opinion, and is very sharing with it. I am really enjoying it...

I think that the sections in Engle's book on tactics harkens back to Swisher & Richards', "Fly Fishing Strategy" which came out on the heels of "Selective Trout's" success. I think too, that his reminders to the angler to stop and make streamside observations and not just fish, if heeded, would make us all better anglers.

To me every trip to the river is about learning something new and exploring things that may help me understand a little more the game we are playing...It's not just about how many fish I hassled, their size etc...It's about having a chance to be there in those wonderful places, filling my lungs with some fresh air, chilling out a bit, and puzzling over the wily ways of trout...If I could know that every time I approached the stream all I had to do to catch trout was to walk down the middle of the river and my every cast was a hookup I would eventually become bored and find something else to do. I guess I just need the challenges our favorite sport can offer, that sometimes one tough trout can offer...What other sport can boast a library as great as fly fishings? All in the great pursuit of the pea-brained trout.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
RogueratNovember 21st, 2013, 4:19 pm
Winter reading

I pretty well wore out the local library's copy of Linsenmann's Trout Streams of Michigan, umpteen times checking it out (I think they keep it under the counter for me...).
Anyway, I've ordered 'Mayflies of Michigan Trout Streams' by Leonard, after a friend loaned me his copy to scope. This, along with Mel Krieger's 'The Essence of Fly Casting-' just to soak up technique-, and tying for next Spring's hatches will at least get me through January before things get antsy. Coupled with the occasional foray on the Rogue for Steelhead, should be an OK winter.

Tight lines to all, and have a blessed Thanksgiving1

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Al514November 21st, 2013, 4:57 pm
Central New York

"The Mind of the Trout", by Thomas C Grubb Jr.

Awesome read. I'm really into how things work, especially trout and their behavior. There is so much good information in this book. Highly recommended!
RogueratDecember 22nd, 2013, 3:18 pm
Fly fishing (tying) books, addendum-

I just got a copy of Hatch Guide to Upper Midwest Streams, by Ann Miller, as an early Christmas present.

This is a compact book, maybe 4 x 6", with approx 345 pages of comprehensive information on naturals and their imitations. I'm finding a lot of good stuff to work with- the left page has a color photo of the natural along with pertinent data, and the right page has a photo of some of the more common (and uncommon) tied versions.
Just in time to practice my tying chops, and show some new creations to my long-suffering, all-female family stuck at home over the holidays...'That's nice, dear, it looks cute, it really looks like a bug!'

Merry Christmas to all,

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'

OldredbarnDecember 22nd, 2013, 11:13 pm
Novi, MI

Rougerat,

I'm the corresponding secretary for my fishing club, the Michigan Fly Fishing Club. One of my duties is setting up speakers for our speaker meetings during the winter months.

We had Ann Miller as our guest speaker in December. It is an awesome book. The best book for Michigan since Selective Trout...and the science is up-to-date as well.

When I visited those Pennsylvania Boys in PA last April I gave each of them an Ann Miller autographed copy. Also a couple of the flies in there tied by the wonderful Grayling tyer Jerry Regan.

Great book.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JOHNWDecember 23rd, 2013, 5:46 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Spence,
I have a recommendation for you if you are able to find it as it is out of print.
Bodines or Camping on the Lycoming
A Complete Practical Guide to Fly Fishing and Camping Out
by Thad S. Up De Graff M.D.

This was originally printed in 1879 and then reprinted again in 1994.

Being a man of history I think you will find it a fascinating read of years gone by and just how deeply the fly fishing tradition is ingrained in the hearts of "Those Pennsy Boys".

If need be I might be able to arrange a loan from my Fishing Library.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
TroutnutDecember 31st, 2013, 3:18 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

"The Mind of the Trout", by Thomas C Grubb Jr.

Awesome read. I'm really into how things work, especially trout and their behavior. There is so much good information in this book. Highly recommended!

Agreed. As many of you probably know, I wrote a in-depth review of The Mind of the Trout earlier this year.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.