Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Here we go again...

KeystonerMarch 29th, 2011, 5:55 am
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Well, it's March 29th, and yet another Opening Day is rabidly approaching. A double edged sword to be sure. On one hand I am excited by the prospect of being able to feel my hands. On the other, I am very sorry to see the solitude and open water of winter melt away just like the snow on the country hills.

However, as this is my third year fishing, and my second year with the fly rod, Opening Day also presents an oppurtunity to reflect. A milestone of sorts. This time last year, for me, was VERY HARD. I had barely any clue what I was doing, and "skunked" was a way of life. This year I am feeling much better. I've done well all winter, and will be casting flies that I have tied on that fateful morning. While this is mostly attibuted to my own perserverance, I also want to extend a hearty THANK YOU to all the guys on this site who have helped me with advice and encouragement in the past year. You are the reason why this site is great.

This Saturday, as I sit in camp with my buddy, waiting for the starting pistol to sound, I will be sure to raise a beer to all of you. Have a great season!!!
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Jmd123March 29th, 2011, 9:45 am
Oscoda, MI

Keystoner, I wish you the best of luck! May your weather be fair and the fish be enthusiastic about your flies. I was hoping for an "opener" of sorts of my own this past weekend, however our weather hasn't been cooperating - there's still too much ice on top of the bluegills and crappies for me to throw flies at them yet...

GOOD LUCK!! And take a camera so you can show us your results.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
KeystonerMarch 31st, 2011, 5:50 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Thanks Jonathon!

There is now zero work between me, and "Trout Camp 2011." So sweet. Still not sure what the weathers gonna do. I guess it could get pretty interesting. Really, as long as the stream holds, EVERYTHING else is just details. Also, that's affirmative on the camera. With any luck I'll have some beautiful black and white exposures to share with the group, after this weekend.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
AdirmanApril 13th, 2011, 2:57 pm
Monticello, NY

Keystoner;

I know exactly how you feel my friend as I was once there as were all of us!! I started flyfishing around 2001 or so and i clearly remember that my first year, I caught 3 fish on a fly!! Each year, I got a little bit better and although I never would consider myself a good Flyfisherman, I'm a LOT better I'd say based on my success rate!! I joined this website last year 'cause it's helped me with my fly recognition skills( best website I've found on the NET for learning your bugs!!)which were non-existent before I joined!! Good luck this season!!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.