Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > HEDDON FLY REEL

BRYMarch 17th, 2011, 4:20 am
south carolina

HEY
I have a MARK IV model 11 that was my dads it works but I need a screw that goes on the face anybody have any suggestions not interested in getting rid of it just repair probably not even use it
BDURHAM
FalsiflyMarch 17th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Hayward, WI.

BRY,
I’m sure that Heddon used American Screw Threads falling under the inch-measuring system. There are basically four parameters that would determine the proper fastener.

• Screw diameter
  • Number of threads per inch
  • Length in whole number and/or fraction of an inch
  • Screw head type i.e. countersunk or protruding head. These will break down further into more specific head designs and drive type such as Slotted or Phillips.

From there a choice can be made as to material, say stainless, or chrome plated steel Etc. If you can take the reel to any person knowledgeable in threaded fasteners I’m sure they can tell you what you need, but finding just one may be the problem.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
BRYMarch 17th, 2011, 6:00 pm
south carolina

THANKS Yeah i have been to several hardware stores and even a metal supply with know luck the biggest problem is something that small just isnt readily available its a 4 40 about an 1/8 to 3/8 maybe
BDURHAM
EntomanMarch 22nd, 2011, 12:38 am
Northern CA & ID

Hi BRY -

Can it be assumed the "real" value is sentimental? I have a lot of my Dad's old tackle too, and wouldn't dream of using it. It seems every time I look at the stuff I relive very pleasant memories. I don't know much about Heddon reels, but if made before at least as late as the 80's (when we still made stuff) they used American screws and I'm also pretty sure that the screws used for the frames were pretty standardized. You might be able to find an old used reel for sale and use it for parts? I doubt that you would have to get the same model for the screws to be interchangeable. Also look at Martin and Pflueger reels as well. Who knows? Maybe their screws would work. May have to spend a buck or two more, but you'll save a lot of time. Just a thought.

Best regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BRYMarch 28th, 2011, 3:21 pm
south carolina

Thanks for the ideas yeah been looking for old used ones as well
BDURHAM

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.