Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Wild Country

Rckymtn_fshFebruary 11th, 2011, 10:34 am
Divide, CO

So I am an avid small stream fly fisherman, and have been on the search for a perfect small stream rod. I was wondering if anyone has used or heard anything about Wild Waters Wild Country fly rod. Here is the link; http://shop.wildwaterflyfishing.com/HX3-056-4-Wild-Country-Fly-Rod-0001.htm . A 4 piece, 3 wt, and only 5' 6". I am looking for something very short as my local creeks have lots of overhanging cover. Thanks for any info!!

Matt
"These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it."
-- Dick Blalock

PaulRobertsFebruary 12th, 2011, 4:20 pm
Colorado

Price is right. IMO costly high modulus graphite isn't needed on short rods, bc lesser materials can provide plenty of rigidity for rods up to 7-1/2ft.

If this is to be your only small stream rod though, you might find 5’6” a bit short. Problem is, you have to get sooooo close to reach past the lip currents, or keep line off turbulence. And on such creeks bankside vegetation won’t often let you approach from the side. With SUCH a short rod, your stealth, leader configurations, and casting skills will be critical. Better off with a, ~7ft, and apply bow-n-arrow casting for those tight tunnels. If you have other rods, such a short rod could be fun. I’ve read of guys that use powerful 5ft 5wts to fire casts under stuff –but this is for fishing active flies like streamers.

Never have too many rods really. My small stream rods run from 6ft to 8ft, and everything in between.

Just some thoughts.
Rckymtn_fshFebruary 13th, 2011, 9:21 am
Divide, CO

Thanks for the reply! I have four other rods already ranging from 9' to 8' 6", 5/6/9 weights. The closest creek to me at the widest is only 4ft across, with LOTS of cover. I was looking at the super short rod because it is easier to maneuver in the willow tunnels. A lot of the casting and moving is on hands and knees!! I think a 7ft rod would be sufficient though. Are there any suggestions on brand? Not wanting an expensive one as the area and I are very hard on them... See above comment on hands and knees crawling! Anyways thanks again for your replies.
"These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it."
-- Dick Blalock

JesseFebruary 13th, 2011, 6:08 pm
Matt brother if i was you id do a 12-15wt rod, maybe in the 7'6-8'6ft range (maybe custom made) and i would just use that to blast through the brush! What do you you say?
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Jmd123February 13th, 2011, 6:13 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a little bitty rod myself these days. I know of a few little creeks that hold quite a few trout, and anything longer than 7' would be impossible. I'm thinking of something in the 6' - 6 1/2' range in maybe a 2 or 3 weight. It looks like St Croix makes an Imperial model in this size range, also possibly Echo. Any thoughts?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsFebruary 14th, 2011, 9:05 am
Colorado

Well.... there are two schools of thought, one that mirrors archery and opens up incessant debates there: Mass (as Jesse suggests lol) or speed... I'll spare you.

First:
Pick a line weight that will handle the flies bulk (wind resistance) and/or weight (as in shot) you will need to throw. A 2wt is a 'toy' IMO. A 3 is still plenty light for fight, and will handle shallow fishing just fine -small to med flies and/or some micro-shot. If you want to extend your range in stream size and depth a bit, a 4wt is going to allow you to nymph that amazing hidden deep cut that you stumbled onto. A 4 is simply more versatile and doesn't kill the fight. A 5wt, or even 6wt, will allow you to punch through light brush (twigs and leaves) that will snare lighter lines. Trout fight fine on these too, since you're fighting fish close in and usually have only the taper and leader out.

Second:
Rod length. Too short and you have to get toooo close. Too long is a pain to handle. If I had to choose one for really tiny to little streams it would a 7ft. If I had to choose one for little to small streams, it would be a 7-1/2. For small to med streams (we're not into rivers here yet), I like an 8ft. If I wanted ONE "small stream" rod, it would be the 7-1/2.

Again, bow-n-arrow casting does a ton for you -offering inches accuracy and instant line control. You can shoot with the fly pinched in your fingers, or some leader and even line coiled up and pinched in your fingers. You can throw a surprising distance this way. Too wimpy a rod is a detriment here though.

Lotsa good rods out there. Some I've seen and liked are the Cortland Brook series. They have a 6'6" 3wt and a 7' 3wt. I have the latter and it's been my little crick GoTo lately. It has a stronger tip than my 6'6 Loomis so I can b-n-a cast better with it. I throw either a 3 or 4 on it.

Also nice IMO are the lower line Redington's. They build power into them, which I like. The Red2Fly (I think it's called) and the Crosswater are both low priced and powerful 7-1/2 4wts.

I've really liked the Imperial's and used to suggest those as the rod for my "apprentices" back when I was teaching FF. I don't know the new versions or the specific rod you're thinking of though.
BenjlanFebruary 14th, 2011, 8:20 pm
Cedar Rapids lowa

Jonathon,

I've been stuck on my lamiglas fiberglass rods here lately. I have a 7ft 3wt and a 7 1/2 ft 4wt. The 3wt I love for casting dry flies. This rod does all the work for you. It makes even me look like a pro. The 4wt I use for nymphs, It roll casts great. I know a guy in Oregon that built both of these for me.....CHEAP. If you want to know more PM me, I don't think it is proper to advertise on this site? Both of these rods cast slow, I like this, it gives me time to drop the fly in the perfect spot. The 4wt also is nice for small streamers.

These choices are my picks, probably not everybody's choice. If you get to Iowa some time let me know, your welcome to try them out. I just know they work good for me.

Ben
Rckymtn_fshFebruary 15th, 2011, 9:16 am
Divide, CO

@Jesse, I think I'll go for the 15wt with a built in machete to clear the way!!!! I normally use a 5wt 8'6" rod on these creeks and honestly it is just way to long. It is good for dapping dries into hard to reach pools but it is to long for even bow and arrow casting. I think the longest I would is 6' 6" for this creek. Line weight isnt a huge issue cause even the nymphs Im throwing are size 22 and smaller. I would like to feel more of a fight, thought the 5wt does fine, because most of the fish are 6 to 8 in long. I have gotten some nice 12in though.... I will check out the Cortland Brook series though, thanks for suggestion.
-- Dick Blalock

PaulRobertsFebruary 15th, 2011, 12:05 pm
Colorado

They're about 180 bucks. Can certainly go less for a short rod. Cabela's has some too, for much less. But I haven't seen them. Just assuming they are just fine in short lengths.

I like the machete idea! A pair of nippers works but a machete would feel better sometimes lol.
MartinlfFebruary 16th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Palmyra PA

Paul, what a helpful analysis. I'm going to cut and paste it into MSWord, just to have it for the future. Thanks for sharing your years of small stream experience with us.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.