Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Caddis egg sac color

DryflyJanuary 28th, 2011, 12:16 pm
rochester mn

Anyone know what color caddis egg sacs come in? I've tied some with orange and chartruese but have never actually seen them.
TaxonJanuary 28th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Shane-

It would depend on the species of caddisfly, but I believe a shade of green from chartreuse to dark green would be the most common caddisfly ova color.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
DryflyJanuary 29th, 2011, 11:31 am
rochester mn

Thanks
WalleyeFebruary 19th, 2011, 7:15 am
180 Prospect Ave, Gloversville, NY, 12078

I've seen two different colors: Green and Yellowish orange. The green colors can be just green to a bright green. The yellowish colors vary also from more yellow to more orange. While fishing at Fishermans Paradise in Penn I once observed caddis dropping their egg sacs from the air (3-6') and trout gulping them up as they dropped. I carry a fly tyiing kit, and tied up a fly on a 26 or 28 hook and caught a nice brown right away. I went home and tied up a bunch in the two or three colors. I have not used them since, but keep them with me.
Every trout is a trophy!
RogueratMay 1st, 2012, 1:32 pm
Caddis egg sac...sort of late reply on this but,

I spent Sunday afternoon on the Rogue, they were hitting sulphur wets and little black caddis dries in 18's and 20's. When I got out of my waders they were covered with caddis egg sacs, sort of a medium grey-green (more green), about the size of a straight-pin head. I'm heading to my tying bench tonight, get some dupe's cranked out.

My bamboo resto-rod is getting closer to fishability; I used my buddy Chad's 5-wt Sunday and had to slow waaaay down on the casting stroke- it'll be a learning curve but should be fun nonetheless.

The Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
PaulRobertsMay 1st, 2012, 2:12 pm
Colorado

Never too late for good info.
EntomanMay 1st, 2012, 6:51 pm
Northern CA & ID

Check out this photo of a Lepidostoma (Brown Sedge) egg packet.
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/2434/Little-Brown-Sedge-Lepidostoma-podagrum-Little-Brown-Sedge/2
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrenoMay 1st, 2012, 11:34 pm
Grants Pass, OR

From what I have seen, caddis egg sacs range through any color within the whites, tans, yellows, browns and greens depending on taxa. They change colors as they age over the hours they are around. I think they get darker with time. I don't know much physiology/chemistry but I do know that brachycentrid egg masses will stick to the old sealdry waders and the protein or whatever makes them stick leaves little pits in the wader.
EntomanMay 2nd, 2012, 5:02 am
Northern CA & ID

but I do know that brachycentrid egg masses will stick to the old sealdry waders and the protein or whatever makes them stick leaves little pits in the wader.

Ah! I remember those marks and always assumed they were just a mysterious effect from oxidation. Thanks for the insight, Dave.

From what I have seen, caddis egg sacs range through any color within the whites, tans, yellows, browns and greens depending on taxa. They change colors as they age over the hours they are around. I think they get darker with time.

I'm sure you are right generally, but lest anybody be confused the blackish egg mass in the photo I took was only seconds detached.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
RogueratMay 2nd, 2012, 8:53 am
YIKES! pitted waders...I need to hose them off again, check for any damage.

Hindsight, I can only vouch for green egg-sacs here in West MI- no doubt they're differing for geography and subspecies, etc. as the responses above indicate.

We're about 3 weeks ahead of things as far as hatches go- mid-March had temps in the 80's so it jump-started spring...

The Roguerat

EntomanMay 2nd, 2012, 7:31 pm
Northern CA & ID

I wouldn't worry, Rogue. Your waders are fine. Creno and I were talking about the old pure latex Seal-Dri waders. They were really just giant balloons shaped like the lower half of a human. :) I don't think the egg substance has any effect on the outer fabric of today's waders.
RogueratMay 2nd, 2012, 8:28 pm
Entoman-

My beloved wife took the time to wipe my breathables down using a damp washcloth, got rid of every last egg-sac...did this while I was at work today- the kind of thing that makes me choke up. I think a 2-day getaway is in order, taking a rod or two just in case though.

I also ran across a classic Michgan fly called the Au Sable Queen which bears a remarkable resemblance to the black caddis' I encountered on the Rogue Sunday, egg sac and all. I'm tying some up before my next outing, but wonder if a peacock herl body is possible on 20's.

The Roguerat

EntomanMay 4th, 2012, 11:14 am
Northern CA & ID

My beloved wife took the time to wipe my breathables down using a damp washcloth, got rid of every last egg-sac.

Wow, I don't know what to say other than don't show her my last post!:)
ShantiMay 4th, 2012, 4:50 pm
Sweden

On my swedish rivers I've only seen different shades of green/yellow.
Never really looked that close either..
I like the idea of imitating this with some bright green poly yarn for the sake of adding some color.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
RogueratMay 4th, 2012, 6:59 pm
If I'm taking my 2 youngest girls fishing (15 and 18 yrs, both pretty good novice casters) my wife brings a folding-chair; good spot on the bank, a good novel, and always ready with encouragement. We're heading north this weekend to make good on the 2 days away, if recent rains haven't muddied the river I'd like to try the Platte upstream of Honor, MI. Pre-canoe/tube/kayak season, can't be all bad!

The Roguerat

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.