BenjlanJanuary 13th, 2011, 3:45 pm
Cedar Rapids lowa

Hey ya'll,

Anyone here fish with glass?
ShantiJanuary 14th, 2011, 3:41 am
Sweden

Yep!
A friend gave me one some time ago.
It's a old Fibatube, it has no info on the blank but it casts a #5-line good, perhaps even better with a #6.
I'm not sure if it's 8' or 8,6.

I'll put a new handle on it and use it for my small streams with seatrouts in them.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
EricdJanuary 14th, 2011, 2:13 pm
Mpls, MN

I was just out fishing with a new friend who was talking about building a "tadpole." It was the first I've heard of it and I'm having a hard time finding specific instructions on them. He was saying that fiberglass, to some, is a happy medium between graphite and bamboo. I'd guess the medium is regarding the cost and action of the rod. I have an eye open for a good fiberglass rod to try.

Eric
BenjlanJanuary 14th, 2011, 7:46 pm
Cedar Rapids lowa

Hey guys,

I have several old Heddons and Mcgills, I like them but I also have a 7ft 3wt lamiglas that I love. It's a real joy to cast on small streams.

I've always heard that the old fiberglass Fenwicks were really nice casting. I've been thinking about finding one. Does anyone here have any expertise on these rods?

Ben
PharmtomJanuary 18th, 2011, 3:30 pm
Posts: 1I have a glasstech 6 foot 3 weight that is a lot of fun on small streams when there is no wind. Every fish seems like a lunker!
McjamesJanuary 19th, 2011, 8:08 am
Cortland Manor, NY

i have a 7.5 ft 6 wt Orvis Fullflex that I put 5 wt line on, and even 4 wt at times. Someone told me its the last fiberglass model Orvis ever made. It was given to me in the early 90s, I am guessing it was made late 80s. I keep it fully rigged in my car all season just in case I pass by some water... its pretty good for dries but a pain when using large weighted nymphs.
I am haunted by waters
TomMay 30th, 2011, 10:29 am
Missouri

FIBERGLASS IS VERY FORGIVING AND GREAT FOR YOUNG KIDS. ONE HAS TOO WORK TO BREAK THE ROD. I HAD SEVERAL GLASS RODS. NEVER BROKE ONE. THE OLD ONES ARE A BIT HEAVY.
Tom
Jmd123May 30th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Oscoda, MI

Tom is right, fiberglass is considerably more sturdy than graphite. I don't ever remember breaking any fiberglass spinning rods or my first (fiberglass) fly rod, under any circumstances, no matter how hard I torqued on them. On the other hand, I think I've broken just about every graphite fly rod I've ever owned at least once! Good thing almost everyone (including Cabelas) has a return and replace policy these days...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
SayfuAugust 22nd, 2011, 9:09 am
My thoughts on fiberglass are...not much better in the shorter lengths for small fly fishing on lt. tippets. The best of fiberglass is "S" glass. More responsive, less vibrations in the blank once the tip stops, light in the short lengths, and they can be dressed to look very attractive. I'd like on with just the wrings for a reel seat. a 7 fter is ideal.
RogueratAugust 24th, 2011, 4:05 pm
IF everything goes as planned (when does that ever happen!?) I plan on wrapping a 7' 3-wt Lamiglas blank this winter,for small-stream fishing here in Michigan. I just read ANOTHER article in American Angler on the virtues of 'glas' and how supple, forgiving, easy to cast, etc, it can be vs. graphite- especially in the shorter lengths and for reasonable casting distances.
I used a friend's somewhat antique 'glas rod this summer, it had been his dad's and was a family heirloom but still very usable. Smooooooth, a lot slower and 'heavier' feeling than my St Croix Avid collection (which took getting used to),it sold me on adding a 'glas rod to my arsenal.
SayfuAugust 25th, 2011, 9:23 am
My negative thoughts on glass, are the 8-9fters that a student would bring to our fly fishing schools that they wanted to learn on telling us this was Granddads rod that was passed on to them. Ouch! They were terrible to learn on...heavy, and way too flexy with lots of vibrations put into the line when cast. I had about 5-6 of them in 8-8.5' lengths that I put in a barrel and sold for 50 cents each at a garage sale. The shorter, S Glass blanks are superb. Cabelas as a 50 yr. Anniversary S glass rod in 7 and 7.5' lengths with the shorter one having only rings for a reel seat. This may have encouraged me to get one. I think the line wt. is a #5 Cost, $100
JesseAugust 25th, 2011, 12:57 pm
I have before but don't have one for myself. I wish i had a nice fiberglass rod though they're fun!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.