Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Is anyone here from Colorado

SundulaSeptember 12th, 2006, 9:20 pm
Littleton, Colorado

The reason I am asking is in regards to the posting of reports, and if they are of any intrest to anyone.
TroutnutSeptember 12th, 2006, 9:57 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I'm not from Colorado but they're still of interest. :) The first real trout stream I ever saw closely was the Colorado River up in Rocky Mnt National Park. I remember it really clearly even though I was there several years before I did my first real trout fishing.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
HighFlyerAugust 11th, 2008, 1:55 pm
Minnesota

My brother lives right there near you in Boulder. I definitely plan on bringing my fly gear next time I visit and spending a couple days camping/fly fishing somewhere. I don't know when that will be, but it'll happen eventually.

Let me know if you've found any good streams that I can hit when I visit.
"Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job."
~by Paul Schullery~

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
~by Henry David Thoreau~
FalsiflyAugust 11th, 2008, 2:32 pm
Hayward, WI.

Sundula,
Spent ten years living in Littleton and my son is currently in Denver. I'm always interested in reports from one of my favorite flyfishing states.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
MartinlfAugust 12th, 2008, 8:02 am
Palmyra PA

Sundula,

And any others from the far reaches. I love hearing reports from wherever. Some of my favorite ones on this site came from Europe, Greece if I remember correctly.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CrenoAugust 12th, 2008, 9:29 pm
Grants Pass, OR

I note that this thread started 2 years ago - Is Sundula still in CO? If so I am near Broadway and Orchard. Don't fish much anymore more but still spend some time at their habitats as I collect caddis.
HighFlyerAugust 13th, 2008, 6:47 am
Minnesota

yeah, I realized that it was older when I bumped it. But I figured that even if the original poster isn't still around, that there might be others in that area.

I just didn't want to come in as a new poster and start a bunch of new threads, so I went back and found others that I could just comment on.
~by Paul Schullery~

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
~by Henry David Thoreau~
MartinlfAugust 18th, 2008, 2:59 pm
Palmyra PA

Love the Thoreau quotation.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
HighFlyerAugust 19th, 2008, 11:54 am
Minnesota

Yeah, I did a simple Google search for "Fly Fishing Quotes" and got back a page of them.

That's my favorite too.
~by Paul Schullery~

~by Henry David Thoreau~
SayfuOctober 13th, 2012, 11:03 am
Got an interesting report on fishing from my perspective anyway on my SF of the Snake. I had a boat mishap recently to say it mildly. A guy with both a powerful jetboat, and a driftboat that once was a Canadian Outfitter/guide service ran me up to the mishap and looked for some salvageable items. But here is the report on fishing. Our water is clear, cooling and dropping now. And it is the starting of brown trout spawning. This guy, and whomever was in the driftboat with him the other day, hooked and landed 77 fish per his report. He said, "the browns are just now getting aggressive." They float the high bank, faster water, and throw big, heavy streamers, preferring white, but also olive and browns. They use heavy, hybrid sinking lines. I told him about my furled leaders, as really good at turning over flies, and he dismissed it all....didn't apply to him. He finally says, "the fish don't care." He uses a big hunk of heavy butt mono, and tied to that a 17 lb. tippet! I told him about my problem with that per when I snag up, and having to break off. He says, "the 17 lb will generally straighten out the streamer hook! They hooked and landed 6 browns over 20". He also said they landed some huge cutthroat on dries. I said I like to throw a 2, or 3x long shanked golden stone looking dry in #8, or a big number #6. He says, "we throw #2's and 4's at the smallest. Completely reframed my thinking regarding matching a bug a trout is used to seeing, and his approach to drawing fish up with lots of protein. I fished with the guy one time, and had to pass on further outings, as my joints can't cast and strip throwing big streamers, and heavy lines anymore for a very long time, and then rowing as well.
WestCOOctober 13th, 2012, 12:01 pm
Palisade, CO

Western Colorado checking in. And since we're doing fishing quotes, I'll add my new favorite, from Salmon Fishing in the Yemen:

But still there are mysteries to me. The rich are frightened of the poor, the poor are frightened of the rich, even your politicians... but fishermen I have noticed, they don't care if I'm rich or poor, wearing robes or waders, all they care about is the fish, the river, and the game we play. For fishermen, the only virtues are patience, tolerance, and humility. I like this.
...but fishermen I have noticed, they don't care if I'm rich or poor, wearing robes or waders, all they care about is the fish, the river, and the game we play. For fishermen, the only virtues are patience, tolerance, and humility. I like this.
CrenoOctober 13th, 2012, 2:14 pm
Grants Pass, OR

Interesting this popped up today - I am in the process of moving to OR and trying to downsize alot of fishing and other natural history periodicals. Anyone withing driving range of Denver, or wants to pay postage, contact me with a private message
creno
SayfuOctober 19th, 2012, 10:30 am
Posts: 560Wish John Denver were here! Met the guy once as a customer before he died. A very pleasant fellow.
OldredbarnOctober 21st, 2012, 11:47 pm
Novi, MI

Dave...Is everyone moving to OR these days or what?! Just a couple years back Keystoner (Matt) headed out that way and there's that show called "Portlandia"...and now you...Good luck with everything and keep in touch.

Sayfu...John Denver??? :) Here's an oddity concerning JD...I attended a voter registration drive in 1972 at University of Detroit. I was in that group of 18 year olds when they changed the voting rules to allow 18 year olds to vote. He was there and few of us knew who he was. :) Peter & Paul, of Peter, Paul, & Mary fame were there as well.

Most of that group of youngsters were geeked up about voting and George McGovern who just passed away a couple days back.

I guess these "are" gray hairs in my beard! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanOctober 22nd, 2012, 2:34 am
Northern CA & ID

There are? Only A few though... Today you are my friend, but starting tomorrow you are an enemy for awhile, if things go well... Go Gigantes!!! :)

May the current blonde cutie do for Verlander what the other one did for Romo in Dallas! :)
(Note - this curse only applies if the Giants win. The prev. Cards manager hates hunters and anglers (he's a PETA guy) so besides being nowhere near trout country, we all have reason to hate them!:)

Tony - Sorry about those seafaring thieves... They were a real threat for a (short) while... :)

I'm a purist & hate the concept of "wild cards", but I'm thankful that the Nats were eliminated. They were real "Giant killers" during the regular season! :)

BTW - Casey, how the heck does a PA gal end up rooting for them?

BTW2 - To cut off any snide comments, I freely admit that only in Nor Cal can the star player have the same name as a flower... Live with it! :)LOL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnOctober 23rd, 2012, 7:43 pm
Novi, MI

Oh no! Here we go!!! :)

Posey is one thing but isn't Angel Pagan an oxymoron?! :) Its either one or the other, eh?

As much as I'm trying not to get baited here :) I'm looking forward to a good World Series...These two teams have been running on all cylinders of late...Peaking at the right time.

I remember skipping school to watch the final game in 1968 at a friends home...His family had the better TV...I was dating my wife when I took her to the Pennant clinching game in 1984...What a wild night that was, but not as wild as when they won it all later.

I worked that night and was driving a truck with papers from the Free Press...The strangest thing I saw that night was a half a dozen folks standing along the curb in the rain in front of a restaurant in the burbs doing the wave as honking cars drove by.

Does anyone remember Bubba? Every newspaper around the globe had his face on it standing in front of a burning Detroit Police crusier the day after the Tigers won it all in 84. Turns out he wasn't even at the game but drove down after and admitted to sharing a fifth of Jack Daniels on the way down and a "dube" or two with the guy that was driving...He couldn't remember.

I have a friend that is a reporter and he was in Little Rock just after the Tigers won it in 84 and had me down for a college football game...Razorbacks/Texas A&M. We were at a pre-game party and all the boys were in the kitchen around the keg and the girls in the front room. Some of these guys were sports reporters for the paper...Being polite southern boys they seemed to have something on their minds but couldn't bring themselves to ask me...

I finally said, "Fellas. Is there something on your minds? What is it?" Finally one of the guys, head bowed down as if ashamed to ask, said, "You are from Detroit...About this guy Bubba and the burning police car...What was that all about?!" I looked at everyone in the room with a straight face, tongue in cheek of course, and said, "In Detroit...Well its a blue-collar workingmans town...We work hard and pay our taxes. If we want to burn a police cruiser, we paid for the damn thing, well let it burn!"

You could of heard a pin drop! I finally said, "I'm just kidding fellas!, really."

Go Tigers....

Hey. How did we go from a post about Colorado to a post about the World Series on a fishing blog...Ouch!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanOctober 23rd, 2012, 10:15 pm
Northern CA & ID

Posey is one thing but isn't Angel Pagan an oxymoron?! :) Its either one or the other, eh?

Ha! Well, as that great theologian Obi Wan said, "from a certain POV", yes. But you have to admit that name fits San Francisco quite well if you think about it. Did you see the "bearded one" dancing in the dugout? Brought me back to Haight-Ashbury days! :):)LOL

How did we go from a post about Colorado to a post about the World Series?

I plead guilty, but with an excuse. Besides not being sure there's even a current theme to hijack running through this thread, I couldn't help myself...:)

Go Giants!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrenoOctober 24th, 2012, 6:24 pm
Grants Pass, OR

Only on Troutnut can you follow a thread from a 2006 request for CO fishing reports to a 2012 discussion of the world series. And all that in what I count to be only 17 posts! That has got be be a record for something. Put it in the books? I don't want to ask if someone knows of a better one - no telling where that would go.......
EntomanOctober 24th, 2012, 6:48 pm
Northern CA & ID

:)
OldredbarnOctober 24th, 2012, 10:55 pm
Novi, MI

Pablo's spanking us all on his own!

"are you going to San Fran cisco..."

Ouch!

Spence

Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.