Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Thoughts on the Season ahead

MotroutDecember 26th, 2010, 4:54 pm
With 3 inches of snow on the ground and temperatures that haven't got above freezing for over a week, fishing is starting to get a little tough. Sure, there is still some fishing on the spring creeks, but in all things have been pretty slow lately and my thoughts are starting to turn to the upcoming season.

I'm just curious if other people start to thinking about fishing trips for the next season in the winter, when the fishing gets tough. Right now, the time I don't spend working or tending to the fire I'm tentatively planning some of the more extensive outings for the upcoming year. I'll definitely try to get back to the Adirondacks and the West Branch of the Ausable (which has become something of annual trip as of late)-and I'm not exactly sure when to plan that. Last year I went in July, and that didn't work out very well because the weather was really hot and the fishing was pretty slow (the idea of hot weather seems a little distant right now). So I'm thinking that might happen sometime in early to mid-June and I'll probably stay for at least a week-maybe two if I can swing it. Then- this is still very tentative and could go either way- I'd like to make it out to Colorado, and fish some of the waters that I grew up on. I spent my early childhood in Northwest Colorado, in a little town called Craig along the Yampa River. So I may try to get out that way and fish the Yampa, as well as the White, Trappers Lake, and other good trout waters in that area.

Other than that, my spring/summer season will include countless trips to local trout and smallie streams, little Ozark creeks that don't add up to much but are fun to fish and pretty secluded. And then later on in summer there will be the float trips on the bigger Ozark rivers-the Current, Eleven Point, and North Fork for trout, and the Big Piney, Gasconade, and Meramec for smallmouth. And mixed in with that there will be many hours spent on the pond right across the street, which is frozen solid now, but in the warm months fishes well for largemouth bass and bluegill on dry flies, and even after all these years still teaches me plenty every time I go out.

Anyone else planning some trips for the upcoming season? I have always loved winter, but I don't think I could make it through it every year without the thought of what fishing will be like come spring.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
WbranchDecember 27th, 2010, 5:32 am
York & Starlight PA

Nile perch in Egypt in January. A couple of trips to Erie for steelhead in March and early April. Weekly trips to NYS in May and June followed by two weeks in Montana in July. Back to the southern tier of NYS in August, September on the Susquehanna for smallmouth. Then closing 2011 in October and November for steelhead in Erie and Gowanda, NY.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Pryal74January 3rd, 2011, 11:53 pm
Escanaba, MI

I really enjoy Motrout's posts. First I will say, we are pretty lucky here, to have a good Steelhead fishery in the Lake Michigan and Lake Superior watersheds. We really never have to hang up our flyrods. It can be quite brutal when the temperature drops and you have wet gloves on.

As far as next year, I plan on hitting Canada. I have talked to a few guides up there who have some great rates and unbelievable fishing oppurtunities. I have not yet pinpointed on a destination but I have plenty of time. I'm tossing around a few places, but definetely somewhere with big Brook Trout. I am guessing somewhere near Quebec/Labrador. All I need is to get near the water. I can handle it from there. Another destination is Newfoundland, although it's a haul. A guide showed me some pictures of numerous Atlantic Salmon and the biggest Brookies I ever saw. He sent me a photo of some they caught in an afternoon. The smallest was 2 lbs 8 oz and the biggest was over 6 pounds. How could I not consider that?

I don't think there is a 30 minute span in a day I don't think about fishing in the future.
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
Jmd123January 4th, 2011, 9:04 am
Oscoda, MI

Moving to the Oscoda, MI area! As soon as my boss and the folks that fund our work get their act together, that is...Which means, FINALLY, I will be living in actual Trout Country again!!! The AuSable, the Rifle, The AuGres, the Pine...not to mention, Tawas Bay, Lake Huron, and too many inland lakes to mention full of panfish, bass (largemouth, smallmouth, and rock), pike, walleye, even some trout too! Just gotta GET THERE...

Jonathon

P.S. I might just be hooking up with Mr. Pryal for some of that Yoo Pee fishin too, eh?
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Pryal74January 4th, 2011, 10:32 pm
Escanaba, MI

Jonathon,

You won't be disappointed, that's for sure! And good for you!
-James Pryal
Jmd123January 5th, 2011, 7:33 am
Oscoda, MI

James, I got the word yesterday - next week I head up there to look for a place to live!!!! YIPPIE!!!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123January 5th, 2011, 8:01 pm
Oscoda, MI

It's confirmed, folks - I actually worked today (did some wetland delineation) and the boss has ordered me a nice expensive dissecting scope for benthics identification. Next week I look for a place to live in the Oscoda/Tawas area. Preferably, back in the woods on a nice little lake full of bass, panfish, pike, etc...

YOU ALL ARE INVITED TO VISIT!!!!! I'll let you know where in the next few weeks!!!!

Jonathon
Pryal74January 6th, 2011, 2:22 am
Escanaba, MI

Excellent!!! Congrats!!!
-James Pryal
ShantiJanuary 6th, 2011, 10:41 am
Sweden

I'm actually planning stuff.
That means this season will at least be a bit different, not necessary better -a fishing season is seldom bad, but still.. different.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.