Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > One letter answer

LastchanceDecember 17th, 2010, 7:40 am
Portage, PA

This requires a one letter reply. I realize I'm asking a lot because brevity is a word foreign to this board. Please, no long winded, esoteric, essays about nothing.

A small creek with fish in it is called:

A.)a rivulet

B.)a rill

C.)a small creek with fish in it

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night? Keep Christ in Christmas and have a great New Year.
Your Friend,
Bruce

P.S. Once written: "If you can't write your idea on the back of my calling (business) card then you don't have a clear idea."
GutcutterDecember 17th, 2010, 8:35 am
Pennsylvania

D.) - none of the above.
it is called a "crick"

All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
OldredbarnDecember 17th, 2010, 12:20 pm
Novi, MI

He isn't talking about me or you is he...Paul? :)

I kind of agree with Tony but I'll just call it a nursery.

Merry Christmas...Right back at you!

Spence the Muted

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JADDecember 17th, 2010, 12:41 pm
Alexandria Pa

I'll take a guess and say.

D-- It"s home to the fish.

Merry Christmas

John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
MotroutDecember 17th, 2010, 1:35 pm
Well, you see, a small stream with trout in it can have a variety of names. If you're in Vermont, New Hampshire, or the Adirondacks, it's a brook, in parts of New York, Pennsylvania, and Vermont, it's called a kill, in southern Missouri it's a "crik" or a "branch", in some parts of the east it's a run. Now which is the best, now that's a hard one. Personally I prefer "creek" because it's generic and most people will know what you mean when you say that, but if you ask my friend in New York, he'd be upset and say that is not a refined enough name and that all small streams shall be referred to as brooks, and if you ask my friend in the southern part of Missouri, they'll tell me to stop talking like one a them northerner-it's a crik for goodness sakes, or a branch if you have to be too awful particular about it. And the same people would refer to a very small stream (one that doesn't always hold water)as a wash. And I almost forgot that in some parts of northern lake country, they call the rivers that connect lakes narrows.

Okay, that's all I've got I think. I was gonna see how long I could make that go (since a short answer was asked for), but I think that's it.

"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
PaulRobertsDecember 17th, 2010, 1:36 pm
Colorado

OK I get it...I think...

A rill by definition could not contain trout.
A rivulet might.
But...C is ...redundant.

Oh, I could go on alright. A meager sampling:

E, F, G,…:
…, river, stream, creek, brook, beck, headwater, reach, spring, seep, feed, tributary, stem, nursery water, flow, current, spate, torrent, cascade, falls, riffle, pool, cut, pocket, basin, head, tail, broken, flat, slick, ‘nervous’ water, ... and on and on….

Let there be no shortage of creative descriptors. But, agreed: if they are used more than once (not tongue in cheek), they should at least be accurate.

Comprende.
LastchanceDecember 17th, 2010, 2:35 pm
Portage, PA

Just playing. Gees I can't even tick you guys off.
Bruce
PaulRobertsDecember 18th, 2010, 6:56 am
Colorado

Now why would you want to do that?
LastchanceDecember 18th, 2010, 8:35 am
Portage, PA

I don't really want to make you mad just thought I might start a humorous exchange.
Bruce
BippieDecember 19th, 2010, 6:36 pm
Altoona, PA

Well..... I'm originally from Portage PA and we always called it a "creek" (pronounced "crick"). ;-)
OldredbarnDecember 20th, 2010, 1:55 pm
Novi, MI

humorous exchange

My grandmother (she grew up in the mountains of Maryland) was stammering one time and trying her damnest to remember its name and blurted out, "You know what it's called Spence! That big ditch out west. What's it's name?"

She was trying to remember Grande Canyon.

This has become a standing family joke many, many years after she has passed...No one can bring up the Grande Canyon with out someone chiming in..."You know! That big ditch out west!"

So, here's my thoughts...If you can actually straddle it with a foot on each side and the damn thing's running between your legs, and it has trout in it, we shall call it a crick (creek)...No trout...It's just a damn ditch.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
LastchanceDecember 20th, 2010, 3:39 pm
Portage, PA

Yep. It's crick where I come from.
Bruce

I also studied ballogy in high school.

Youns's is the plural of youns.
BippieDecember 20th, 2010, 6:06 pm
Altoona, PA

I concur with Lastchance!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.