Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > jenny spinners

Gutcutter has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.8X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.7X larger)
attempt #2 - any thoughts?
attempt #2 - any thoughts?
Shown Full Size
bruce's fly
bruce's fly
GutcutterNovember 30th, 2010, 5:59 pm
Pennsylvania

the mono extended abdomen doesn't show up well
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
LastchanceNovember 30th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Portage, PA

I like it. We gotta try 'em out.
MartinlfDecember 1st, 2010, 4:59 am
Palmyra PA

Nice work!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JADDecember 1st, 2010, 1:17 pm
Alexandria Pa

Now that opens up the thought process. The extended abdomen could be made with hi viz mono or dyed mono Thanks Gutcutter

Nice fly
JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
GutcutterDecember 1st, 2010, 7:33 pm
Pennsylvania

the second extended abdomen is larva lace with mono "tails" threaded through the hollow center.
i'm too computer illiterate to bring up the spinner picture from the other thread to this one...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

LastchanceDecember 2nd, 2010, 7:10 am
Portage, PA

Why did I not receive any credit for that fly Gutcutter? I'm pissed.

Please, somebody ask Gutcutter where he got the idea for that fly? Gees, you think you know someone and then, wham, they wack ya'.

Bruce
OldredbarnDecember 2nd, 2010, 7:58 am
Novi, MI

Why did I not receive any credit for that fly Gutcutter? I'm pissed.

Bruce,

Next spring you'll see them in a bin at your favorite fly shop in PA labelled, "Tony's Tiny Ties"...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
LastchanceDecember 2nd, 2010, 10:08 am
Portage, PA

I believe it, Spence. You think you know someone. I bet he'll copyright it and I won't get any credit or royalties. If a guy doesn't come clean about a fly, what else isn't he telling me--us.
Bruce
JADDecember 2nd, 2010, 11:12 am
Alexandria Pa

Bruce
Tony is not answering you, I think he"s hiding something.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
GutcutterDecember 2nd, 2010, 11:42 am
Pennsylvania

so sorry bruce and john
i was cutting guts and was not on the troutnut site, so i couldn't deal with those horrific accusations.
to come clean - i'll admit that bruce sent me a photo of a fly with clear tubing slit and covering the hook-shank with 2 tails out the back.
i extended the abdomen. sorry for the copyright infringement, buddy.
bruce's fly is now attached to the top of this thread.
i've already hired a patent attorney / pattern attorney...
i promise not to steal your patterns anymore...

OldredbarnDecember 2nd, 2010, 12:16 pm
Novi, MI

sorry for the copyright infringement

Tony,

I think they call that "innovation". At least that's what you can tell the judge. :)

By-the-way...You need to get some lotion on those poor overly hand washed hands of yours. They look dry...

Spence

Oh! I like the flies boys...We will need some reports after you try them out next fall...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
LastchanceDecember 2nd, 2010, 3:45 pm
Portage, PA

Well, Tony took the tubing idea and used it as an extended body. His version is much nicer and cleaner. I didn't take a lot of time on my version. I was experimenting to see how the pieces would come together. Actually, I slid a clear piece of Larva Lace over the hook eye. To take it one more step you could crimp the tubing with a pair of pliers, etc. to give it a segmented look before slipping it over the eye.
I was just busting on Tony. I'm sure there are 10 people who've read this and said, "I've used tubing on dry flies before." There's really nothing too original in fly tying.
KonchuDecember 2nd, 2010, 4:27 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

what kind of tubing is it?
LastchanceDecember 2nd, 2010, 7:04 pm
Portage, PA

I used clear Larva Lace hollow body. Below is the link. You can do a lot of stuff with it. Many places sell it under different names.
Bruce

http://www.unexcelledfishing.com/shop.aspx?id=12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.