Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Where should I relocate to...?

RussJuly 27th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Casper, WY

Looking for help from fellow anglers, I am planning to relocate and am looking for ideas. I prefer to wade fish, and I want to fish in an area that offers really big trout. If money was no object, where would you go? I have fished the North Platte for the past 1.5 years, lived in Yellowstone for 4 years, Bozeman for 4 years, grew up in Vermont and am ready to find the next spot. I think at this point I am limited to the United States. It must offer year-round fishing, so a tailwater is probably the likely choice. Appreciate any help you can offer.
Thank you,
Russ
OldredbarnJuly 27th, 2010, 2:02 pm
Novi, MI

It's nice work if you can get it and you can get it if you try.

You are killing us here Russ! You have lived for nearly a decade near paradise and now you want to move on?! As I look down at my ankle I see it literally chained to a desk in my office in a suburb of Detroit...Yes Detroit, the fishing mecca of the world...When we aren't building cars (which is most of the time these days) we can chase sheephead down by the Detroit River...Not an easy task to pull off when you like to cast flies...

Are you flat out bored with paradise? Most of us here that know the place may suggest that our dream spot would be a bunk at Nelson's...You are going to make it hard on us here! How do we out trump...well...trump???

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
LJGurkeJuly 27th, 2010, 6:35 pm
Andover MA

How about Lake Taneycomo in Southwest Missouri (near Branson)? This lake is the tailwater of Table Rock Lake - more of a river than a lake, really. It is LOADED with 20"+ rainbows and browns, and is fishable year round. Regular 50+ fish days are not impossible if you know what you are doing. The cost of living is very inexpensive down that way, and when you get tired of fishing in Taneycomo, there are trout in Ozark spring creeks (i.e. Crane Creek), ditto for smallmouth, largemouth, stripers, crappie, and catfish in Table Rock and Bull Shoals,and the North Fork of the White River, another quality tailwater. Not to mention all the country ho-downs in Branson, if you want some real entertainment!
LJG
MotroutJuly 27th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Rolla, Missouri would be a good jumping off point. Within one hour from Rolla, you can fish the Current, Meramec, Eleven Point and the Niangua, all of which are Blue Ribbon trout streams. They fish well all year long too, from the dog days of summer to the dead of winter. All of these rivers are typical spring creeks, so the fish can be a bit selective, but all of these streams hold good fish.

Plus, this rural Missouri town would just be a nice place to live.

Taneycommo is okay, but the environment is too crowded for me on all of the tailwaters. I'd rather catch 10"-15" rainbows from a spring-fed Ozark stream than a 20 inch brown from one of those tailwaters. If you move to branson, you will soon regret it. It is nothing more than a tourist trap. There is no authenticity to that town at all.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
CaseyPJuly 27th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

please, no one tell him to move to central PA. we don't need anyone else on our year-round, c&r, freestone or limestone, big fish or little, stockies or wild fish, big-fish-if-you-can-do-it streams. oh, is the Yough tailwater by the time it gets to PA?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
BobbygJuly 28th, 2010, 2:51 pm
North Carolina

Where you have lived and fished trumps any suggestions I could possibly offer, especially since you're eliminating anything outside of the States.

Bob
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
SofthackleJuly 29th, 2010, 12:00 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Roscoe, NY seems a great place. You're right on the Beaverkill and Willowemoc, in the center of one of the most historic areas related to fly fishing. You're not far from the tailwater fishing on the Delaware, either. A lot of great anglers have resided there, and many still do. Also many great anglers visit there as well.

I once brought a young friend who had never been there. He said " I knew I was in the right place when I saw someone walking down main street in their chest waders."

There are lots of great places to be and fish. The choice is really yours.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
GutcutterJuly 29th, 2010, 6:18 pm
Pennsylvania

i'm suggesting cleveland. i think lebron's house is for sale
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Jmd123August 3rd, 2010, 11:58 pm
Oscoda, MI

Gaylord, Michigan - The AuSable, Manistee, Pigeon, Black, Sturgeon...and I would have a place to crash so I could fish them too!! (I would demand this if you took up my suggestion and indeed if you actually found gainful employment there...)

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
DryflyAugust 4th, 2010, 10:08 pm
rochester mn

Try alaska, you may have heard of it.
SayfuOctober 12th, 2011, 8:36 am
Big trout, plenty of them, and wade fish means you had better be a pretty good hiker if unless you don't mind being next to a lot of other anglers. And the hike needs to be uphill.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.