Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Looking for a Bamboo Rod

MotroutMay 20th, 2010, 6:56 pm
I looking for a bamboo fly rod. Problem is, I don't have an indeterminate number of hundred dollar bills laying around. Is there any chance of finding a half-way serviceable bamboo rod for under $250? I'm willing to get a fairly heavily used rod, and I don't need an antique or a rod of excellent quality. I just want a decent looking split cane rod that at least won't cast much worse than my graphite rod. For me it's more of a nostalgia thing-I can cast just fine with my graphite rod, but I guess I've read one too many Gierach stories:)
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
SlateDrake9May 23rd, 2010, 6:53 am
Potter County, PA

Go here:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Do some research before you buy. You'll be really unhappy with the results of just buying on price alone.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
MotroutMay 23rd, 2010, 3:40 pm
I appreciate the link Slate Drake.

I wish I could avoid buying on price along, but I'm unfortunately just not in the position to spend more than $250 on a rod... It's not that I wouldn't be willing to spend more, it's just that I can't.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
TctroutMay 23rd, 2010, 7:56 pm

Another easy solution is to find a bamboo rodmaker in your area (Ozarks?). Let me know when you're from and I will see if I know someone in that region I can refer you to.

Being a bamboo rodmaker, there are lots of options for guys who want a rod under $500, including taking an older rod, cutting it down, and then refinishing it. The taper is now modified and weight is a null issue. Without a doubt, cast the rod a number of times (determine if it has a large or small sweet spot in terms of distance) and see what kinds of casts you're able to make with it. For that money, you'll be buying a single-tip rod, thus ensure you're buying the rod for a particular style of fishing, i.e. dry fly, nymphing, etc.

On a miserable semi-related note, I was fishing with JAD this weekend and blew-up one of my own rods on a nice fish. The rod was a Leonard taper (Catskill), and the first bamboo I had ever made; nice, huh?

TC

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.