User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Rusty Spinner Color, Page 3

OldredbarnJanuary 30th, 2012, 11:07 pm
Novi, MI

http://www.ausableanglers.org/files/members/RIVERWATCH/RIVERWATCH34.pdf

Thanks Tony!

This link is to May 2000 issue of the Angler's of the Au Sables "Riverwatch" #34...Read Ed McGlinn's obit and some pics of Chauncey in this issue.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanJanuary 31st, 2012, 12:48 am
Northern CA & ID

Jere -

That makes a lot of sense. Another popular color often labeled as "rust" is more accurately a shade of cinnamon. as seen in many popular versions marketed. Besides males, I wonder if this comes from the overall look (dorsal influence) of some regional females in the hand?

I've noticed there seems to be three color categories of Pale Morning Duns seen in the West and I suspect this holds for E. d. dorothea in the East as well:

1. creamy yellow
2. creamy yellow shaded with olive to varying degrees.
3. creamy yellow shaded with orange to varying degrees.

It sounds like the ones Lawson is referring to are #1. On a lot of the rivers I fish, the duns are darker varieties of 2 or 3 above, almost appearing creamy orange or light green. Their spinners are amber and olive. The most common I run into though are creamy yellow with a hint of orange giving them the 'sulfur' look. The females for those are a pale amber.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanJanuary 31st, 2012, 1:14 am
Northern CA & ID

Tony & Spence -

Thanks...

Chauncey was and remains an inspiration. It was nice to see a picture of him again. They're not discussed much anymore, but I'm inspired to revisit his terrestrial styles using the hair techniques that have been supplanted by rubber & plastic. A lot has been lost with that trade-off, I think...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
DoublespeyJanuary 31st, 2012, 8:57 am
Posts: 61Entoman.. I think!.. and that is always dangerous, that Lawson said the pale yellow color of the females is influenced by the eggs that were in her abdomen.
EntomanFebruary 1st, 2012, 5:21 am
Northern CA & ID

Entoman.. I think!.. and that is always dangerous...

Ha! If that's the case, I hope we expose ourselves to danger all the time here, Jere!:)

As to color influence on the abdomen from eggs, that's what I've always assumed as well. If I were to state a general rule, it's that the female spinners are a slightly darker shade of the duns. I agree with your premise though. Save the brown ones for baetids, leptophlebiids and heptageniids (unless you find males on the water on very rare occasions). But, you know what they say about general rules... :)
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.