Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Centroptilum or Procloeon?, Page 2

The Specimen

Procloeon (Tiny Sulphur Duns) Mayfly DunProcloeon (Tiny Sulphur Duns) Mayfly Dun View 8 PicturesThis dun of a fairly large Baetidae species was one of only a couple I saw all evening.
Collected August 24, 2006 from Enfield Creek in New York
Added to Troutnut.com by on August 27, 2006

The Discussion

MartinlfJune 28th, 2012, 9:44 am
Palmyra PA

Now this is some serious bug identification. I was just wondering about the color of the darn things. But it's impressive to see what can go into determining the specifics. Procloeon it is. Now if Shawn or I can just get some shots of those evening hatching "olives."
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
EntomanJune 28th, 2012, 12:39 pm
Northern CA & ID

Now this is some serious bug identification. I was just wondering about the color of the darn things.

Yes, sorry for getting away from your original intent. Lest there be any confusion, the latter part of this thread was focused on Jason's specimen from more than 6 years ago. I don't think there is any debate over my initial responses to your question. Based on what you described, I seriously doubt there is any connection between these two other than possibly sharing the same genus. If I were to hazard a guess, I would still say that your tiny sulfur or tan ones are probably a species of Centroptilum based on commonness. Having said that, there is certainly nothing wrong with referring to them as Procloeon if you wish - it is easier to pronounce.:) To say the concept of speciation in this branch of the Baetidae family is a bit murky is probably an understatement. Discussing the differences between species and placing them in genera using current nomenclature may prove to have been an exercise in grasping at mist some day. Especially when using the old standards of size, color, and hind wing conformation. Heck, we're already there in the latter regard.

Though the tiny olives could be from any number of baetid genera, your suggestion about the possibility of Plauditus is far from dubius.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SherryspinnNovember 11th, 2015, 1:56 am
Hunterdon County NJ

Thanks gentlemen! That was educational.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.