Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > wooly buggers, Page 2

Jmd123April 16th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Oscoda, MI

Ah, you know me, Spence, always looking for a bone to pick...Just thought I would kick the discussion up a notch. BTW, besides the MBU, what's YOUR favorite WB (if you have one)?

I think the beauty of fly tackle is that, given the circumstances, I can switch from a #16 Adams to a #4 WB, then to a #12 Gold-Ribbed Hair's ear, then to a #6 deer hair bass bug, then to a #2 weighted stonefly...All on my 8.5-foot 5-weight, and at most with the addition or subtraction of some tippet material. (On my 8-weight, I can switch from a #6 Glo-bug or a #12 nymph to a #6/0, 7" long weighted pike streamer!) Sure, the casting dynamics might change, but as a veteran flyrodder I know how to adjust without skipping a beat. And we all know there are days you gotta do this to keep on top of things and catch something. As in, when I have fished Dix Pond in Ann Arbor and I 'm throwing little bitty wet flies at the bluegill, and then a big brown submarine cruises into view and I have to hurry up and tie on a WB, KBF, or deer hair bug to get their attention (those 'gills just nip at the tails of those larger flies). The versatility is wonderful - you can go right from throwing something 1/4" long to something 3" long (or more) depending on who is swimming or rising in front of you.

THAT's why I'm a fly fisherman. Also see my latest post on the "opening day Trout april 1st ADVICE???" thread for my "fly-fishing manifesto" - it's the latest post on that thread.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.