Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Soon there will be a Mrs. Troutnut :)

TroutnutFebruary 19th, 2010, 2:23 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

As of a week ago, I'm officially getting married to my girlfriend of 5 years, Lena, who has appeared in plenty of the "people" pictures on this website. You can now expect that trend to continue for as long as we both shall fit into waders.

Naturally I had to propose while out on a body of water, but being February in Fairbanks it was frozen solid and we were wearing skis. It still worked!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CaseyPFebruary 19th, 2010, 4:21 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

*********************CONGRATULATIONS!*****************************

(you've told her about all the bugs, right? and about all of us, right? right?)

(BTW, she's lovely!)
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
TilmanFebruary 19th, 2010, 4:23 pm
Gemany

Congratulations to you both and good luck, too.
"Live and Learn" - Mr. Spock

http://www.directupload.net/galerie/154319/LfyCOrbM3j/0
TroutnutFebruary 19th, 2010, 4:53 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

(you've told her about all the bugs, right? and about all of us, right? right?)

Well, she knows about the bugs. She's even let a few of them crawl around on her. I haven't told her about all of you quite yet, though... better wait til the vows are locked in before I break that news!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Jmd123February 19th, 2010, 5:45 pm
Oscoda, MI

Congrats, Jason!! Glad you found someone who also likes to fish. We like it when the girls catch fish!! They never complain when you say you want to go fishing or buy new stuff, like my ex did (although I DID teach her how to fly fish and she didn't do half-bad). The next one will be more cooperative with me, I'm sure...

Tight lines and leaping fish to both of you, Sir!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WiflyfisherFebruary 19th, 2010, 5:52 pm
Wisconsin

CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!!

I wish you and Lena the best!!!
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
TaxonFebruary 19th, 2010, 6:49 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Congratulations Jason and Lena. It simply warms one's cochleae cordis to hear of your impending marriage. I wish you both the very best.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
OldredbarnFebruary 19th, 2010, 6:50 pm
Novi, MI

Jason & Lena,

All the best from Detroit! You seem to have followed my lead young man. You take the poor thing to the middle of nowhere, miles and miles away from home, and then you propose..."Um...Dear...If you say no you can find your own way home..."

I proposed to my Lisa in a small town in the Black Forest and a couple weeks later on that same trip in 87 I took her twice in to East Germany. "Babe...I'd hate to have to leave you behind the Iron Curtain...It can get pretty rough over here I'm told."

I'm just kidding...It's a good sign that she will tag along with you almost anywhere Jason...Those rare ones you can't let get away or "put back"...This one time Spence won't be so upset if you don't practise catch-and-release!

As an aside: When I was debating with myself in Berlin whether or not it would be a good idea to take Lisa in to East Berlin with me...She was afraid I'd leave her behind...She said that she had asked herself what she would do if I didn't make it back...A keeper, eh!

Good news from Alaska! Can spring and Opening Day be far behind???

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TroutnutFebruary 19th, 2010, 7:57 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

You take the poor thing to the middle of nowhere, miles and miles away from home, and then you propose..."Um...Dear...If you say no you can find your own way home..."

Exactly! We were in the middle of the lake, about a mile from the car, and I ski much faster than she does so she had no way to escape. :)

Can spring and Opening Day be far behind???

I hope so! I've got so much I need to get done before spring! Then again, spring in Fairbanks is June...
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Aaron7_8February 20th, 2010, 10:06 am
Helena Montana

Congratulations, and good luck to your future together. It is always good to have a partner that shares your interest or at least understands that you need to the things you do.
MartinlfFebruary 20th, 2010, 12:48 pm
Palmyra PA

Warmest wishes, Jason.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3February 21st, 2010, 6:18 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

She's even let a few of them crawl around on her.

What you guys do for excitement behind closed doors is frankly none of our business.

All kidding aside - Congratulations!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
TroutnutFebruary 21st, 2010, 10:23 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

She's even let a few of them crawl around on her.

What you guys do for excitement behind closed doors is frankly none of our business.

Behind close doors? Nah, this was all out in public! Right on the Beaverkill and the West Branch, within plain view of bridges no less!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Jmd123February 21st, 2010, 9:33 pm
Oscoda, MI

Sounds like my skinny-dipping adventure with my ex on the Maple River...

:oD

JMD
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TroutnutFebruary 21st, 2010, 10:13 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Except that we were fully clothed (doubly so, if you count waders) and playing with bugs...
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Jmd123February 21st, 2010, 11:49 pm
Oscoda, MI

Probably TOO FREAKIN' COLD in AK for skinny dipping, I suppose...

Actually, it was in the upper 90s F in northern MI with no air conditioning (except in a car!), Douglas Lake (where the U of M Bio Station is located) was a warm algae soup, and the Maple River was the only place I could think of to cool off. I wasn't expecting to see her holding her swimsuit in her hand, but I sure wasn't disappointed, either...

;oD

JMD

P.S. She was actually an entomology student with me at Michigan State and completed her Master's degree shortly after I did my own. Though now she is a nurse midwife...truth is stranger than fiction, at least for me. She didn't mind handling bugs, either...
RleePFebruary 22nd, 2010, 1:18 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

My congratulations as well, Jason.

Getting married was the best thing I ever did.

Of course, it was also the 148,903rd best thing I ever did, but that was my first marriage and now long ago beside the point..:)

All the best to you both.

Lee
SofthackleFebruary 22nd, 2010, 7:47 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Good for you, Jason! My best to you and Lena.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
JADFebruary 23rd, 2010, 8:48 am
Alexandria Pa

Congratulations to both of you, only the best would do for you.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
OldredbarnFebruary 23rd, 2010, 9:41 am
Novi, MI

Men and women approach just about everything from a different angle...Us guys sent congrats and made angling reference humor...My wife after zeroing in on the ring Lena is displaying for all the world to see said, "She's cute. Dramatic looking."

We were wondering if she could cast a tight loop?!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.