Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > UV Materials and if they really help ?, Page 4

TNEALFebruary 22nd, 2014, 12:35 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Did it mention if that would translate to 6-12 times more fish caught?
EntomanFebruary 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Northern CA & ID

:):)LOL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnFebruary 22nd, 2014, 12:39 am
Novi, MI

;)

Tim...What you doing up this late? Been out shoveling snow?!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEALFebruary 22nd, 2014, 8:08 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

couldn't find the shovel.... handle's not bright enough.....
Jmd123February 22nd, 2014, 11:52 am
Oscoda, MI

Okay guys, I will try to distill this whole thread down into some simplistic generalization, but I think you may agree with me:

Fisherman, fly or otherwise, will use ANYTHING they perceive will give them some kind of advantage, whether or not the fish actually react to it. At least intermittent success (and some time ago Spence made a hilarious comparison between me and a pigeon, I think it was, in a "Skinner Box") will guarantee that said fisherman, using said latest technology, thinks he or she now has "the edge" and they will swear by it and continue to use it at every available opportunity.

Psychology of Fisherpeople 101

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OvermywaderFebruary 22nd, 2014, 10:12 pm

Geo. Leonard Herter was a hoot! P.T. Barnum had nothing on George. I would read the Herter catalogue from cover to cover as a kid, completely absorbed in "The World's Best...whatever". One item that fascinated me was the bog shoes. A Bog Shoe was like a small pram or Jonboat fastened to each foot. Theoretically, these allowed you to go over soft ground, mud, and onto a pond, then just stand there and cast... or walk across the pond to better fishing.

I have a 1941 Herter's catalogue somewhere. On page three George apologizes for the war interfering with safe shipment of exotic furs and feathers from Burma. IIRC, there were at least fifteen different species of monkey that gave of their pelts to US fly-tiers for $1 or less. A different time.
Regards,
Reed
Regards,
Reed

Overmywaders
TNEALFebruary 22nd, 2014, 11:27 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

I learned some of my first patterns from a 50's issue of Herter's tackle manufacturing manual... the days when they were still selling condor quill..
PlanettroutFebruary 23rd, 2014, 1:20 pm
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

These two rivers are where I have used a specific pattern to test out the effectiveness of a UV2 product,incorporated into that pattern:

< />

The Lower Owens River...

< />

The East Walker River...

< />

The pattern - CREAM MIRACLE MIDGE...

HOOK: Daiichi 1130 or TMC 2487, #18 - #22
THREAD: Body - Tiemco 16/0, White - Head - Tiemco 16/0, Black
RIB: Lagartun x-fine Copper wire

*coated with Hard-As-Hull for durability

< />

The UV2 product...

< />

Same pattern with a UV2 Peacock eye/herl thorax twisted on White 16/0 Tiemco thread...

< />

My son Michael with an EWR Brown taken on that UV2 pattern...which, on most occasions, out fished the standard Miracle Midge...maybe it was just the addition of Peacock Herl...for $5.95 one may determine that for themself...

http://www.performanceflies.com/category-s/361.htm

PT/TB

Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
PaulRobertsFebruary 24th, 2014, 8:40 am
Colorado

As I'd said in a previous thread on the subject of UV, I'm just not up on the latest. And I don't plan on catching up as I've got other things on my plate. The information Reed presents is at very least intriguing. How important it is, and how to make use of it remains to be seen.

I feel pretty confident in saying that the elements that underlie fish catching often have more to do with water conditions, fish behavior, and presentation controls than what's tied on the end of the line. However, once water fish and presentation basics (that are not easily realized) are understood and in control, what's tied on the end of the line looms large.

Hey, I too had some old Herter's catalogs and owned a set of the Herter brothers "Guides Manual". One of my favorites was Jacques advice for dealing with a lion or bear attack: To spit in the attackers mouth and the animal will "quit the attack instantly".
OldredbarnFebruary 24th, 2014, 11:09 am
Novi, MI

Hey, I too had some old Herter's catalogs and owned a set of the Herter brothers "Guides Manual". One of my favorites was Jacques advice for dealing with a lion or bear attack: To spit in the attackers mouth and the animal will "quit the attack instantly".

Yeah! That will work. ;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
GusFebruary 24th, 2014, 6:34 pm
colorado

Nice pics Planettrout!
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
MartinlfMarch 1st, 2014, 9:42 pm
Palmyra PA

One of my favorites was Jacques advice for dealing with a lion or bear attack: To spit in the attackers mouth and the animal will "quit the attack instantly".

It has also been said that large predators are sometimes repelled by the scent of human urine or feces, and that potential victims have been saved by an involuntary voiding of the bladder or colon upon attack, but validation of such cases is as much in question as the aforementioned example, however more likely the later event might be than the former.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
EntomanMarch 2nd, 2014, 4:25 pm
Northern CA & ID

I hope nobody reading this thread is unneccessarily confused. Planettrout and Reed are discussing two entirely different topics. Planettrout is talking about a line of fluorescent materials called UV 2 and their fish attracting capabilities (which has nothing to do with UV vision). As with all fluorescent materials, the glow is emitted in the visible spectrum. Reed's points are on reflected UV and the trout's potential vision capabilities in that non-visible spectrum (at least to us).
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
MartinlfMarch 3rd, 2014, 12:45 am
Palmyra PA

Yes, and some misguided folks have even hijacked the thread to talk about entirely unrelated topics as well. But good point, Kurt.

--Fred Chappell
EntomanMarch 8th, 2014, 1:52 pm
Northern CA & ID

:)
MartinlfApril 11th, 2014, 5:24 pm
Palmyra PA

The Delaware River Club dubbing that John used on his Hennie Comparadun in the "They're going to be here soon" thread has some fluorescent fibers in it. I'm bumping it up for him to take a gander.

--Fred Chappell
TroutBumsOctober 9th, 2014, 1:37 pm
Cincinnati, OH

UV materials...not sure where to buy flies with UV material... don't recall any of the stores (Orvis, fly shops etc) setting aside flies . I would like to try one, but don't know where to find them ... any thoughts? If the trout are saying yes, so will I. :)
Ted Holcomb
http://TroutBumOutfitters.com
Contact@TroutBumOutfitters.com
PaulRobertsOctober 10th, 2014, 2:03 am
Colorado

Spammin?? Wonder how long this thread's legs will get. Odd that the troutbums link takes me to this thread.
TroutBumsOctober 10th, 2014, 9:50 pm
Cincinnati, OH

PaulRoberts,
I am not a spammer! I clicked on to my link, and you are right, it does come back to this page. I so have a site www.TroutBumOutfitters.com and it is pretty cool with lots of information and much more. The URL has been corrected now. Try the link again. I would be interested what you think of the site. email me at www.tttholcomb@yahoo.com
Ted Holcomb
http://TroutBumOutfitters.com
Contact@TroutBumOutfitters.com
RogueratOctober 12th, 2014, 11:41 am
Ted,

no offense but when I clicked on your TB/Outfitters address my Malware alerts went crazy,so that's as far as I'm going.

I've gotten Spirit River UV dubbing from Feather-Craft, Hook n' Hackle, and other mail-order shops...the stuff seems to work, at least it's worth adding to my materials inventory.

Grand-paternal pride here- my grandsons are going crazy at the vise, tying egg patterns in every shade possible- amazing what 8 and 10 yr old's can think of!

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Page:12345

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.