or register.
Scientific name search:

> > eastern early blacks

The Specimen

The Discussion

LjnbassJanuary 13th, 2010, 6:49 am
Altoona, pa

Hello,

Just found this web site and have to say this is the most informative and detailed one I've found.
I live in PA and fish the Little Juniata. I never seem to hit the early black stoneflies. When is the best time for them? And after looking at these photos I believe my pattern ain't what it should be. I know these photos are from a sample out west but are they similar to our eastern blacks?
TaxonJanuary 13th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Ljnbass-

PA has the following species of family Taeniopterygidae:

Bolotoperla rossi (Smoky Willowfly)
Oemopteryx contorta (Dark Willowfly)
Strophopteryx appalachia (Appalachian Willowfly)
Strophopteryx fasciata (Mottled Willowfly)
Taenionema atlanticum (Atlantic Willowfly)
Taeniopteryx burksi (Eastern Willowfly)
Taeniopteryx maura (Spinyleg Willowfly)
Taeniopteryx metequi (Shortwing Willowfly)
Taeniopteryx nivalis (Boreal Willowfly)
Taeniopteryx parvula (Hooked Willowfly)
Taeniopteryx ugola (Cumberland Willowfly)

Don't know which of them are present in the Little Juniata, but would expect all of them to be quite similar in profile and size.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Jmd123January 13th, 2010, 10:24 pm
Oscoda, MI

This genus comes out heavy on the Huron River (Ann Arbor, MI) in March. Now if I could just get the smallies to pay attention to 'em...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchJanuary 17th, 2010, 7:31 am
York & Starlight PA

Ljnbass,

It's possible that the Early Black Stone is not present on the LJ. There are a number of avid, and some zealous, LJ fishers who frequent this web site who should be able to respond to your inquiry.

On the rivers I fish in NYS I often see them on pleasant, sunny, days in March. Typically I see them emerging before any of the mayflies on those rivers.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JADJanuary 17th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Alexandria Pa

Hi all
I think their are very few streams without the early blacks. I have seen them on the snow in February and on the water when the weather was quite pleasant in late April into early May. I realize that is a broad statement, but even some of the streams that are polluted with sewage in Erie have Early Blacks .

Best
JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
SofthackleJanuary 17th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi,
I'm not sure about other fishermen, here, but we get decent hatches in March as well. For the most part, the fish don't seem interested in them. It may be because the water is still too cold and the metabolism of the fish is still running low OR it could be because they often hatch in high fast water that is muddy or off color. The fish COULD be feeding on them underwater, but I've had no luck on my imitation of them during these times.

The only time I've had any luck on them is when, for some reason, the water is running lower than normal and temperatures-both outside and in the water are running somewhat higher than normal. Then the fish have a great feast.

I've posted my pattern before, but I'll repost it for you.

http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/html/black_stone_flymph.html

If you fish during the hatches, let us know how you do.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
GutcutterJanuary 18th, 2010, 10:44 am
Pennsylvania

the little j has 'em. rarely get the fish up in any numbers. they are #16/18 and hatch any time there is decent weather jan-march. in my experience, the trout take more midges during the e.b.s."hatch" and flinging a 16 black stonefly or cdc caddis (close enough)above a 26 midge emerger works well so you can locate the emerger faster.
i have missed a few fish that hit the big fly as i was so concentrated on and fixated on the micro emerger!
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
LjnbassJanuary 19th, 2010, 5:31 pm
Altoona, pa

Softhackle,

I like the pattern you posted. I'm going to try it but I think I'm going to try mixing a little amber in with the black for the thorax. After looking at some of the photos on this site I noticed they have a little amber in them. My patterns were made all black and had very little luck with them. Thanks for the post and awesome site!

Lou
SofthackleJanuary 19th, 2010, 6:19 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Absolutely. Patterns are made to be adjusted to where you fish. I've been thinking of adding a little brown to mine. I've noticed that some that hatch here, have more of a brownish tinge to them, but they are very dark, and often appear black.

What I like about this pattern is I have fished it like a nymph, drawing it slowly to the shallows and in the surface after treating the fly with a flotant, and it worked both ways.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.