Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > My own Flies

TilmanDecember 11th, 2009, 3:16 am
Gemany

Hello, fellow tiers. The Fly tying season has started for most of us and it is now my time to introduce some of my "inventions".
Some of the following flies are just variants of known flies and some are ,in my knowledge, new. I donīt want to just show off. My idea behind this is to share these flies with you so you can also tie them at home and test them on your waters. This will help me to get more opinions on them and maybe will boost my confidence in them (or not ;D )

Anyway, i start with a new version of the Klinkhamer fly.

I have used a silicon strip as a body to get a juicy look and to get the legs on the abdomen in the style of Oliver Edwards.

Hook: #14 Partridge Klinkhamer

Thread: 6/0 White (i will use other colours in the future, but you can always colour white later on with a marker pen)

Tail: sythetic fibre, white
Body: 6mm strip of clear silicon, coloured with a pink marker pen (edding) you can use different colours to get other imitations, but i wanted it to look like a Zuckmückenlarve (sorry, i could not find the right translation -> http://images.google.de/images?hl=de&source=hp&q=Zuckm%C3%BCckenlarve&btnG=Bilder-Suche&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

Legs: pheasant tail

Hackle: Metz Grizzly wound around a double white Antronyarn

The head will probably be coloured black later on, which seems to be the natural colour.

Iīm open for any suggestions. I will post more of my flies here in this thread.
"Live and Learn" - Mr. Spock

http://www.directupload.net/galerie/154319/LfyCOrbM3j/0
OldredbarnDecember 11th, 2009, 10:52 am
Novi, MI

Tilman,

For the benefit of the english speaking bloggers here...Your fly is an imitation of a blood worm and is a Chironomid.

What can you tells us about its behavior? Does it dangle below the surface film and hatch in the same way most of our "midges" do? What does it look like as an adult?

If anyone is interested just copy the great German word (Zuckmueckenlarve)from Tilman's post and paste it in google...That way it will include the umlaut and there are photos that will appear that show exactly what Tilman has copied here.

Hans van Klinken...Since I'm Dutch on my fathers side I have an affinity for Hansi...

Vielen Dank! Herr Tilman

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TilmanDecember 11th, 2009, 11:08 am
Gemany

What can you tell us about its behavior? Does it dangle below the surface film and hatch in the same way most of our "midges" do? What does it look like as an adult?

Thank you, Spencer ! I should have known the word bloodworm. I have read that often enough, at least.

Here are versions of bloodworm larva from the Danica.com Page

http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=3528604&pid=r&mode=ALL&query=bloodworm&t=s

The Blood Worm larva will come to the surface to breathe from time to time and i have seen lots of imitations of the larva itself but wanted to create this classic Klinkhamer version of the emerging larva.
This hatching version should sink into the surface with its tail and legs. The Hackle and the Antron Yarn imitate the wing and should be above the surface.
It should fish in any water that has a population of the blood worm, though the colour may vary from water to water. And if my guess is right, than it will even fish in waters that havenīt seen any bloodworm.
And it should work even if there is no blood worm hatching situation, because they swim to the surface to breathe.
I picked the red/pink colour, because i thought that it would be very attractive to the fish, even if that is not the natural colour of the larva in that particular water.

TilmanDecember 14th, 2009, 11:02 am
Gemany

I just wanted to know, if anyone has a good picture of the trico fly some of you are writing about ? I would like to see that one, i guess i should even tie it, from what i read about here ;D

Iīll rummage through my flies and see what i can dig up to show you ...

OldredbarnDecember 14th, 2009, 1:32 pm
Novi, MI

Tilman,

Jason has some nice photos of the Trico right on this website. Go to insects, pick mayflies, then along the right side look down to Leptohyphidae and then pick Tricorythodes...Trico for short.

Not sure if this guy exists in Deutschland but very prolific all across the US. It's a small bugger usually running a size 20 or smaller depending on where you are at and a nicely drawn out hatch. Here in Michigan in can start at the end of June and run in to September.

It's a lot of fun to fish Trico hatches. I've fished during a breezy morning and every time the wind blew a handful of Trico's would be blown in to the water and the fish would be lined up just downstream from the brush...The water would just explode with feeding fish every time.

It's an early morning hatch. Depending on the weather and either early or late in the hatch...You would need to be on the stream at dawn give or take. Most guys fish the spinner since these guys are very short lived, but there are dun patterns as well as nymphs.

Take Care!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TilmanJanuary 1st, 2010, 1:31 am
Gemany

Thank you very much for the explanation, Spencer.

I will post one of my nymphs i did yesterday.

And here it is:

Itīs a Neon Pheasant Tail variant. I used Flashabou UV as a ribbing and Steelhead dubbing. The tying is simple and the possibilities are great, the result speaks for itself.
I did this one in black, white, red and green, but i will try some more colours. You can also use "bunny dubbing" (haresīear dubbing).

< />

And by the way: A very happy, healthy and fishy new year !

TilmanJanuary 3rd, 2010, 12:33 pm
Gemany

You can also tie the last one as an emerger without the Gold bead head.

SofthackleJanuary 6th, 2010, 7:58 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi Tilman,
I like your flies a lot. I also liked your country when I was stationed, there, many years ago. I spent two years in Germany while in the U.S. Army stationed in Baumholder. I fly fished a beautiful stream located close to that city. The brown trout were native and rainbows were stocked. The area was CLEAN, fresh and beautiful. I could often hear a cuckoo calling as I cast to a rising fish.

I shall fondly remember my stay there with good fishing, great people, good food, great Moselle Wine, and excellent fresh beer.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
TilmanJanuary 6th, 2010, 10:27 am
Gemany

Hey Mark.

Glad to hear that you liked your stay over here.
Baumholder is about 1 1/2 hoursīdrive from where i live. Maybe iīll have a go at the same stretch you have fished, one day.

Iīll make a photograph of one of my shrimp imitations later on and post it here as ell. It is a mixture of different techniques that i found very convincing and it can be fished in fresh water as ell as in seawater.

Can you imagine that the hole spey saddles are sold out in germany because of the success of the fly ? Gladly, i have a colleague,
ho gave me a good supply of feathers, so i donīt run out too soon.

TilmanJanuary 7th, 2010, 11:19 am
Gemany

Alright, i shot the "Pattegriesen" now. The word is danish, where it originated. It translates "Marzipan Pig", if iīm correct.

Here are the materials:

Hook: this one is a size 8 long shank hook, but it is tied in sizes from #10 to #2
Thread: pink floss (utc)
Dubbing: White, grey, orange or pink dubbing (it can be the flashy sort)
Eyes: Mono with glass beads (i have used dark, stiff mono from sufix, which is used as a shock leader in carp fishing over here)
pincers: cock feather (pink) cut in V-shape
Antennae: i used some flashy material, that you use in all kinds of streamer tying, flashabou will do.
back: pearl flash skin, you can also use silicone-skin, too. I will experiment with different matials in the future, there is this self-sticking stuff, which is quite new on our market.
ribbing: silverwire
"hackle" (legs): the material is the famous spey-hackle. The first onesītips are tied on top and front, so the act as a kind of bunch of antennaes and then wound in the direction of the eye. hen the first one is finished, tie in the second one to get right to the eye. (this is only needed, hen tying larger sizes.
weight: i used three strands of lead-core and tied it to the downside
of the fly. I tied the strands in one by one, creating a kind of upside-down pyramid. This is done to balance the whole thing.

The shrimp is tied pointing the other way, too, because shrimp only swim backwards, when they are fleeing, but it is fished in this seen fashion most of times, because the fish like this fleeing type on most days.

This pattern is guilty of clearing the whole available amount of spey hackles in germany, because of the hype it started when the success started to spread. It is used fishing for sea trout, but catches freshwater fish, too. I guess, it resembles some archaic food pattern. Thatīs why the freshwater fish also respond to it, or maybe itīs just the materials. We can never be too sure about that ...

< />

SofthackleJanuary 7th, 2010, 4:44 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

It looks great! Where would you fish this in Germany?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
TilmanJanuary 8th, 2010, 12:10 am
Gemany

Hey mark. If you remember the brook where you fished when you were stationed here and let me know, i could go there one weekend and fish there, too, as it is only a 1 1/2 hoursīdrive from my hometown. Did you ever visit "Burg Landeck" ? Thatīs where i live (not in the castle, but very near by)

I would fish this one anywhere in place of a streamer, really. As i have mentioned before, to me it is an archaic thing, but it also resembles a a freshwater crab, which are quite common over here.
I bet, that perch would eat them, as well as Zander and Pike.

The original use for sea trout would be in the Ostsee in germany and Denmark.

SofthackleJanuary 8th, 2010, 7:55 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi,
Unfortunately, I never was in Landeck. The stream I fished use to run close along a road that lead to a small farming town near Baumholder. That was a long time ago, and the name of that small town escapes me. I do not recall if the stream actually had a name, but day fishing rights were purchased through the American Rod and Gun Club in Baumholder. Wish I had a good map of the area. I might find it. That was a long time ago.

Mark

TilmanJanuary 8th, 2010, 8:51 am
Gemany

Really awesome ! I was -6 years by that time (born 1976).
Hmmmh, iīl have a close look via google-maps, maybe it shows up there. And if there are tickets for sae somewhere, iīll call a fishing shop or something similar im Baumholder and find out.

By the way, my name is Tilman.

SofthackleJanuary 8th, 2010, 10:30 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Tilman,
I'm not positive, but the stream may have run toward the Glan. Again, I'm not sure of this. It was not a big river, but a stream that could be fished with flies. It ran from Baumholder toward this small farming town through forest and farmland. Before getting to the small town, there was a soccer field. The stream ran close to it, and my friend and I often parked at the entrance of the field and walked across to reach the stream.

There were many good spots along the way where we fished. One time we fished near a farm field full of beets. The farmer was there, and we purchased two full bags of beet greens from him. My friend's wife cooked them for us.

I married in August before going to Germany in late October. My wife came there that December. My oldest daughter was born there in Neubrucke the following September. We lived in a small apartment in Baumholder that we rented from a nice German family. We shared a lot of good times with them.

Mark

Jmd123January 8th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Oscoda, MI

Nice shrimp imitation, Tilman!! The other two look very nice as well.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnJanuary 11th, 2010, 12:16 pm
Novi, MI

Mark,

What a cool photo! You look like a "Beat" Poet or something. What an interesting idea to attach a photo to a license. We used to have wonderful trout stamps here in Michigan and now they have gone to some non-descript thing with your drivers license number on it. It's made out of a rubbery material and no one knows what to actually do with them.

I was 16 that May and planning a big trip that August to Goose Lake Music Festival in Jackson MI. It was a year after Woodstock and was set up the same way as a three day deal. There were three of us in a 1957 Chevy and some guy we had met from California heading to the same festival. During the day there were mostly local bands with the big headliners in the evening.

Bands performing
There were twenty-three bands scheduled to perform, in order of billing,

Savoy Brown
Jethro Tull
Joe Cocker
10 Years After
Savage Grace
Mountain
Chicago
RAM
Bob Seger
John Sebastian
Alice Cooper
The Litter
SRC
James Gang
The Stooges
John Drake Shakedown
Flock 3
Third Power
Wizard
Mighty Quick
Brownsville Station
Flying Burrito Brothers
Suite Charity
Alice Cooper, Joe Cocker and Savoy Brown were scheduled to perform but did not. MC5 and Rod Stewart were late additions to the roster to replace the canceled acts

Does any of those names ring a bell Mark? You were what? twenty-two when you were stationed in Deutschland? It must of been a wonderful experience. To get a chance to fish there is a memory you will always have.

Have you ever heard/read any Charlie Ritz? He writes a great deal about the rivers in South-Western Bavaria and Austria...The Traun etc...Catching Grayling as well. Arnold Gingrich and Hemmingway have mentioned fishing in Europe as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Spence

Jmd123January 11th, 2010, 2:45 pm
Oscoda, MI

You old hippie... :oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123January 11th, 2010, 2:47 pm
Oscoda, MI

P.S. The Stooges just made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"Gimme danger, little stranger..."
SofthackleJanuary 11th, 2010, 7:31 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi Spence,
Ah, yes, I remember quite a few of those groups. Those are Army issued glasses, by the way. Terrible! As soon as I could afford it, I got a nice pair from a German optician.

Fishing was different in some ways, and in some ways the same in Germany. I know it was a lot cleaner there than it was stateside. The Germans were pretty sticky about litter and dumping and waste. Their garbage cans wouldn't hold a third of what ours do.

It was a joy to fish there, especially fishing for native brown trout.

Here's a story. I had read a Schwiebert piece about some fishing he was doing in Germany. You see, in order to fish, you must purchase a day permit from each person who holds the rights to the water you plan on fishing. In Ernie's case, they purchased day rights from a guest house owner who's establishment was close to the water. He would not, however, allow them to fish unless they put on a tie. He said the brown trout were a gentleman's fish, and when you fished for them you should dress for them.

Well, we were not having any luck catching browns, for some reason. I couldn't figure out what we were doing wrong. So, for the shear fun of it, I told my friend that we should put on a shirt and tie to see if that made a difference. To our amazement, it did, and we started taking browns. After that, it was shirt and tie fishing for us.

Perhaps it just boosted our confidence, but hey, it worked, and it was fun. We laughed about it a lot.

Stay well,
Mark

Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.