Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > vintage split bamboo

NeophyteApril 20th, 2009, 10:00 am
Royal Palm Beach, FL

Greetings,
A while back a friend gave me an old Columbia (Utica New York) 5 wt. 9 ft 3-piece (4 counting a second tip section)split bamboo rod. It is in reasonable shape. A prior owner may have tried to refinish it himself since it has a few varnish blobs (for lack of a better term). Is it worth anything? I've heard this rod was on the lower end of the Columbia product line. In a previous post I mentioned that I am new at fly-fishing. My local Gander Mtn. suggested I put it over my mantle at home. Once I get proficient at casting, I would like to give this thing a try. Any comments?
Thanks,
RayM
CaseyPApril 21st, 2009, 12:50 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

Once I get proficient at casting, I would like to give this thing a try. Any comments?

yep: take that bamboo with you now when you practice casting with whatever else you're using for a rod. after you're warmed up and getting the line further than the end of the rod, try the bamboo. it will probably feel funny, but it might just suit you. if it doesn't seem to, put it away for a couple of outings and then try again. if you can make it work in the end, use it! it would be a shame for this rod to live in a closet for the rest of your life. after a couple of times on the stream, if it doesn't catch fish, then you can put it away or give it away knowing you did your best. (btw, did your friend give you the use and care lecture?)

as for provenance and worth, try Coldwater Collectibles.

PS, just saw your address--that size bamboo's not for salt water.

"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
NeophyteApril 21st, 2009, 1:52 pm
Royal Palm Beach, FL

Casey,
Thanks for the reply. My friend told me he received it as a gift from an ole timer he once knew and if I pass it on, make sure it is to a very deserving person and that there should be no money involved. I understood where he was coming from. He had not used it nor did he give me any advice on its care and feeding. It did not come with a case (I bought a tube travel case immediately). I will plan taking it along on my next practice, as you suggest. Maybe it will teach me something. Also, thanks for the Coldwater Collection suggestion. It looks interesting.
Neophyte
p.s. Thanks for warning about saltwater and bamboo.
RayM
HellgramiteApril 21st, 2009, 6:09 pm
Southern calif.

Hay Neophyte:I friend gave me an old bamboo fly rod and I did some research and found some web sites but I have not been able to send this guy some pictures.Unless the rod was built by a well known old time rod builder most are worth $75 - $150 bucks.Depending on how the rod was stored will determine its brittleness.By all means use the rod just be careful.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.