Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > April Fool's, Page 2

GONZOApril 4th, 2009, 9:47 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

OK, just in the interest of fairness, I want to say that I don't mind if Louis fishes with a Hairy Honeybug. I don't even mind him using his Green Weenie when conditions warrant (though I'd prefer he not use it around me). However, I draw the line at using Walt's Worm. I think he should at least have the self-respect to fish with his own worm. ;}
MartinlfApril 4th, 2009, 3:17 pm
Palmyra PA

Now that I've wiped the tears out of my eyes, I must protest that I was actually thinking of a fish-off between the nymphs, in which case I fear that Shawn's nymphing skills would actually put me to shame. But I've vowed to fish midge pupae for a while, hoping that Falsifly's encouragement is not just an indication of genus envy for the bigger worms.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3April 5th, 2009, 5:43 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Honored to have one of my flies be featured in an original Falsifly piece. Honored and humbled. Well, maybe not humbled. But honored for sure.

in which case I fear that Shawn's nymphing skills would actually put me to shame.

The old perfesser is too modest. The only time we've fished together, it was he giving the lessons, to be sure. Hopefully we'll meet up today for our second excursion and I'll fare a shade better. I'm bracing myself for getting skunked until I tie on one of his sweet little BWO emergers, then having the fish go crazy. That would be tough to live down, but if it means I bring a few fish to hand...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfApril 6th, 2009, 5:58 am
Palmyra PA

Well Shawn and I had our fish off. --I mean our fishing contest. (Puns grown in these threads like weeds in my yard.) He struck first blood, not with the curly worm, but another top secret invention. Having failed to get to the vice soon enough I responded with a bald honeybug inchworm, which I'll have to say "held its own." The contest ended in a draw, but it was good to get out and wet a line again, Shawn.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3April 6th, 2009, 10:29 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

I suppose it was a draw if we disqualify most of Louis's fish due to the huge amount of weight he had secured near his honeybug and the snagging motion he was employing. Otherwise, he outfished me fair and square. Lest anyone think less of him, though, Louis also did nicely fishing midges in slow water. It was tough fishing - nothing easy.

I eagerly await a potential rematch on the Little J. during the Isos this summer. I've certainly got some redeeming to do there...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfApril 6th, 2009, 12:38 pm
Palmyra PA

I protest; most of those fish were hooked somewhere near the head!

--Fred Chappell
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.