Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Reels under $100

LastchanceMarch 11th, 2009, 6:58 pm
Portage, PA

I'm tired of paying huge prices for fly reels.
I'd like to find one for under $100 with an extra spool. I don't know if that is possible unless I go real cheap. Chances are that if you buy a reel for $150 the extra spool will cost $50 or $60. Anyone care suggest some under $100 reels? I haven't fished that many reels so I'm at a disadvantage.
Thanks
DOSMarch 11th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Buffalo, NY

Lamson Waterworks Konic
Reel $119 Spool $60

I know its just a little bit more than what you want to spend but you will have this reel for the rest of your life. I'm my opinion, simply the best reel on the market for the price. Completely sealed drag that will stop a train. Same drag system and components as their $600 reels.

I have sold dozens to happy customers and its the reel our shop chose to invest in, purchasing 15 for all our trout schools and instruction because these things are freakin bulletproof.
Andrew Nisbet
StoneflyMarch 12th, 2009, 8:03 am
South Williamsport, Pa.

Cortland pro cast, mid arbor, 69.00
Reddington Red.Fly 59.00
extra spools around 25.00
email me for more info
RiverBumMarch 12th, 2009, 12:21 pm
Posts: 3 There are couple different options to look at and I'm sure that one of these will appeal to you. The first of which is the G loomis Venture fly reel its made from cast aluminum and has very durable drag that has great stooping power but is also smooth enough to protect light tippets. It comes in in three different sizes covering line weights 2-8 and comes in at an even $100. I have had the size seven reel for about six years now and use it on carp as well as streamer fishin for trout and it still performs great.
Second is the Ross Fly Rise this is a large arbor cast aluminum fly reel that cost between $95 and $110 depending on what size. There is a reel for line weights 3-8. The Drag system on this reel may very well be the best in its class, a self lubricating synthetic drag that is virtually maintenance free, its actaully the same drag system that they used in their Ryhthm reel which is more than double the price of this reel. I'm looking foward to trying them out this season.
Hopefully this information will help you make a decision or atleast help you narrow it down a little.

New member and first time posting,
Riverbum

DOSMarch 12th, 2009, 1:21 pm
Buffalo, NY

I can also vouch for the G loomis Venture as a decent bang for the buck
Andrew Nisbet
Flyfisher06March 12th, 2009, 3:59 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

There are alot of reels availabe for just over 100 also flyfishAmerica is always comparing new gear and I just boughtan orvis mid arbor for about $70 from the Orvis outlet I believe you can buy reels online from their outlet also Good luck
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
LittleJMarch 13th, 2009, 7:04 am
Hollidaysburg Pa

I have 2 brands of reels . Tetons and orvis BBS. The teton is a great reel for around 180. But the orvis may be my favorite and it was around 100. I don't think you can find a better reel for the money.
Jeff
MartinlfMarch 13th, 2009, 2:16 pm
Palmyra PA

Great thread; these seem like great recommendations. Years ago, after reading lots of positive online recommendations for the Okuma Sierra, I bought and have been using it ever since. It's never let me down, and has landed some 20+ inch fish on light tippets, but lately I've been thinking about upgrading to a large or mid-arbor reel. By the way, the Sierra costs about 40.00 and extra spools are 20.00. If you really want an inexpensive reel, it can't be beat. It is a traditional style reel, though.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
HellgramiteMarch 14th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Southern calif.

Take a look at Cabela's on line
SandflyMarch 16th, 2009, 4:14 am
tioga co. pa.

I use and carry Okuma's in my shop. great reel for under 100.00.
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
JZordMarch 18th, 2009, 12:48 pm
New York

Okuma for sure
FlipnflyMarch 22nd, 2009, 4:04 pm
pittsburgh

what about ross reels how are they... i know my brother has one he likes it but hes not to much of a fly guy...
WbranchMarch 22nd, 2009, 6:13 pm
York & Starlight PA

Ross is a good reel and they have been in business quite a long time now. However if you don't fly fish often, and want to save some money, there are many other reels, for far less money, that will handle most any fresh water situation you get into other than monster pike, salmon, or steelhead where a dependable drag is important.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GONZOMarch 23rd, 2009, 8:06 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I'll chime in on this discussion only to share a personal preference:

I continue to be a fan of classic, lightweight (under 4 oz.), click-and-pawl reels for much of my trout fishing. This is mostly because 6'-8' 2-4 wgt. rods suit most of my "homewaters" very well, and I enjoy fishing these rods/reels/lines immensely. Unfortunately (for me), the traditional reels are rapidly disappearing in favor of the disc-drag, large-arbor types. Although the DD/LA reels might have some advantages for some types of trout fishing, the tradeoff for slightly faster retrieve, larger line coils, and "train-stopping" drags is usually significantly more weight and a size that seems "clunky" on smaller, lighter rods. There are a few lighter weight DD/LA reels on the market, but they tend to be quite expensive. Most of the few remaining lightweight click-and-pawl reels are likewise.

This is just a personal gripe--nothing more. I know that the manufacturers will continue to follow (create?) market trends, and I will continue to cherish and repair my favorite traditional reels.
WbranchMarch 23rd, 2009, 1:36 pm
York & Starlight PA

I agree with Gonzo and use my Hardy LRH and Featherweight for much of my fishing. However I have a Lamson Litespeed that is just a darn nice reel and not that much heavier and for the browns and rainbows that I often catch it is nice having the LA for when a fish that ran 150' downstream all of a sudden changes direction and starts running back up to me. I also have a small Teton that is great for my #4 weight work and 8' 6" - 9' rods.
GONZOMarch 23rd, 2009, 3:09 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I knew that you shared my affection for classic lightweight click-and-pawl reels, Matt. If I were able to fish your beloved Delaware as often as I would like, I would (sometimes) make a different reel choice as well. A few of the lighter DD/LA reels are very nice--like your Lamson or the Ross Evolution. If I had the money, I would consider one of them for the times when I fish longer rods on bigger waters for big fish. But then, I still have a classic click-and-pawl Marquis Multiplier for times when a faster retrieve might be useful, and a disc-drag Ross Gunnison that I use when fishing heavier tippets and lines (such as for steelhead), so I can't really justify (rationalize?) the expense.

The problem, however, is that when someone wants to buy an inexpensive reel to go with a shorter light-line rod for use on small Eastern streams and tribs, I am hard pressed to make recommendations that won't negate much of the lightness and feel that makes these rods so enjoyable to use. There are several relatively inexpensive short light-line rods that are very nice for this kind of fishing (like the shorter Cabela's PT+ or Cortland Brook Series rods), but finding inexpensive lightweight reels to go with them is very difficult. It's a small problem, but many of my newer fishing friends have recently faced this dilemma.
UPTroutBumMarch 23rd, 2009, 6:28 pm
Marquette, MI

Just got a redington catalog and they have a reel for $55.
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker
WbranchMarch 24th, 2009, 10:39 am
York & Starlight PA

I was curious to see the prices of a new Hardy LRH and extra spool and was pretty shocked to see the reel going for $299 and the extra spool $119. I paid $25 for my first LRH and $7 for the extra spool!

Here are a few of my Hardy's -

These are really vintage reels with the two screw nickel silver line guard except the reel with the unventilated spool which is designated "The Lightweight" and has no line guard or adjustable drag and is a precursor of the Lightweight series.
LamMarch 24th, 2009, 11:39 am
Lancaster, PA

I just picked up an ovies battenkill bar stock for $129 with a "free" extra spool. It was a sale but there is good stuff out there in your price range.
MartinlfMarch 26th, 2009, 8:32 am
Palmyra PA

Lastchance, Sierra Trading post has some great deals on reels. For big water trout, where you need a good drag and a large arbor will help recover line, see the Lamson Radius 2. I just bought two of them, and as a long-time Sierra customer, got an extra "come back to me" discount putting the reel in the under 100.00 price range. You might call and negotiate a similar discount; they've been sending me promotions daily for several months.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.