Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > 10 best Trout flies

BluefinJanuary 30th, 2009, 4:38 pm

I am new to the sport but I am a long time fisherman both for sport and for commercial aspects.

I was wondering what would be the 10 best flies to have in your flie box for early spring and summer on the east coast of Canada.

I am interested in flie tying but right now I won't have the time and there is a fly shop near where I live where I plan to buy flies and try my luck but I don't really know what flies I should invest in.

All freshwater where I fish and the water is clear with a rocky bottom. Any help or idea would be great.

Thanks and Tightlines
SandflyJanuary 31st, 2009, 3:34 pm
tioga co. pa.

my best advise is to talk to your local shop, they have the experiance for your area. They should be able to help you more tan any one else on here unless there is some one from your area..
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
GreenghostFebruary 20th, 2009, 10:45 pm
New Brunswick

Bluefin,pm sent.
AndrewFebruary 21st, 2009, 10:30 am
Surprise AZ

i have had great success through out the years and united states with a fly that i tye. I learned about the fly in an article in American Angler article many years ago called a triple hackle fly, it is a small fly tyed ona size 22 hook, easy to tye and catchs all spiecies of fish. It is a tail and three hackles tyed consecutivly and finish the head off. The colors i found that work the best are as follows; grizzly which copies evrything from mosqitos to mayflys, brown, dune and black. With these in your box you will cover the full gamet of small flys you might encounter. Try them i promise you will be satisfied with the results.I'v cought bluegills, smallmouth bass and trout on this fly. It has been one of the few genaric flys i will carry. I much prefer the exact replicas and emerging patterns for the most part, But these flys are a great searching patterns that works.
Avid fly tyer, fly fisherman and bird hunter with little time to do what he loves to do when he wants to do it.working hard to fullfill my outdoor loves and aspirations.
LastchanceFebruary 22nd, 2009, 10:17 am
Portage, PA

Andrew: I'm not being a smart -ss, but what three colors work the best for you? You've listed 4 colors, grizzly, dun, brown and black.
Bruce
AndrewFebruary 22nd, 2009, 6:33 pm
Surprise AZ

The three hackles used on this fly are of the same color. The four colors of flys i have tyed and used with great succsess are as follows; dun, grizzly, brown and black. these have met all the demands i have needed in all the different situations that i have encounter.I do appoligise if i was unclear,this is the first time i have ever given a suggestion in this type of forum.
Avid fly tyer, fly fisherman and bird hunter with little time to do what he loves to do when he wants to do it.working hard to fullfill my outdoor loves and aspirations.
WbranchFebruary 24th, 2009, 8:04 am
York & Starlight PA

As others have mentioned you'd get better, accurate info, from looking up a fly shop in your area and asking this same question. However since you've asked you could consider these:

Black Woolly Bugger with, or without, a BH or Conehead
White Marabou streamer
Gray over white Clouser minnow
Black over olive, over white Clouser minnow
Black Stonefly nymph
Brown Stonefly nymph
Natural Hare's Ear nymph
Pheasant tail nymph
Adams dry fly
Caddis dry flies

I'd get the Bugger, Marabou, and Clousers in #4 - #10. The nymphs in #8 - #14. The Adams in #10 - #18. And the caddis in #10 - #18. That assortment will catch trout anywhere in the USA and Canada.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TeddypFebruary 25th, 2009, 6:03 am
North Carolina

These are all superstar flies that are a must have. I grew up fishing in New Brunswick for Brookies and one fly that I couldn't live without was a paramachene bell. It's a classic wet, but it always produced fish.

You're in a great spot to fish and good luck!

Ted
HackletonFebruary 25th, 2009, 7:21 am
Alexandria VA

Hi All,

I recently moved down here from ME, and I have heard alot of this spring shad run...I have been eagerly awaiting the chance to break out the 5 weight and land something. Can anyone give me anymore info on the shad runs that happen around the DC area, as I live in Alexandria.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-From the Roach with love

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.