Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Got a story to share?, Page 2

MartinlfFebruary 25th, 2009, 4:36 pm
Palmyra PA

You're probably right about Al's response, Flyfisher06, and I agree completely on your last point. Jerks like that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Flyfisher06February 25th, 2009, 8:19 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Martin I hope you understand what I was saying,I have read alot of posts on here and have found alot of yours to be interesting and insightful but every once in a while I feel the need to post myself and this particular instance I thought Al was dead right and I hope he doesnt feel guilty he definitely seems to be well within his rights and I am glad to see him stand up for himself.I dont understand how guys like him and guys who litter and guys who leave dead fish on the shore or deer with hindquarters only removed call themselves sportsmen.I love to hunt and flyfish mostly just bird hunt with my 2 beautiful English Setters and my sons and I ussually keep trout only when they get foul hooked and I fear they will die .I respect nature and outdoor sports whole heartedly and have no respect for guys who hunt and fish and dont respect the outdoors. Sorry to all for my ramblings and run on sentences.Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
FalsiflyApril 19th, 2009, 4:01 pm
Hayward, WI.

Along the bank just up stream from the tree, a tree that wasn’t there last time I was here is a short, deep, narrow cut at the tail of a riffle. A spot that I knew held good fish from past experience. I was well aware of the disastrous consequence the tree implied but I took position and started to cast my tandem nymph rig. I am well accustom to the numerous casts that may be required to elicit a strike, and spent considerable time scouring the prime lie. Just as I was about to move on a fish hit my indicator, giving me the determination to expend a little more effort knowing a fish was there. Numerous casts latter my indicator came to a screeching halt prompting my reflexive response and resulting in a fish on before I had the chance to even consider a snag. The fish came to the surface immediately and I knew I was onto twenty inches plus, and just as quickly the tree resumed its menacing presence. Initially I reduced pressure on the fish in hope that it would remain in the hole, as that tactic has worked for me many times in the past, but this one was hell bent for the tree. I applied all the pressure I dared to the 5x, and was able to hold the fish, only momentarily, right at the tree before it passed under. Now I was giving out line as fast as the fish could take it, amazed that we were still connected. For a split second I considered breaking the union off as hopeless, but I recalled past stories from books expounding the successful outcome of just this kind of situation. I made haste for the tree and was fraught with passing the rod under the tree tip-first, because I was passing the rod tip around the wrong side of a submerged branch that was difficult to see. I finally managed to pass the rod, completely submerged under the tree, and climb over. Once on the other side I regained my composure but I couldn’t feel the fish. I then became aware that my line was tangled in a smaller branch just under the surface. From there I followed the line about fifty feet down stream and saw the fish wallowing next to shore in about six inches of water, still on. I was now pretty confident that I just might pull this off. I bent over to untangle the line from the branch and with a final tug was free, and so was the fish.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.