Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Kitten of the Sea

Shawnny3January 13th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99249669

Now this changes everything. I hereby swear off fishing forever. I am now going upstairs, however, to tie some kitten and puppy flies, maybe go out and do a little kittening or puppying tomorrow. Would it be barbaric if I used real kittens and puppies as tying materials, or, in the name of everything good, should I limit myself to synthetics? I suppose I'll have to catch some first and then decide. My neighbor's got a feisty bulldog that might be kinda fun on a 7-wt...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyPJanuary 13th, 2009, 5:50 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

gosh, is it true that to get protection, all something needs is a cutie-pie name? if we called them man-pups, would children be less subject to abuse?

meanwhile, Shawn, let's just put hooks in some of those feathery toys that we use to tease our resident feline companion animals--why re-invent the wheel?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
FalsiflyJanuary 13th, 2009, 6:06 pm
Hayward, WI.

What the hell ?????????

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/sea_kittens1
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
CaseyPJanuary 13th, 2009, 7:52 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

here are some more adorable cuddly kittens of the sea

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/video-player/video-player.html

"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
LittleJJanuary 14th, 2009, 5:42 am
Hollidaysburg Pa

This is good information to know. All this time I thought if I wanted to be protected I should observe our second ammendment and go out and get me a gun, or become a highly trained master of some martial art. When really all i needed to do was fall down and purr. Does anyone have experience in this mode of defense? Perhaps if I wear a costume similar to the dog suit worn by "harry" in "Dumb And Dumber", I could avoid confrontation all together. Good stuff shawn this really is revolutionary:)
Jeff
Chris_3gJanuary 14th, 2009, 6:14 am
Posts: 59The wife sent me that link yesterday afternoon; it makes me want to go out and kick a dog just to let it know who's boss.

I think my favorite statements are:

1.) "I don't see fish as sea kittens; I see them as food," says 12-year-old Chastity Haskins.

I practice C&R, but feel similarly about cows.

2.) "So as there is less of a demand for foods like fish, there is more of a demand for other foods, and jobs open up in those industries," Byrne says.

Yah...because Alaskans will take up lettuce farming rather than fishing.

Chris.

* No dogs, sea kittens, fish, cows, or heads of lettuce were harmed in the making of this reply.
Shawnny3January 14th, 2009, 12:38 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

When the most cogent statements made in a news article are the thoughts of a 12-year-old girl, you have to wonder whether you have entered some kind of bizzaro world. Which, I suppose, is what happens to anyone who happens to browse PETA's website...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
LeakywadersJanuary 14th, 2009, 10:31 pm
New England

My mother in law was a "cat lady" she had over 20 stray cats she had "rescued" over the years when she died. Actually they were well cared for, the house didn't stink. They were in a back bedroom which I called the cat prison. Actually they were cared for by her daughters for the last 5 years she lived. When she died the daughters went thru hell trying to get rid of them. Most, being strays, were not socialized, skiddish, wild. My sister in law now has 6, and we have 4 (two ran away just after we got them). The shelters are all full of cats/dogs from people loosing their homes. One is snoring on the couch as I write this. My grandaughter calls them "Dammit Cats." They are NOT cute and cuddley. I have a spray bottle I use to chase them off the bed (wanted a water blaster for christmas) and they fail to learn. If they are "water kittens" I'm gonna stop C&R, and throw them up on the bank.
When my son was in his late teens and was going to demonstrate for animal rights, against fur garments I told him to never forget that people are more important than animals. I keep telling HER that she should throw the cats out, and donate the money to a charity that helps PEOPLE. There are people in Africa that would love to eat your cat/dog food.
Grandaughter was chasing one around with the beard trimmer for dubbing the other day.
I could go on for pages and pages and pages
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
TroutnutJanuary 15th, 2009, 12:30 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I propose a campaign to send PETA millions of pictures of kittens thrown into large bodies of water, trying to swim. I bet they'll rethink their messaging on this one.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Chris_3gJanuary 15th, 2009, 5:33 am
I propose a campaign to send PETA millions of pictures of kittens thrown into large bodies of water, trying to swim. I bet they'll rethink their messaging on this one.

HAHAHAHAHAH! Let's all thank Jason for starting our mornings off right with this one.
TroutnutJanuary 15th, 2009, 11:50 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

A great line from Stephen Colbert's show tonight: "If I have to stop eating sea kittens, that means I get to start eating what I like to call land fish." (shows a picture of a kitten)

He suggests a more diverse diet, though:

"field potatoes" = cows
"sky nachos" = owls
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.