Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fishing Dogs

AftonAnglerJanuary 5th, 2009, 7:32 am
Brule, WI

Best buddies of all!

Show em up sportsfans...Lucky Penny all star fly fishing dog!

one of TroutNuts finest pics imho

sorry I ate your Henrys Fork dad...

on her first fishin trip to Little Whiskey on the Rush

what keeps her busy these days...

what will keep us both busy this season...The Chunk is the next great fishin dog!

FYI - I have several pups still available...ready for new fishing/hunting homes by midFeb 2009...purebred and registered parents...give me a PM is you are interested...
See you on the Water.

Brad Bohen

The Afton Angler
www.BradBohen.com
AftonAngler@BradBohen.com
Shawnny3January 5th, 2009, 3:19 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I'm not a dog person, and I've never met a dog while fishing that I was particularly glad to have met, but those are beautiful shots and it's easy to tell from them that you're passionate about your fishing buddies, Brad.

That first photo is stunning. Is that one of Jason's? I suppose it's Brad's dog, though?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
RleePJanuary 5th, 2009, 3:36 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I am a dog person, of sorts. I just will not subject one to living in the suburban setting we now occupy. Maybe someday when we can move back out of this ant farm.

While a dog person of sorts, I've never been a fishing dog person. It just never would have worked with any dog I had. And in any event, when I'm fishing I'm all about fishing and really have no extra time for being about dogs.

I can see though where it would be a cool thing and your dogs sure are beautiful, Brad. It's just that the tune in my head is in a different key than the one most amenable to the song of the fishing dog...
AftonAnglerJanuary 5th, 2009, 5:42 pm
Brule, WI

Best Buddies

I understand where you are coming from fellows.

The first fly shop I worked in was down in St. Paul and the owner had a very hyper active dog...she was a good and loving girl but she only had one speed - MACH1 and was naughty...

He liked to take her fishing and it would just piss me off. Just out of control and a pain. I'd generally end up looking afer her while boss man fished his way along oblivious.

The other guides felt the same way...she and he had no clue!

When I was a wee little troutfreaker my folks would ship me out to Montana to stay the summer with an adopted set of Grandparents named Nick and Lucy...Nick and I fished and traveled all over the MT/ID/WY country with a dog named Spur.

Nick lands a trout on the Jeff while Spur just stays cool

I use to feel that dogs had no place on the trout streams in the Midwest...until I met a guide buddy that we called Wookie. The Wook is still one of the top guides I have ever know but his 1st mate was a big Chessy named Yogi.

Yogi was just pure and simple a fantastic fishing dog. He turned my heart around. In fact Yogi is gone now but I still consider him one of the best fishin buddies I have ever had and most likely ever will know.

Big Pike Mike lands a nice king for Wookie while Yogi keeps watch

Another great fishin buddy was Samsara...she was my pal Dynomite Dans...Danno is a rolling stone and Samsara lived on and of with my wife JenJen, Penny and I for the last three years of her life.

I miss her dearly! Man did the three of us fish...

Dynomite and Samsara are quite a pair!

So does Penny...

R.I.P. Samsara

Ya a good fishing dog is just a treasure to have along fellas. I have great two legged fishing buddies but an equal amount of four leggers...and the four leggers never swipe my cold brew and nerver tell on a spot!

Fido was a friendly farmers dog who liked to accompany me when I went to a secret spot that required tresspass to get to on the Rush...Roger the farmer always let me in because the dog and I were such good partners...

Fido likes to fish

Of course on foot dogs have to be trained to fish properly so as not to piss off you non dog loving anglers. But if truth be told us dog folks think the the k9's have the right over you all! Ha!

Boat dogs are happy dogs. Seems like the best drift trips always have a four legger along...or two...

Penny Marv and Hikie ready for a float

Yes Happiness is a fishing dog loving life in my book sportsfans...

Happiness is a tummy facing the summer sun!

To each his own I guess. I am a better angler due to my four legged pals.
See you on the Water.

Brad Bohen

The Afton Angler
www.BradBohen.com
AftonAngler@BradBohen.com
CjbeschOctober 21st, 2012, 7:40 pm
Garden Grove, CA

Hi I just happened upon this page while trying to find a breed of dog that likes to go fishing. May I ask if someone could please tell me what type of dogs those are in the boat? Penny and Hikie? Gorgeous dogs. Thank you very much. I hope someone sees this even though this is an old post.

Blessings,

Carol
EntomanOctober 21st, 2012, 9:37 pm
Northern CA & ID

Welcome to the forum, Cjbesch!

Unfortunately, the owner of those beautiful dogs hasn't posted in more than three years so I'll answer with a reasonably educated guess. They are definitely English Setters, probably of the Ryman line based on their very distinctive conformation. Excellent bird dogs, yet without being high strung! They are also very expensive... http://www.decoverlykennels.com/
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsOctober 23rd, 2012, 12:13 pm
Colorado

Almost any companion dog can be a fishing dog. It's the relationship that counts. This starts with obedience. Choosing a It a breed that suits your lifestyle counts for a lot too.

If this sounds like the recipe for choosing ANY dog, it is.

If there is anything special about a "fishing dog" it would be environment: amount of exercise, temperature extremes, willingness/ability to wade or swim, ...

EntomanOctober 23rd, 2012, 2:59 pm
Northern CA & ID

More importantly, that the dog will stay close! Nothing is more infuriating than some guy's "fishing dog" that decides it wants to come visit me as I'm working over rising fish. Anybody (and you know who you are) who goes astream with a dog like that... well, might as well wade right up to your fellow anglers and throw rocks in the water. Dammed inconsiderate.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Kschaefer3October 23rd, 2012, 3:58 pm
St. Paul, MN

Entoman - I agree! I had the good fortune of spending time with Penny, the setter pictured above, and can assure you, she's not like that. I would love to have a dog to fish with, but would only do so if I was 100% confident my dog would do exactly as I say, exactly when I say.

I would do my best to have a dog that listened that well anyway, but it's imperative on the river.
EntomanOctober 23rd, 2012, 4:26 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ah! I didn't put much hope in a response involving the actual dog after all this time. Am I right in my guess about her breeding?

My Dad had a Ryman strain setter from a breeder in Idaho. Wonderful dog named Bonnie who went everywhere with him. After he passed away, she moved in with me. She followed exactly to the day one year later...
Kschaefer3October 23rd, 2012, 4:49 pm
St. Paul, MN

The very top picture..which is quite a nice picture I must say! To be honest I am not completely sure on the breed, only that she is an English Setter, which you already knew. I have only been around her a couple times, only once on the water.

That is a very interesting tidbit. I have heard similar stories about elderly couples and one spouse following the other in that way. I think that speaks to the deep connection of people with other people...as well as dogs.
EntomanOctober 23rd, 2012, 4:54 pm
Northern CA & ID

Yes.
Feathers5October 25th, 2012, 8:40 am
Posts: 287Very cool photos. I'd love to have a dog as a fishing buddy. But, first, I'd have to know it wouldn't bother the fishing or other fishermen. I've been fishing twice with friends and their dogs. But, they weren't obedient, and ruined the trips. They were friendly dogs, but shouldn't have been near the water.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.