Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Dryer lint

GoofusBugJanuary 1st, 2009, 9:28 pm
Posts: 31When doing a load of laundry recently, I noticed that the dryer lint from that load looked like decent dubbing material.

Anyone ever used it for such a purpose?
Al514January 2nd, 2009, 5:01 am
Central New York

Yes, I have myself, and I believe that other people use it pretty frequently. I think its great for small nymphs.
TroutnutJanuary 2nd, 2009, 7:17 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I'm almost afraid to ask, but... has anyone used belly button lint for dubbing?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
JADJanuary 2nd, 2009, 9:29 am
Alexandria Pa

My kIND-A POST finaly I'm an expert.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but... has anyone used belly button lint for dubbing?
Jason Neuswanger
The Troutnut

I like to use Lingerie dub (when I can lay my hands on it)here's a great link--http://www2.victoriassecret.com/collection/?cgname=OSSLPLGEZZZ&cgnbr=OSSLPLGEZZZ&rfnbr=5366&page=all&cm_mmc=Google-_-Lingerie%20III_General-_-Exact-_-women%27s%20lingerie

Well well do you notice lingerie ends with Martinlf ( Louis) favorite new fishing spot.

Thanks this was fun:)

JAD (old timer)

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
FalsiflyJanuary 2nd, 2009, 10:45 am
Hayward, WI.

Thank you JAD,
This topic is becoming quite interesting. I visited your suggested site and found the selection revealing. I asked myself, with such a large choice of offering how does one choose? My answer, use your imagination.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GoofusBugJanuary 2nd, 2009, 1:19 pm
LeakywadersJanuary 2nd, 2009, 3:49 pm
New England

Since you are talking about lint....

I found all of my dubbed bodies had a blue tint, couldn't figure it out till I realized I was wiping the excess dubbing wax on my jeans, and picking up the blue lint.

Perhaps HER belly button lint....
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
SandflyJanuary 3rd, 2009, 5:31 am
tioga co. pa.

I prefer toe jam fuzz, has a nice dark color and fish love the smell, well at least catfish do...
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
MartinlfJanuary 3rd, 2009, 10:34 am
Palmyra PA

If some didn't get JAD's allusion to lingerie ending in my new favorite fishing site, I've capitalized the first letter of it in the target word: LingErie. Very witty, John, with the allusion to steelhead fishing. I see from the site you recommend that you've found a way to combine two great interests of many flyfishermen--and perhaps some flyfisherwomen. I just wonder what Taxon thinks of all this . . .
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TaxonJanuary 3rd, 2009, 1:19 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Louis,

I just wonder what Taxon thinks of all this . . .

As long as you asked, Taxon cleans out the trap before each use of the dryer, but has never actually tried any of the lint for fly tying. The fibers just don't feel substantial enough for use as dubbing. As to some of the more gross suggestions, hmmmmmm.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
HellgramiteJanuary 5th, 2009, 12:55 pm
Southern calif.

Not to sound crude but i met a guy several years ago who would shave his girlfriend and use it for the hackle on dry flys.He called the fly a "Muffy" Just thought you all would be interested.Has anyone herd of this?
GoofusBugJanuary 6th, 2009, 7:34 pm
Posts: 31Would these be essential for tying the Bitch Creek variations?
LeakywadersJanuary 8th, 2009, 6:07 pm
New England

I shared this post with HERSELF.

I was told that if Fredricks of Hollywood, ever gets on any of my flies, I wiuld get a free trip to the bottom of Bitch Creek. Then she resorted to the vocabulary she learned in the Navy...
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
JADJanuary 9th, 2009, 6:03 am
Alexandria Pa

Well no dubbing their.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
TrtklrJanuary 12th, 2009, 7:53 am
Banned
Michigan

couple points on dubbing. first a question. I'm dubbing a body and my fingers are a little dry. i wipe my fingers across my forehead and pick up a little oil from my skin. its now easier to dub. the question, you think the fish smell my scent in the dubbing? on dries or wets? the reason i ask is because i read that a bear has a scent that is on their coat that a fish can smell downstream, I can't remember what its called but the article said humans have this same compound. second just a point that I work in a furniture store and there are rugs in front of just about every living room set. I can take my foot and move it back and forth on just about any rug and i'll have a store bought size amount of dubbing in about a minute. and it dubs beautifully, no forehead oil needed.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
JADJanuary 12th, 2009, 8:38 am
Alexandria Pa

GoofusBug old buddy, if you eat a lot of fish or take fish oil pills you will smell like a fish---just kidding.

I guess we should all tie and fish with rubber gloves,you can always hang a maggot of the end of your flies .
(check this out.) http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtstrout.html

JAD

HellgramiteJanuary 14th, 2009, 10:13 am
Southern calif.

Just a note:My wife makes jewelry and I went to the store with her the other day {CRAFT STORE}and found all kinds of yarn,feathers,copper wire,you name it it was there.And all for about half the cost at the fly shop.Has anyone found this as a source for matt.?
JADJanuary 14th, 2009, 5:37 pm
Alexandria Pa

You bet ,great resource

JaD

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.