Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Rod help!

ProslackassJuly 18th, 2008, 7:46 am
Colorado

I would like to hear/ read everyone’s opinion on fly rods.

I am looking to pick up second rod and I am looking for a 7’6” 3wt (for hiking Colorado streams/ creeks). Since it will be a second rod, I did not want to spend too much. I have been fishing for 7 years and enjoy fast action rods (they seem to fit my casting style).

The Cabelas (Three Forks) has a 7 ½’ 3wt in a three piece for $49 and rod and reel combos for less then $100 (perfect!!), but I am under the assumption “you get what you pay for” and $49 for a rod seems way cheap. Although, since it will be, a second rod that price is very appealing. Are the Cabelas rod’s good quality? Has anyone used this rod? Do you have any other recommendations?

Thank you in advance.
Ryan

FreepowJuly 18th, 2008, 8:41 am
menomonie, WI

I too was looking for a modestly priced 3 wt. and am exceptionally happy with my Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Signature Series. It is a solid rod with great moderate action. I have been fishing it all season now and feel that I may never need another 3 wt. It runs about $100. Before this I had a Gander Mnt. Guide Series (which I am assuming is similar to the Cabelas setup) and thought that it was just fine...until it broke and Gander discontinued the model so I was out a bunch of money; then I tried the TF rod. Like you said, you get what you pay for...except for with the Temple Fork...it is worth way more than a hundred bucks. Also, it comes with a lifetime warranty. By buddy throws a 5 wt. and I can't get him to shut up with how happy he is too. Hope that helps...that's my suggestion...
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
Jjlyon01July 18th, 2008, 5:30 pm
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

I second the TFO Lefty Kreh. I bought the 7'6" 3wt for some small new York streams and I love this rod almost as much as my Orvis T3 (which only cost 75 dollars hehe). All I wish is that I bought a 3 piece (if it comes in that) so I can haul it along with me on my bicycle easier. After I bought mine however, 2 of my buddies bought the same exact rod.

Great Price. Great Deal.
"I now walk into the wild"
MartinlfJuly 20th, 2008, 9:30 am
Palmyra PA

I probably fish my TFO 7'6" three weight more than any other rod I own, and use it for dry fly fishing and nymphing. I don't nymph a lot with my TFO 8' four weight, though, as I have been told, and believe, that being pretty stiff, it may "bounce" fish off at close range. I generally prefer the more limber three weight, or a more supple and/or longer rod for close-range nymphing. The four weight is a great Trico rod, though. My brother-in-law fishes Cabela's rods, though their higher end rods, and he likes them a lot. Do you have the opportunity to cast the rod at a local Cabela's store?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FishhookJuly 30th, 2008, 6:43 am
South Korea

Mystic Fly rods,

I am a returning fly fisherman and was pleased by the responsiveness, feel, craftsmanship, accuracy and quality these rods offer. You are getting a premium quality rod without the premium price tag that the average guy can afford. I own a Mystic 3wt 8’3” 3 piece rod and a 5wt 9‘3”4 piece rod. The 5wt rod comes packed in its very own 32" by 2” graphite rod tube with protective sock. Both rods come with this same travel tube and sock but the 2wt rod is a little longer. The 5wt breaks down smaller and should be a great rod to attach to a pack. I have used the 2wt 2 piece rod in the 7'3" version as well but opted for the 3 wt version. All the rods are a dream to fish and cast. You may want to check them out at http://www.mysticoutdoors.com/ I plan to post reviews as I get back out on the water on the rods I use so stay tuned.

In closing, I hope this helps. Please tell them I sent you when you visit their site. Look them over and let me know if you have any questions that I can answer.

Bob Soska
Best friend's Site:
Mystic Fly Rods - Premium rods without the premium price tag!
www.mysticoutdoors.com
EricdSeptember 28th, 2008, 9:28 pm
Mpls, MN

off topic, but related, my TFO rod just broke and I can't remember if I filled out he warranty and sent it in. Should I send it back with a $25 check, like the website says, and expect a repaired or new rod?
TrtklrOctober 4th, 2008, 4:14 pm
Banned
Michigan

I have a cabelas rod. I can't remember the model it is but I love it. it was a kit rod that all someone had done is put the handle on and none of the rest. I know it wasnt one of their best rods. I put the guides on and it works great for me. I think about these 3 and 4 hundred dollar rods and I wonder what the . . .yes they are nice and the performance is great but how much rod do you need? I can have 10 or so feet of line out and shoot another 30 out easy, I can do wiggle casts with no problem. oh, and by the way, it cost me $13.00 the guides cost me another $15.00 and the flex coat about 3 can I catch fish? yes, can I cast 60'? yes(probably longer but the streams I fish aren't that big) does it have control for wiggle casts and such? yes. its an 8' 5wt and I fish michigan streams that average about 30' wide. I will say I picked up a tfo ticrx 6wt 9ft saltwater and the feel was great. and the nice thing about the tfo is the lifetime warranty. (ericd call them first). proslackass the best thing about cabelas is the return policy. if you don't like it take it back. they don't give you any slack at all. I have a friend that took back mono line.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
Chris_3gOctober 6th, 2008, 7:10 am
Posts: 59I have a TFO Signature Series 8'-6" 4 wt. and a TFO Signature Series 8'-6" 5 wt., and I like both of them. Based upon some recommendations from people here, I purchased the 4 wt. about four months into my fly-fishing addiction, and have been very pleased with it. I fished it almost all of 2007 on a variety of streams. I was really pleased with how "forgiving" it was, given that I was new to the sport, art, or science (pick your poison), so I purchased a second rod for my trip out to CO last year, so my wife could fish as well. While my wife doesn't really fish anymore, I made good use of the 5 wt. on small mouth bass this year. Both seem to have a medium-fast action feel to them.

I'll also attest to the warranty service. A small mishap resulting from slippery rocks and poor footing (in CO) created a weak spot in the 4 wt. blank, and while I got a couple more months of solid fishing in, it finally snapped while casting a heavy streamer. I sent the rod in and they sent it back with a new tip section.

I only have experience with the Signature Series, so I can't speak much on the others, but the Professional Series rods have more options as far as 3-4 piece rigs, and I wouldn't hesitate to go that route if I were in the market for a new rod.

Chris.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.