Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Finding Dobsonfly adults

This topic is about the Insect Family Corydalidae

Hellgrammites are the vicious larvae of the Dobsonflies, some of the only trout stream insects which pose a biting threat to the angler. The pincers of the adult are even more frightening that the larva's, and they're aggressive enough to use them once in a while.

This family's life cycle does not create good dry fly opportunities, but the larvae may be eaten by trout year-round. They are a secret told only by stomach samples of well-fed trout. Read more...

There are 6 more specimens...

The Discussion

Raider83June 27th, 2008, 10:21 am
Indiana

I am an amatuer entomologist and am searching for adult dobsonflies. I think this is the right time of year for dobsonflies in Indiana. what are some ideal places and times to look? I know they like lights. If anyone lives in Indiana what are good places to look? I know you guys know your stuff when it comes to aquatic insect hatches, so I thought I would ask. TIA
GONZOJune 27th, 2008, 2:56 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I would look for lights near a fairly fast, rocky stretch of a low elevation river. (A gas station would be good.) In addition, Dobsonflies like to lay their eggs in the leaves of overhanging trees, on bridge abutments, or on vertical rock walls--places where the hatching larvae can fall into the water. However, these spots make for trickier collecting, especially after dark. Good hunting.
CrenoJune 27th, 2008, 6:42 pm
Grants Pass, OR

And they often land in the bushes next to the light, not on the brightest part. Put your back to the light and look at the overhanging bushes and the ground. If you have an power inverter drive to a crick access where there are no other lights but a good view of the crick (the boat launch) and take a large 110 bulb, I use a mercury vapor, and hang it in a tree by the crick. If you hang a sheet a couple feet from the bulb so the bulb is between the crick and the sheet you will be overwhelmed with critters. And remember to look behind the sheet.
KonchuJune 28th, 2008, 6:29 am
Site Editor
Indiana

I've collected most of mine from around security lights of light-colored buildings that are located near suitable larval habitat.

The mv light and sheet is a good idea. Not only should you check behind the sheet, but you need to check the ground and brush several feet away from the sheet. Not everything comes directly to the light.
KonchuJune 30th, 2008, 10:59 am
Site Editor
Indiana

I went to one of my adult Megaloptera collecting spots last Saturday (June 28), and sure enough, I found one flying around, about 4:30 Daylight Time. I don't know what about this spot is good for the adults, but I find them there frequently. It is an old church cemetery, about 1/2 mile from the nearest stream of any size.
Majj25July 1st, 2008, 4:48 pm
pa

i have an adult dobson fly. slighty larger than 4 inches, with its pinchers ( or whatever they are called) at least an inch in length. id be more than happy to send it to you. im not sure if you want it alive though. its alive now. but if it dies i could package it and send it to you. not really sure how id do that. maybe you would know? i just happened to find this in my gazebo, naturally freaked out because ive never seen anything like it before.researched it and found this site. seattle2679@yahoo.com maggie
Raider83July 2nd, 2008, 4:34 pm
Indiana

Maggie If you really want to send it to me(Dead) then go ahead and try. Packaging wise, I would put in a small plastic container that it fits in and gently surround it with cotton balls to protect it. It will most likely break somehow, but its worth a shot if you still have it. If it flew away, thanks anyway for your generous offer.
Shawnny3July 3rd, 2008, 10:38 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Nah, have some fun with the postman and send it alive. I'm thinking a transparent container with air holes punched in it.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.