Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New Waders

BflatApril 28th, 2008, 4:42 pm
central wisconsin

I'm looking yo buy new waders.

About nine years ago I bought my first breathable waders (Orvis). I'm still using them! They've held up well. However, even though I've been happy, I've begun reading of Orvis waders having a history of leaking after mild use. That certainly hasn't been my experience...but was mine a fluke? Are Simms better?

I'd appreciate people's opinions on the subject.
What's your experience?
Who makes the best waders?

Thanks,
Bob
Bflat
Shawnny3April 28th, 2008, 7:14 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I love my Dan Baileys, and I got them pretty cheap on ebay, like $70 or something.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JoecApril 28th, 2008, 7:57 pm
portsmouth, nh

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. I have owned 2prs of Simms guide weight waders in the past 10 yrs. They have served me well. I fish under all conditions, saltwater, winter, brushy streams. I also don't hang them very much (recommended). I definitely can't complain about their performance. That said, they are still a bit pricey. I recently bought a pair of Dan Bailey's Boot foot style for cold weather (steelhead) fishing. So far so good. I believe Dan Bailey breathables changed their fabric this year and bargains can be found on the internet. For the money, they are worth a try. Good luck!
WbranchApril 29th, 2008, 4:02 am
York & Starlight PA

I'd had a pair of Orvis Pro Guides for just a few years and they started to leak. I took them back to the fly shop where I bought them and the store manager told me he didn't have the OPrvis in my size but would give me a pair of Simms instead.

I forget the name of the model but they were not the high end model, I remember looking at them in another store and they cost about $225. I've had them about five years now and they were totally dry until two years ago. Then they developed about ten pin hole leakers along both leg seams. I located the holes and patched them both inside and out with those iron-on patches and they have been dry ever since. It should be noted I fish at least seventy (70) days each season.

My wife bought me a pair of the Cabela's 2007 model Guide Tech with the zippered drop down front compartment. I'm saving them until the Simms start to leak again.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MonktroutApril 29th, 2008, 4:27 am
Posts: 2I have had two pairs of Orvis Silver Label, and they are as comfortable as a pair of slacks. Only recently have I noticed a small leak. I also have a pair of Simms guide waders. Not as comfortable as the Orivis, but tougher for bushwacking. They sprung a leak just over a year from they date of purchase. With postge, cost me about $50.00 to get leak fixed from Simms.
LittleJApril 29th, 2008, 3:33 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

I'll second shawn on the dan baileys, this is my first year with them but I have no complaints so far. I had a cheap pair of pro lines I paid $70 for and got a tad over 100 days out of them. That works out to under a dollar a day, I wouldn't think that you could get much more than 200 days out of a pair of simms which works out to about $2 a day. That's how I look at waders anyway.
Jeff
MartinlfApril 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm
Palmyra PA

I've heard great things about Dan Bailey's, but for my next pair I'm going to try Simms. I like the idea of being able to get them fixed when they spring a leak instead of replacing them.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FalsiflyApril 30th, 2008, 6:34 am
Hayward, WI.

Hey Louis!
What happened to that pair of Simms you had for sale back in January? Maybe you could work out a deal with Bob, size permitting.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
MartinlfApril 30th, 2008, 12:29 pm
Palmyra PA

Following a tip from Simms, I sent them to Leland Outfitters, who sold them on Ebay and gave me store credit for them (taking no cut, by the way). They are selling a few other items for me for store credit, and when they have finished up I'll order a new pair of Simms that are an inch or two longer. It's a good program. They send you free shipping labels and do all the leg work. You get full credit from the sale for anything in their shop.

But thanks for the idea.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JOHNWApril 30th, 2008, 1:41 pm
Chambersburg, PA

I'll throw my hat in for th eDan Bailey's as well. They moved the seem from the traditional inseem area to an area of less stress. I've only had mine for about a year but love them.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
CaseyPApril 30th, 2008, 7:20 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

if you are a lady angler (surely there are lady anglers here?) you cannot beat Hodgeman for fit. they have a full range of prices and types, so that the light-fishing ladies can have something that fits as well as those worn by the ladies who don't cook any more because they're never home by dinner.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
SayfuOctober 12th, 2011, 8:46 am
Who makes the Orvis waders would be my question? Orvis makes very little. I want the boot foot attached...got enough things to get ready besides sitting down, and putting a sock over my stockingfoot, and then the shoes. My buddies watch me catch fish while they put on their waders! In my experience, the wader lasts longer with the boot foot attached. And want a wader to last longer? Buy the boot foot driers with the longer stems provided for chest highs...boots rot from the inside out much of the time!
GulfcoasterNovember 27th, 2011, 5:55 pm
Texas

Hodgman makes a pretty decent neoprene wader. Fairly inexpensive and i've had 3 pairs in the last 15 years. So considering that each are about $50 each thats $50 for 5 years whereas buying the more expensive ones will cost you $100 and may last you 7 years. Do the math.
Chest Deep
EntomanNovember 27th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Matt -
Then they developed about ten pin hole leakers along both leg seams

The best way to find and repair pinhole leaks in Simms Gore-tex waders is to turn them inside out and spritz the suspected area of trouble with rubbing alchohol. I can't tell you why, but the leak spots will turn dark purple. Take a dab of Aquaseal slightly thinned with the thinner they sell with it (a weird sounding Aztec type name that escapes me at the moment) and dab it on the spot with a toothpick. Most can be covered with a pea sized ring.. In the neck of my wading jacket, a three inch segment of seam turned color so I had to paint the Aquaseal on. Patches are only needed for rips.

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SayfuNovember 27th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Water reaches 50 degrees, and I wade wet. But I'm from Idaho. Folks at the boat ramps look in disbelief at the start of each season when they watch me launch my boat. And a downside of my late season fishing when I finally have to put waders on.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.