Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Any experience with this style?

GetyourboneApril 26th, 2008, 4:01 pm
Baldwin, WI

I haven't had a chance to see if the trout like it but I did try it out yesterday in muddy water and it seemed to float fine.

Anyone have experience with tying this way?
(my camera is 6-8 years old so the quality of the photo isn't the best. I have to take the blame for the quality if the tying though.

MartinlfApril 26th, 2008, 5:39 pm
Palmyra PA

I've tied and fished various upside down flies over the years. The wing must be flexible enough and/or the hook gapped wide enough to hook fish. They work just fine in terms of fish rising to them. Your fly looks good in terms of silhouette; it should be plenty of attractive to the fish. Let us know how it works.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JADApril 28th, 2008, 5:39 am
Alexandria Pa

Nice looking fly ,I think it will work. I'll take a dozen to experiment with in Pa,in sulfur yellow to try in a couple of weeks:)

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
TrtklrJune 5th, 2008, 12:41 pm
Banned
Michigan

I've tied these type of flies and they work just fine for me. Be mindful of the bend of the hook on the second photo it looks like your getting too far down on the bend. your can see it in the tail.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
VermonterJune 5th, 2008, 5:55 pm
Excellent product! Has worked well for me.
RoyChristieAugust 25th, 2008, 6:12 pm
London UK

Hi, GYB, the design is nearly there,
As mentioned, keep the wing as flexible as possible, I use woodduck fibers, about 12 - 15 fibers, so the wing does not obstruct hook-ups. Tails should be flexible, those on your fly aare fine.
The difference I put into my tying of the USD is that I use the thorax cover method of splitting the hackle; then when the fly is completed and the lacquer on the thorax cover (pheasant tail cover) is dried, run the haackle fibers over your fingernail to make them bend up toward the wing.
This way the hackle barbs do not penetrate the surface and the fly floats totally dry.
Do not clip out any fibers which stick out over the hook eye, these stop the fly from tipping onto its nose.
You have a good design there; keep the wing slim.
What hook is that on your fly?

Here is one of my EasyPeasy USD duns..

ok, make it two...

TaxonAugust 25th, 2008, 6:32 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Roy,

Just use the scissors icon to modify your post, and change each of the four instance of IMG to all lower case, and you'll be good to go.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
RoyChristieAugust 25th, 2008, 6:35 pm
London UK

Thanks, Roger, sleepytime for me.

later,
Roy
SofthackleAugust 26th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

I must tell you, Roy is probably one of the best tiers of upside-down, backwards flies I've ever seen. I also consider him very innovative in tying and a very good friend. Yes, Roy, I'm here, too.

Mark

To see more of Roy's great flies go here:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/rchristie/rchristie.htm
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
RoyChristieAugust 27th, 2008, 11:55 am
London UK

hi, Mark

thanks for the good refs, mate

Roy

:)
TrtklrSeptember 3rd, 2008, 7:44 am
Banned
Michigan

its funny this thread got revisited because I was just thinking about it this last week. has anyone ever tied their mayflies backwards. tail coming off the eyelet and hackle by the bend. it seems like it would work great for drifting downstream, someone told me a mayfly won't float backwards down a stream.
MartinlfSeptember 3rd, 2008, 2:44 pm
Palmyra PA

I tie some spinners this way, especially Trico parachutes, and a few duns, also parachutes, as well as Waterwisp flies. It makes sense to me.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3September 3rd, 2008, 3:54 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Do you notice any significant differences in the performance of the backward versus the forward style, Louis?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
SofthackleSeptember 3rd, 2008, 6:42 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Trtklr,
Roy Christie ties them backwards, and upside-down. Look at some of his flies on the link I posted earlier in the thread. Roy says that flies tied like this work better because the way the fly floats, it holds/pushes the leader underwater. (Notice they are tied on an up eye hook.)

Look here, too:
http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/troutflydesign2.shtml

I find this idea intriguing. It makes a lot of sense.

Louis, how do you tie yours? Where is the wing placed, hackle, etc.?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
MartinlfSeptember 3rd, 2008, 7:19 pm
Palmyra PA

Mark, I tie my reverse parachute Tricos by putting a post just over the hook point, or a bit back toward the bend, and I tie them right side up. I think I have full directions in the Trico thread that was active a while back. I don't use tails, and the tippet floats on the surface, unlike Roy's. I've heard that sinking the tippet is best with picky fish, though, and I like Roy's flies.

--Fred Chappell
SofthackleSeptember 4th, 2008, 3:42 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Thanks, Louis.

Mark

TrtklrSeptember 4th, 2008, 5:01 pm
Banned
Michigan

talking about tippet floating or in the water makes me think of a book I was reading that talked of putting floatant on the tippet up about 10". this would make the tippet loop in the air as it came off the fly. thats the only way I did it when I started fly fishing. it does work, the loop I mean. there is about 4" of line that bows up in the air.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.