Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > catch any fish this week?

LittleJApril 24th, 2008, 10:31 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

Hopefully some of you have had better luck than me getting to a river this week. I spent the past 4 days in Ohio (the worst place on this planet to spend warm spring days during the start of hatch season) and am starting to develop a twitch now that it's going on a week of no fishing.(and it's not looking good for me until at least mon.....damn family obligations)
So I would like to here some reports if you have any, and what the bug situation looks like. Has this warm weather brought about any early march brown sightings from the central pa boys.
jeff
SmallstreamApril 25th, 2008, 3:24 pm
State College, PA

actually hit spring creek today after class, caught like 10 or 11 and must have missed 5-6 more, but most were little 4-5 inch dinks, being in state college sure does have its advantages fishing-wise. there were quite a few fish rising, I thought it was caddis but Im not sure, nymphing was the way to go today, those little trout absolutely smashed a small pheasant tail

keepers of the stream

a duck family

caught a lot of tiny trout (4-5 inches) these ones were the trophies of the day lol

GetyourboneApril 25th, 2008, 4:46 pm
Baldwin, WI

That looks like a beautiful little stream. No covered bridges on the streams I fish here in Wisconsin.

High, fast, and Muddy here so the fishing is not so great. Looks like a couple more days of rain so it may be a while before its any good. The hatch(BWO's?) that was happening today would have made for a fun day if the water had been better. I spent most of the time on the river just watching the insects and birds.

LittleJApril 25th, 2008, 7:55 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

looks like you had a good time on spring I have to get back up there soon.

Any day spent on high muddy water is still better than a day spent in Ohio. (If we have an Ohio contigent here please feel free to P.M. and I will stop my relentless attacks...no hard feelings)
Aaron7_8April 27th, 2008, 7:33 am
Helena Montana

Hello everyone;
Just spent yesterday driving to some new water on the Clark Fork river in MT. I found that it was not the day to go downstream as the recent snow melt had turned the normal light green water into something that resembled a cup of espresso with about a foot of visibility. However, it was just too nice of a day to sit at home. So my wife and I hit the water with little success save for a few nice twigs and a couple of submeged logs. The whole trip every place we stopped there were caddis coming off in fishable numbers and quite a few skwala nymphs clinging to everything (and here is the but) nothing rising and no lined tigtened. I figured that I just missed a great skwala hatch and that the caddis just threw me off what was really going on. That is fishing, we will dilligently pursue the trout of on our nearby streams. Tomorrow is another day.
The landscape on the other hand did not disspoint with snow still clinging to the mountain tops all around, and the western meadolarks and robins singing for us it did make the day pleasant. Even saw a bald eagle so all in all a good day spet in the outdoors made humbling by the trout all ready full bellies.
McjamesApril 28th, 2008, 7:42 am
Cortland Manor, NY

I have enjoyed a wonderful blue quill/adoptiva hatch here in n. westchester, new york over the past ten days or so on a number of streams in the croton river watershed. probably will be replaced by subvaria pretty soon. pics from another post

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/1347#8849
I am haunted by waters

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.