Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Suspicious private messages from Africa offering riches...

TroutnutApril 24th, 2008, 9:15 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Taxon just sent me this private message he received from some new user on this site, which echoes a familiar old email spam scam:

Juliag2006
From Julia George
west africa Cote d' Ivoire
Dearest one

I have a proposal for you-this however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honour against your will. I am Julia George, 24years old and the only daughter of my late parents Mr.and Mrs George Athony My father was a highly reputable busnness magnet-(a cocoa merchant) who operated in the capital of Ivory coast during his days. It is sad to say that he passed away mysteriously in France during one of his business trips abroad year 12th.Febuary 2002.Though his sudden death was linked or rather suspected to have been masterminded by an uncle of his who travelled with him at that time. But God knows the truth!

My mother died when I was just 4 years old,and since then my father took me so special. Before his death on Febuary 12 2002 he called the secretary who accompanied him to the hospital and told him that he had a sum of 7.500,000 US DOLLARS (seven. five) MILLION USA DOLLARS)kept in a security company in (AFRICA).

He also said that the security company does not know the content of the safe Box.He decleared it as family treasure and used my name to Deposit the Box as his first daugther for next of kin. He also explained to him that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business assocaites, That I should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where I will transfer this money to and use it for investment purposes. I want you to assist me in clearing this box from the security company and then transfering the fund inside the box into your account overseas as a beneficiary of the fund, and also use it for an investment purpose.

I am just 24years old and a university undergraduate and really I don't know what to do. Now I want an account overseas where I can transfer this funds. This is because I have suffered a lot of set backs as a result of incessant political crisis here in Ivory coast.The death of my father actually brought sorrow to my life.
Dearest one,I am in a sincere desire of your humble assistance in this regards Your suggestions and ideas will be highly regarded.

What percentage of the total amount in question will be good for you after the money is in your account?

Please,Consider this and get back to me as soon as possible
Reply to my privat email at (julia_go2006@yahoo.com)
Thank you so much.

My sincere regards,
Julia George

That's the first I've heard of the so-called "Nigerian scammers" invading a custom-built forum. Sneaky bastards! Please let me know if you receive any messages like this, so I can ban the people responsible before they pester more forum members.

(One small irony for those familiar with the terminology: These people are phishing on a fishing site. Heh-heh.)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CaseyPApril 24th, 2008, 10:37 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

oh, darn it!! and here i thought i'd found the answer to all my dreams of having one of everything in the fly fishing catalogs!

yep, me too, Jason. want to bet we ALL got one? let me know when it's safe to delete it.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
TroutnutApril 24th, 2008, 11:34 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I know I didn't get one yet... I don't know how many people, other than Taxon, did. If you get one, it's safe to delete it whenever you want... just please send me the username of the offender.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfApril 25th, 2008, 9:01 pm
Palmyra PA

Got one, but already deleted it, after sending a recommendation that they attend Florida University (F.U. for short.)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchApril 26th, 2008, 12:02 am
York & Starlight PA

Yup, I got one too.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Stone8034June 5th, 2009, 1:02 pm
Posts: 1i received one from a "julia george" from two websites julia_g4real2000@yahoo.com and georgejulia11@yahoo.com. they couldn't fool me and i want them caught. I will go to extreme measures to help and would like to know if they can affect me knowing only my email and name. please respond at whitesidestone@gmail.com

Thank you
WiflyfisherJune 5th, 2009, 3:01 pm
Wisconsin

I think the spammer was pretty smart and only targeted those Eastern Dun Shucked FF dudes. :)
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
MartinlfJune 10th, 2009, 7:13 pm
Palmyra PA

Hey John, I have a bridge in New York to sell ya!

--Fred Chappell
FalsiflyJune 12th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Hayward, WI.

Sorry it’s taken this long to respond to Jason’s first post, but I felt compelled not to comment until all the legal details were worked out. Approximately two years ago I got Julia George’s original E-mail, which, as you all know now, has become a scam. Anyway, I contacted Julia and we have since become quite close friends. She will be moving here to the States by years end. Now that all the details have been finalized I feel that it is time to share, with my Troutnut friends, some rather happy news. Although, when compared to 7.5 Mil, it isn’t much, but my bank contacted me to say that the wire transfer has been completed. I now have a TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR deposit in my savings account. I will definitely be spending more time on the water. Oh, and by the way, it’s been said that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is, well, I take a different view now!
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
FalsiflyJune 13th, 2009, 2:19 pm
Hayward, WI.

Well, now I’ve gone and done it. As my mail box continues to fill with concerned members of this site, warning me of the pitfall I may have entered into, I want to thank you all for your concern. However, rest assured that all was in jest. I wrongly assumed that all would recognize the joking side of Falsifly as being, just that. Again, I want to apologize for my misleading post, and I sincerely appreciate your concern. I will try to refrain from crying “wolf” in the future, in an attempt to maintain some semblance of credibility. But, with Jack’s ever presence, that may be difficult to maintain, so don’t bet on it.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GONZOJune 13th, 2009, 2:41 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I suspected that your friend Jack played a role in that satirical post, Allan, but I was also tempted to suggest that Louis might have found a taker for the bridge he's been trying to unload. :)
TaxonJune 13th, 2009, 3:08 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Alan,

Well, I was certainly taken in by your satirical post, but at least you now know I can be relied on for counsel and guidance in case Jack should begin to dominate you life.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
MartinlfJune 13th, 2009, 6:12 pm
Palmyra PA

Darn, there goes my pitch to Falsifly for the bridge.

Oh well, I'm working on one targeting fly fishermen everywhere promising a fly "that never fails to hook a big one." Only 4 bucks per item. I figure if I can sent out 1 million emails, I'll be rich in no time.

Anyone on this site who is interested, I'm offering a special of only 3 dollars per fly.

How about it, Falsifly? Wouldn't you like one of my false flies? Or a dozen for an even 35.00? You may want to consult Jack concerning this deal. :)

--Fred Chappell
FalsiflyJune 13th, 2009, 8:33 pm
Hayward, WI.

Yes Roger, you were right! I have come to despise the day Julia George entered my life. Now Louis is offering me flies at a discount. Surely, this will result in my financial demise.
Falsifly

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.