Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fishing nymphs, then emergers, then low duns, then high duns, Page 2

MartinlfMay 23rd, 2007, 5:47 am
Palmyra PA

The trick to using CDC is to get some Frog's Fanny. It restores the fly in seconds even when it's badly slimed. I still like CDC for my upside down caddis tie, and for the Little Lehigh fly shop olive emerger, but don't use it too much now for other flies, where snowshoe and synthetics have replaced it. Yes, it is a pain at times, but absolutely deadly in some situations where nothing else seems to work. Superstition? Who knows, but I still tie with CDC, at least for the time being.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZOMay 23rd, 2007, 11:22 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I thought we'd get a rise from my favorite duck-butt defender on this one. Don't mind my gripes about the stuff, Louis; I probably wouldn't be so vociferous if the material didn't seem so hyped. And don't even think about abandoning flies (or materials) that you and the trout like just because I've got a personal peeve about it. Take it with a grain of NaCl (for our chemist-in-residence, Shawn).

And Shawn, I'd love to know more about your classic Atlantic salmon fly tying. I don't tie these Victorian works of art myself, but I think they're fascinating. I have a large and beautiful Green Highlander--my favorite classic pattern--sitting on the desk as I write. Bill Hrinko traded that gorgeous fly for one of my patterns. (I think I got the better of that deal.)
Shawnny3May 23rd, 2007, 4:48 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Thanks for all the insights, guys. This thread has become a really good one, even if the title is starting to wane in significance. I guess Jason can try to figure out what to do with it.

Louis, thanks for adding another side to the discussion. How did you obtain your snowshoe? And do you use dyed or natural CDC? If both, do you find there's a significant difference?

Gonzo, you preempted my newest idea with your suggestion of Mucilin. As I was writing my last post, it dawned on me that the best air-trapping materials I've ever come in contact with are hydrophilic starch polymers. These polymers work counterintuitively: They are so water-loving that the moment they touch water they bind it so greedily that they prevent any more water from penetrating the clump they form. Anyone who has made gravy knows that you don't add dry flour directly to it for this very reason - it forms clumps that are nearly impossible to dissolve. So I was already thinking of trying some starchy things on my flies, but I guess I'm not the first to think of it, which isn't surprising. Thanks for validating the idea for me from your experience.

The salmon flies have been a curse to me ever since I started tying. I have taken the art to a rather ridiculous extreme, actually, that has been about 5 years in its development (I'm hopeful that others feel the fuss is justified, but that remains to be seen). Until the past few weeks, I hadn't tied any practical flies or been fishing for 8 months - the salmon flies have been completely consuming me. I'm getting really close, though, to unveiling my first flies to the public (I've been saying "just one more month" for the past 8 months), and I'll be eager to find out what you guys think when my site is up. I appreciate the interest, and I'll definitely let you know when it's ready.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Shawnny3May 23rd, 2007, 4:50 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Jason, another bumper-sticker you might consider marketing to flyfishermen: "Duck-butt Defender"

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
TroutnutMay 23rd, 2007, 5:28 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Or maybe "cul du car"
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfMay 23rd, 2007, 5:50 pm
Palmyra PA

Shawn, I get snowshoe where I can find it whenever I'm traveling. I believe I've ordered some also. The last feet I bought were found in West Yellowstone at Bob Jacklin's Fly shop. They were excellent, and you might check on the internet and order some feet from him. I liked him, and he seems like the kind of guy who will pick out what you want for you, if he has it in stock. I find no difference between natural and dyed fur, but prefer the softer, denser heel fur for emergers, at least, where a ball of a wing works fine. And I mostly use snowshoe for emergers. I believe it traps air better than the coarser fibers, but if you try snowshoe, see what you think. I prefer the natural white feet when I can get them, the whiter the better, but not for any difference in flotation. The white clump wing can be seen at dusk on the emerger, and gives me a few extra minutes of being visually in touch with my fly. Gonzo has noted to me that when one loses sight of the fly, it's time to tie on a wet, and my brother-in-law, a skilled wet fly fisherman proved that recently, cleaning up on the Little J just at dusk. Jason, if you're on, I'm still waiting to hear from Walt, but I should have enough info to PM you soon.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3May 23rd, 2007, 7:58 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Louis, thanks for the info.

Jason, ho-larious.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZOMay 23rd, 2007, 8:04 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Shawn--Boy, it does sound like you've been badly bitten by the AS fly bug! I'm very eager to see the results of your labors.

Jason--Per your "cul du car" bumpersticker: It would also help French tourists to be reassured that it is the rear of a car they are facing rather than the front as they adjust to driving in the US. ;)
MartinlfFebruary 18th, 2015, 12:07 pm
Palmyra PA

Bumped up.

--Fred Chappell
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.