Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > A Fisherman near Wolfeboro, NH needs help...

ScareCrowApril 9th, 2008, 4:30 pm
Wolfeboro, NH

Hello All;

So I am kind of new to this fly fishing thing. Started in late June of 2007 in the Catskill Mountains of NY (esopus creek mainly) and have recently moved to Wolfeboro, NH. Anyone know of any good streams near this area? Also, I have never fly fished in April, what should my aresenal consist of? I only have adult Mayflies, blue winged olives, some caddisflys, and some imitation ants. Do the types of flies change from area to area, or am I going to see the same insects I have seen in NY? Sorry to bombard all of you with questions, but I just need some help to get me started on a good season. Thanks!

-Evan

-=Scarecrow=-
GONZOApril 9th, 2008, 5:36 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Evan,

The early stoneflies (the little black and brown ones), the early season mayflies (sometimes collectively known as the "April grays"--little blue-winged olives, blue quills, quill Gordons, and Hendricksons), and early caddisflies (like the grannoms) are common to much of the East and follow in roughly that order as April proceeds into May. Those hatches can start later in NH than in the Catskills, but that also depends on altitude and other factors.

I hope that helps, but don't neglect some basic all-round "go-to" patterns for times when hatches don't much matter. And welcome to the site and the sport!
WbranchApril 9th, 2008, 8:16 pm
York & Starlight PA

Many of the rivers and streams in New Hampshire that are north of Conway have very few aquatic insects and are for the most part quite sterile. That being said that is one of the reasons that most of those pretty mountain streams have so little wild trout and almost all the fish have to be planted.

I have fished the Swift River which flows West to East ending in Conway where it joins the Saco River. The Swift is a very pretty stream with lots of stocked rainbows. Another pretty little creek is the Ellis River which flows North to South. You can start at the Covered Bridge in Jackson and work your way downstream from there. There are lots of very pretty stocked brookies. Since the insect life is nominal the trout are very opportunistic and you can pretty much throw any attractor dry and expect to get a rise. Any nymph will work as will smaller streamers #8 - #10.

Another creek I used to fish when I was a kid is the Peabody River. This stream flows out of a ravine near Mt. Washington and flows north to Gorham where it joins the Androscoggin. The Andro is a fine river starting up in Errol and flowing south through NH and then heading East at Shelburne, NH and flowing into Maine.

The Andro is big water and has wild landlocked salmon up in Errol and good browns and rainbows down through the Thirteen Mile Woods, Milan, and again in Gorham.

There is a fly shop in NH that has a good forum. I think if you google Clearwater Fly Shop New Hampshire you should be able to get the site. If not PM me and I'll get it to you.

Ellis River

Pretty brookie

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
ScareCrowApril 10th, 2008, 7:03 am
Wolfeboro, NH

PA Fisherman;

Thanks guys! You've been a big help. I've been to the White Mountains and Conway, and visited the Clearwater flyshop last year. He's a nice guy and gave me some flies he liked to use on the Esopus Creek (since i didn't have a NH fishing license at the time). I think that the Ellis river is about 45 min. away so i can do that drive every once in awhile, but its good to hear the fish are easier to catch. Oddly enough I hold a fishing license in NH and NY so I'll probably be traveling back to the Catskills at some point. Thanks again!
-=Scarecrow=-
GONZOApril 10th, 2008, 10:03 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Hey, Evan...speaking of the Esopus (an old favorite of mine), I drove by it about a week ago on my way to and from Bellayre Mtn. It was really nice to see it flowing clear enough to see the bottom in the shallows. It looked great from the road. I realize that the Portal probably wasn't flowing at that time, but how were the conditions last year? Has some of the accumulated silt been flushed from the bottom?
WbranchApril 10th, 2008, 5:38 pm
York & Starlight PA

Scarecrow,

If you are coming down to the Catskills in May or up to June 07 PM me in advance and maybe we can fish together. I have a place on the WB and fish Tuesady - Thursday. I'll be in MT 13 June through 28 June and then start going back to the Delaware every other week through October.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SmallstreamApril 10th, 2008, 7:56 pm
State College, PA

I hear that the upper ct river is pretty good where it comes out of the ct lakes. Also your right near Maine, that in itself should provide some good trout fishing (brookie ponds).
Flyfisher06April 12th, 2008, 9:18 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Hey Bear swamp,I drove down to the esopus about 3 or 4 times last year and caught fish pretty good each time not many of size afew around 14or15 but I also caught some rainbows that were (Iam assuming tosmall to be stockies) also they looked pretty clean .Any way each time I was down the water was very clear I wish I could get down there more and also to the other catskill streams but its too far a drive to go often I live way up north here by the Battenkill.I do want to get down there this week I am off from work so could you please keep me posted on conditions . thanx Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
ScareCrowApril 14th, 2008, 12:01 pm
Wolfeboro, NH

Bear Swamp;

Depends on where you were looking at the esopus. Last year near the old railroad bridge by rt. 28 was really good. Some very large Rainbows were pulled out right by the bridge, myself only had some small browns but my girlfriend caught a nice sized brown right in the shallows with a rooster tail... i was impressed. As far as silt goes the water was clear to the bottom and i didn't really see to much accumulation of silt at all.
-=Scarecrow=-
Flyfisher06April 14th, 2008, 5:46 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Hey Scarecrow the old railroad bridge that you were talking about is that before or after ethe rest stop parking area .I ussually park there walk about a half mile to a mile upstream than wade as I fish and end up about a mile downstream of the parking area . Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
ScareCrowApril 14th, 2008, 6:53 pm
Wolfeboro, NH

Fly Fisher06;

If you are near the center of Boiceville, NY there will be a high school called onteora high school. If you are driving north on 28, there will be a road right before it on the left called 28a. Heading south it'll be right after the school on the right. You'll drive over the esopus and less than a half-mile down the road you'll see a pull off area with an entry gate on your left. Park and walk down the trail and you'll see the railroad tracks. I hope thats good enough. I don't remember a rest area on route 28. The esopus is a very long creek though, so theres probably plenty of entry points and good spots. I know the spot I am talking about requires an ashokan reservoir pass. So be prepared with it. Better yet go on Mapquest.com and look up boiceville NY and you'll see the intersection I am talking about.

Just for the record its not a secret spot. And I feel that good fishing spots should be shared and not hidden. Just give everyone else a shot at getting the good stuff.

-Evan
-=Scarecrow=-
Flyfisher06April 15th, 2008, 5:25 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

I agree with you Bear swamp I am willing to help anyone out and give some pointers if I found something to be working . Now if I get the idea someone is going to disrespect the water or the land I will not help them I started a post last week that deals with that exact point it is called season opener read it when you get a chance. By the way is that northern NH or southern I am pretty close to some of the southern part of the state maybe if you are going to the Catskills some weekend we could meet up and share the ride . Todd
ScareCrowApril 21st, 2008, 12:50 pm
Wolfeboro, NH

todd;

I frequently travel between Wolfeboro and Durham NH. so i go between the middle and lower east side of the state. It would be nice to share a ride. Not exactly sure when i'll get to go back to NY again. Right now salmon fishing has opened in my town so i bought some streamers to get me started... it was a little crowded today so I hope to get some time in soon.
-=Scarecrow=-
Flyfisher06April 21st, 2008, 4:49 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Well Scarecrow I chk posts on here quite often dont care much for tv unless bird huntinf or flyfishing shows are on so if you know about a week ahead pm me and we will try to make plans I only have weekends off though but let me know and well give it a try.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.