Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hi All, new to the forum

KroilFebruary 24th, 2008, 3:32 pm
Coastal NJ

I am seeking advice for a relatively compact digital camera that is waterproof, rugged, easy to use, good/ecellent micro and macro resolution and lightweight without bulk. I will carry this worldwide, it will get wet, frozen, baked, covered in dog slobber and fish slime etc. and need support/warrantee as well as backup batteries.

Great site and AWESOME bug pics by the way.

I think that Bridge goes over Rt. 17, right?

Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

Dave

Ps. heres a few pics from the East branch, eating Beatis duns...

this one was munching on Chimarra..

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

KroilFebruary 24th, 2008, 3:40 pm
Coastal NJ

See how photo challenged I am, Please help me.
When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

TaxonFebruary 24th, 2008, 4:33 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Dave-

All you need to do is edit your above post so that the IMG and /IMG tags are in lower case, that is, img and /img .
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TroutnutFebruary 24th, 2008, 10:49 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I fixed it for you. :) Taxon was right, the tags have to be lower-case. Oops. I programmed this forum from scratch so there are a few things that could use some improvement, and unfortunately I've been too busy.

Welcome to the site, though. Nice pictures!

You're right that one of the popular pics on this site is the Thruway bridge by Rt. 17 in East Branch.

Here are your options for a totally waterproof camera:

Pentax Optio W30

Olympus Stylus 790SW

Both can actually take underwater pictures. I use an earlier model in that Pentax line when I'm out fishing and don't want to carry my fancy DSLR. It's survived taking hundreds of underwater pics and being dropped on more than a few rocks. I can't guarantee it would survive 45 minutes in an oven, but other than that it's pretty durable.

The Olympus waterproof line wasn't out yet when I got mine, so I haven't really looked into it hard to figure out which of the two is better. I'm guessing they're both about equally good. I do have some complaints about graininess in low light with my Pentax, but most compact digicams have that issue to some extent.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
KroilFebruary 25th, 2008, 8:22 am
Coastal NJ

Thanks for the camera info, any thoughts on the Olympus 770?

TroutnutFebruary 25th, 2008, 10:09 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

The 790 is the successor to the 770. Oddly, it seems quite a bit cheaper. Here's a side-by-side comparision of the 770 and the 790 on features. I don't see a lot of differences.

Here's a somewhat negative review for both Olympus cameras. I have a feeling their complaints would apply to the Pentax waterproof cameras, too. I think they're exaggerating the down side, and ignoring how great these durable cameras are for fishing.

Here's a more positive review suggesting that the 790 brings some image quality improvements along with the lower price tag.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfFebruary 25th, 2008, 12:02 pm
Palmyra PA

Nice fish. Glad you got the links to work.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchMarch 13th, 2008, 6:08 am
York & Starlight PA

Great looking fish! Seeing the rainbow I'm assuming you are fishing below the junction of the upper EB and the Beaverkill?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.