Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Streamside Manners???, Page 2

LenHFebruary 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
driftless area

was only butted in on once...

We hit the water at first light opening day 2006.

Was a serious snow storm. I drove my 4 wheel drive mountaineer slow and careful. Got there at 10 minutes before light. Walked out to the stream....My buddy thought I was crazy but came along anyway.

The morning was excellent....the sun got up and then the browns started bitting too. It was noon....we decided to keep on going....

We saw a vehicle stop and watch us for a while. Three guys got out and strung up their rods....and took a intercept course to us.

Thought it must been one of my buds.

it wasn't. They got ahead of us by 20 yards and started. Their backcasts were hitting us.

I walked by them and looked them. I didn't say a word. They exclaimed as we walked by them...you have been fishing this stream ALL morning. We are taking it from you. You have had it for 5 hours now its our turn. We didn't drive all the way from Milwaukee to watch you fish.

We leapfrogged them by 200 yards and started fishing again.

idiots come with all sorts of rods in their hands.
Shawnny3February 8th, 2008, 3:07 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

...especially if delivered by a patient man.

You make it sound almost poetic, Louis - I'd love to see what you mean sometime. I'll tell you what - next time we go fishing up in Barree I'll see if I can pick a fight with one of Donny B's henchmen for you. Then I'll just sit back and enjoy...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfFebruary 8th, 2008, 7:54 pm
Palmyra PA

Shawn, thanks for the (certainly misplaced) vote of confidence in my martial potential, but what in my behavior could possibly have caused you to mistake me for a patient man?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3February 9th, 2008, 6:51 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

what in my behavior could possibly have caused you to mistake me for a patient man?

Maybe it's your affinity for poetry. And you don't alter your uncommonly smooth vocal inflection when you curse. The only people I know like that are either patient or serial killers, usually both.

I'll need you to answer one clarifying question, Louis: Have you ever stuffed the occasional offending fisherman into your creel?

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfFebruary 9th, 2008, 8:11 am
Palmyra PA

No, but let's not discuss why the corn grows taller in that one field down by the J.

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123February 9th, 2008, 6:09 pm
Oscoda, MI

Irish, some folks just need a good thumping. Then again, erratic casting with a heavily weighted streamer, with an (un)intentional shot to the head/upper torso region of the offending angler, will hurt pretty bad, send them to the hospital (and off the stream), and be an "accident" - to which you could say, "I told you that you were fishing too close to me!" Then let him try to pick a fight with YOU - and should you have to kick his ass then, well, it's all in self defense...

Just a suggestion.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Shawnny3February 10th, 2008, 5:10 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

I can tell that Jonathon would be a dirty fighter. I certainly don't hold him in contempt for that, but I do always strive to be the only dirty fighter in any fight I'm in. That said, I hope I only ever find myself fishing WITH Jonathon, Irish, and especially Louis (who I'm thinking of nicknaming "Mr. Brooks"), and never INTO them.

A frightening little group of troutnuts we have here...

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
SlateDrake9February 10th, 2008, 11:18 am
Potter County, PA

Even though I like this line of thinking, it seems that folks forget too easily how many folks out there are carrying guns on the stream and will not hesitate to use one on someone that is trying to beat them up.

Things just ain't like they use to be.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
MartinlfFebruary 10th, 2008, 11:32 am
Palmyra PA

Good point. There are some crazies out there.

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPFebruary 10th, 2008, 12:36 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

it seems that folks forget too easily how many folks out there are carrying guns on the stream--SlateDrake

in spite of horrific traffic and the macho ideal, there is almost no road rage in Mexico City because of the possibility that most of the drivers are armed. that is what we were told when we lived there, anyway. those who behave badly on the stream strike me as the dog-doo of life: really irritating and best scraped off and left behind.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
IrishanglerFebruary 11th, 2008, 7:45 pm
Posts: 12You PA boys are cracking me up! But have we hit upon something worthwhile? Breathable chest waders...with an interior holster! I'm liking this idea. LOL.
I truly appreciate your replies. Keep 'em coming.
SlateDrake9February 12th, 2008, 2:26 pm
Potter County, PA

That's what the handwarmer pocket is for. The fleece protects the pistol finish and it's easy access.
-- Slate Drake
Shawnny3February 13th, 2008, 5:49 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

So THAT's what that pocket is for! And to think that all this time I've been the only guy out there not packing heat... a scary thought.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
FalsiflyFebruary 13th, 2008, 10:30 am
Hayward, WI.

According to a resent United Press International release the state of Pennsylvania is experiencing an exponential increase in stream side altercations within the fly fishing community. As a result of increased fishing pressure many have been forced to encroach upon each other just to wet a fly. As tempers flair and threats of bodily harm increase many are arming themselves in self defense. According to Bob Lars, Vice President of US Sales for Smith & Wesson, the increase in handgun sales in the state of PA is unprecedented. Paul Westerman, Director of R&D for Smith & Wesson, states that the company is considering the manufacturing of a handgun designed exclusively for the trout fisherman complete with a special zinger for easy and quick access, should sales continue to grow. When PA law enforcement officials were asked to comment they said that they were aware of the problem and urged restraint lest things get out of hand. Law enforcement reiterated that to their knowledge no incident involving firearms has occurred on a PA trout fishery yet.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
JADFebruary 13th, 2008, 10:41 am
Alexandria Pa

Hi guys
Ive read your posts,words have many different meanings.I'm afraid their will be much more of this in the future. Far to many people fishing to few spots. I look at it as a timing thing, wrong place wrong time. Fishing is pure pleasure, if something interferes with that pleasure that displeases me, since I only control my own actions. (So on So on)
Trout live in beautiful places,and talk about carrying guns fights is disappointing, at the end of the day I want smile on my face not a black eye.

PS Cabin fever has us all.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Shawnny3February 13th, 2008, 1:37 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

...handgun designed exclusively for the trout fisherman complete with a special zinger for easy and quick access.

I'd hate to mistake my handgun for my forceps while I was fumbling around with a fish at dusk. And I get enough holes in my waders without having a firearm dangling from my vest.

Good stuff, Falsifly.

-Shawn

P.S. And Jonathon, hopefully this stuff stays in the realm of good fun. But the warning to be careful when you confront people out there is one I will certainly take seriously.
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfFebruary 14th, 2008, 2:44 pm
Palmyra PA

Let's just hope Falsifly doesn't invite Jack out for any blast and cast excursions! Or that he does--it'll make a great tale.

John, I think much of these recent posts are purely in fun. I certainly don't expect to be packing heat anytime soon, and I admired Irish's restraint as much as anything. He had good cause to do more than warn that jerk.

But your cautions are well stated, and in many cases it is best, and possibly as satisfying, to think to yourself, "I'm just glad I'm not you," and peacefully enjoy the walk to an even better spot.

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123February 17th, 2008, 10:17 am
Oscoda, MI

GEEZ, guys, now we're packin' HEAT!!! (I sure hope that Smith & Wesson is STAINLESS!) You know, the only gun advertisement I think I've ever seen in a fishing magazine is the one for the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, a snub-nosed big-bore (the "weakest" chambering is the .44 Magnum!). And it's meant for BEARS.

I tell you, I have been shoulder-to-shoulder with Michigan salmon fisherman, slinging hardware myself, with nothing but friendliness all the way around. Lines cross? "Hold on, I gotcha! OK, you're free!" Fish hooked? "Fish on!" "Need a net?" On trout streams? It's practically a gentlemen's club, no matter who meets who from whatever background. My "backyard", on the Huron River? Same thing! Two guys were coming downstream, and when I told them I was just about to fish the stretch immediately below me, they walked to the bank and took a trail further downstream, no objections whatsoever. And maybe once in my life have I ever received disdain from a spinner or bait fisherman. In fact, I have outfished worm dunkers and hardware slingers on fly gear and received nothing but questions and admiration. "Wow, what are you using? Can I see?" Hey, FLY FISHING is FUN!!!

Maybe it's just less crowded here in Michigan, or people are friendlier. Many trout fisherman are outdoorsmen (and outdoorswomen) in general and also hunt and own firearms. However, I doubt many are carrying them on-stream except as a defense against overly agressive black bears (remember, you DON'T play dead with them, you put up a FIGHT or they'll EAT you). Or maybe moose and/or wolves in the U.P.!

Come here and fish folks! We got variety and abundance, and somewhere around 36,000 miles (!!!) of trout water. Big water? Try the AuSable, Muskegon, Manistee, Pier Marquette, etc. Little water? Good GOD, man, get out your map!! You are never more than 2.5 miles from a body of water that contains game fish no matter where you are in the state! Things might get a little crowded during salmon & steelhead runs, but generally the camaraderie is fully maintained. The rest of the time? Geez, I had the Rifle River (West Branch area) to myself about 95% of the time, May through September! (EXCELLENT hatches, I might add...write for details!) Same with the Huron in my backyard, about 5 minutes from downtown Ann Arbor and U of Michigan campus (ALSO excellent hatches). I have fished so many different kinds of water for many different species and practically NEVER have any conflicts over fishing space. I certainly found the same to be true in central Texas as well - uncrowded and friendly, plus plenty of bikini watching thrown in for good measure!

It sure sucks when your favorite fishing spot, or nearest waters, get crowded to the point of setting off conflicts. This is especially true if it's a "cross-cultural" conflict between fly fishers and users of other methods (which we have ALL used at one time or another, myself certainly included). All I'm saying is, it has almost never happened to me and especially not here in Michigan. Hey, we're just about to start a new season, so come on up!

NO, I am most certainly NOT in the employ of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce. (Wish I was, I'd probably be making more money than the "Unenjoyment" checks I'm getting right now...my job is promising to start back up any week now.)

Tight lines and START TYING,

Jonathon

P.S. "Say yah to da Ooh Pee, eh?"

P.P.S. I believe that a 4" Smith & Wesson .44 Mag should be sufficient to defend one's self against aggressive wildlife in Michigan. Just make sure you know how to shoot well with it before you have to stick it in the face of that angry moose, or hungry black bear smelling that basket full of nice fat brownies bobbing at your side...It will also scare the guy who's only packing a snub-nosed .38...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123February 17th, 2008, 10:27 am
Oscoda, MI

Oh, and regarding that heavily weighted streamer, I would recommend a tungsten conehead, something on the order of a size 2 so that you can still cast it - like a bullet!

It is certainly a legitimate hazard if you are standing too close to a flycaster!!! I should know - I hooked a teenager last summer when he foolishly walked behind me. Mothers are inevitably concerned when their young children wander too close to see what's going on and ask questions. Any moron on the stream who gets too close to a(nother) fly fisher is endangering themselves and is, well, a moron. You don't stand right behind a guy about to sling a 3/4 oz. spoon with a big treble dangling from it, do you? Or cross his line intentionally? That's beside the simple courtesy...

And who wants guys like that on the stream ANYWAY? Do you suppose they treat their fellow spinner fishermen with any more courtesy and respect?

With some rightiousness, and WATCH OUT,

Jonathon
SlateDrake9February 17th, 2008, 12:06 pm
Potter County, PA

JMD,

Sounds like Michigan is the place to be until all of the Pennsylvania and New York folks show up to ruin it. :-)

I think you hit the nail right on the head with the different cultures idea. The different cultures we have over this way seem to be the catalyst for many of the problems. This idea is why I talk about "local" etiquette on streams. I think a lot of our problems in my neck of the woods are only evident during times when we have a mix of cultures on the streams, typically weekends and holidays, when folks come to the area from all over and bring their "culture" here. I'm not getting into local vs. outsider or anything else like that. My thought is that if a group of folks from a similar area are all fishing a stretch of water, there probably won't be any issues becuause they all "understand" things about the same way. But, put a mix of folks from the "mountains" and the "cities" or where ever (these are just easy labels to use)and let them all go about thing like they would at "home" and then you will see your issues.

Someone who comes from a location where their local etiquette is you don't fish within sight of another fisherman will probably do things differently than the person who comes from a location where standing shoulder to shoulder with someone is a daily practice on their waters.

The golden standard for me is to ask before acting and that seems to keep conflicts down. Most folks, including me, will move over to let someone who asks to fish, fish. It's always appreciated and usually starts some nice conversations on the stream.

But if not, there's always the .44 in the handwarmer pocket, right??? ;-)
-- Slate Drake
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.