Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Overton's Wonder Wax or sub?, Page 2

Wonder_WaxSeptember 18th, 2016, 11:58 pm
Posts: 1Wonder Wax is back in production. Glen Overton has graciously allowed us to start up production. He has overseen the startup and production of his product line. No he is not dead. Thankfully he is alive and well and able to guide us through the setup and production. We are offering wonder wax for sale at https://blacktail-tackle.myshopify.com/products/overtons-wonder-wax Please go to our store to stock up on the best dubbing wax ever made. Coming soon we will be producing Glen's other products. Such as his fly line cleaner and conditioner, plus the best fly floatant ever developed.

Buy it at: https://blacktail-tackle.myshopify.com/products/overtons-wonder-wax
TroutguideOctober 28th, 2016, 2:12 am
Redding

I've just ordered some of the "new" overton's wonder wax. My ex had mine in her basement and after a very messy divorce she never let me have my years of colllecting fly tying materials. Well, just over a week ago her house burned to the ground along with all my stuff including my Wonder Wax!
The new stuff is very expensive at $19.95 a tube and shipping is $8!!!!
As soOn as it gets here I'll let you all know if it's the same.
WbranchOctober 28th, 2016, 5:00 pm
York & Starlight PA

The new stuff is very expensive at $19.95 a tube and shipping is $8!!!!

No fly tying wax is worth $27.95, or $18.95 assuming you can find it someplace locally.

I've been using a screw up tube of Gerke's wax for 20 years and still have enough for my lifetime. Probably cost no more than $6.00. Actually I don't use that much wax tying flies. If I want a very buggy body I make a dubbing loop and insert the dubbing into the loop. Less buggy nymph or dry fly bodies I just roll the material between my thumb and index finger and make a dubbing noodle. About the only time I use wax is when I tie up a bunch of La Fontaine Emergent Pupa.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RleePOctober 29th, 2016, 10:41 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Well, $18.95 may seem steep, but if you believe a good dubbing wax is an important part of your tying supplies, there was no better wax IMO than the original Overton's and even at the new, jacked up price, it is still a bargain. If you get 1000 flies out of a tube, that's still less than 2 cents worth of wax each at $18.95.

I mean, its all subjective and dependent on what we tie and what habits/techniques we have come to favor. Personally, if someone were to ask me my view, I'd say save the money you put into high end bobbins, whip finishers and especially hair stackers and invest it in Overton's Wonder Wax....:)

But that's just me..
WbranchOctober 30th, 2016, 12:50 pm
York & Starlight PA

But that's just me..

Yep
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TroutguideOctober 31st, 2016, 10:59 pm
Redding

I received my new Overton's Wonder Wax and yep, it the same as it ever was. Perfect for touch dubbing and noodle dubbing. Expensive? Yes, but a single tube, it's very large, will last the average fly tyer for ever.
Barry
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.