Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Swap

LittleJJanuary 5th, 2008, 6:54 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

Since my wife had our baby on fri. it seems that i'll be doing more tying than fishing the next few months, so I was wondering if any of you would be interested in a fly swap. I was thinking maybe mayfly nymphs? I have an isonychia pattern that works well i'd like to do. If any of you would like to do something else that's fine too. It's seems as though we have some good tyers in the group and i'd like to see some of your patterns.

Jeff

CaseyPJanuary 5th, 2008, 7:30 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

Congratulations! hope everyone is well. yep, modern fathers sure stick closer to home, God bless 'em. a swap is a really nifty idea--dunno as we've had one here.

put me down for a wet fly which i am reliably informed will be very effective for the Little J sulphurs. can't think of its name just now...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
JOHNWJanuary 5th, 2008, 7:32 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Jeff,
Congratulations on the new baby. I assume everyone is doing well.
Is this your first?

I'd definatly be interested although I have to admit my mayfly nymphs tend to be pretty limited and lean to the generic side.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
MartinlfJanuary 5th, 2008, 11:20 pm
Palmyra PA

I could provide some drys or emergers that might be more off the beaten path for some, at least. I have a mean Trico and a good little caddis, along with a baetis emerger that works well. I could also do some of Gonzo's poly case nymphs, but they're pretty standard except for bending the hook. Anyway, I'm in. Let me know what you prefer. I'm pretty busy now, so it may take a little while to get tying time in, but it'll get done.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LittleJJanuary 6th, 2008, 6:41 am
Hollidaysburg Pa

Thank you, it is my second i have a 2 yr old as well.

I suppose we don't need a theme. Just pick a pattern you'd like to contribute. i will still do the iso nymph.
jeff
MartinlfJanuary 7th, 2008, 5:39 am
Palmyra PA

Jeff, that sounds good. I'll probably do the Trico or Baetis. How do you propose we proceed from here?

--Fred Chappell
LittleJJanuary 7th, 2008, 5:26 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

Will two weeks be enough time? I would set the "mail by" for fri. the 18th. I will P.M. everyone my address and you can send your flies to me. I will sort them out and send back the swap flies. Send your flies in something that you would like the new flys sent back in. since we only have the four of us I was just going to tie up 1/2 dozen and send everyone two. If that's not enough time let me know.
jeff

P.S. If any one else would like to contribute speak up.
MartinlfJanuary 8th, 2008, 10:10 am
Palmyra PA

That works for me. My committee business has moved along quickly (as chair, I can push pretty hard to stay on task) so I'm sure i'll have time.

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPJanuary 10th, 2008, 7:31 am

oh, gosh--go out of town and everything proceeds apace! the 18th will be rather soon for me, but keep the deadline and i'll make it as best i can. OOT for a week and then have to finish some Golden Witches i promised to another group. thanks for not picking something that needed jungle cock!
MartinlfJanuary 10th, 2008, 1:26 pm
Palmyra PA

OK, I spoke too soon. With the semester beginning it's gotten crazy again, plus we have a major birthday party for my youngest this weekend, and I haven't even gotten the cake yet. I may plead for the 21st as the day I mail mine off. This shouldn't put too many kinks in the plan, though, right? It'll give me another weekend.

--Fred Chappell
LittleJJanuary 10th, 2008, 3:06 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

louis/casey,

I'm fine w/ that date, the bottom line is getting at the tying bench and enjoying it, not sitting down stressed because you have to whip out 1/2 dozen in two hrs. I tied mine last night anyway so when ever you guys are ready.
Jeff
JOHNWJanuary 10th, 2008, 3:21 pm
Chambersburg, PA

With a funeral to attend the beginning of next week and some other commitments this weekend it will be a little tricky but I'll do what I can.

At the moment Im thinking a cut wing parachute of some sort. However I am also considering a woven Czech style nymph.

JW
MartinlfJanuary 11th, 2008, 5:22 am
Palmyra PA

JW, sounds good. I like the idea of the cut wing fly, but the woven fly sounds interesting. I'm going to include sheets of directions for whatever I tie.

Jeff, my girls are in middle and high school now, but I remember well many good times tying in one room with a baby sleeping in the next one. Congratulations on the new addition. I'm sure JW can relate too.

--Fred Chappell
LittleJJanuary 11th, 2008, 5:48 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

John no rush... I like the czech nymph idea. I'm still throwing some ideas around myself, I have the iso's tied incase I can't decide on something else.
jeff
MartinlfJanuary 12th, 2008, 9:59 pm
Palmyra PA

Jeff, got in some time and I'm almost done. Think I'll send you a dozen, since I'm sending Tricos and there's not much to them. :) Everyone can have 4 then. I'll send some postage too, so you don't get stuck with all of it.

--Fred Chappell
JOHNWJanuary 13th, 2008, 2:17 pm
Chambersburg, PA

OK so the cut wings went much more quickly than I expected. They arent anything spectacular however I think you gentlemen will find them pretty effective for those slackwater sulphur slurpers.

If time permits I may still sneak in some of the woven nymphs, but only time can tell on that count.

JW
CaseyPJanuary 15th, 2008, 4:50 pm

are there just four of us in on this? i'm making little sets of Hare Lug and Plover wet flies, 12, 14, &16, since once you get going, they take no time to tie. if the sulphurs in your neck of the woods have an orange cast as they hatch, you're set. if not, well, maybe you'll travel to the Little Juniata. this week turned out to have a couple of extra days in it so they'll be in the mail by Friday, God willing and the creek don't rise any higher.
JOHNWJanuary 15th, 2008, 5:02 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Casey,
At last count it was just four.
You selection of wets should aid my goal of becoming more proficient at some of the "old ways".

JW
LittleJJanuary 15th, 2008, 8:05 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

yep just 4.....John's woven czech nymph got me thinking and i think i'll throw in a woven of my own, i call it a green rock worm but in reality it should prob. just be thrown in the mix as a czech nymph. I fish it czech 90% of the time. But it catches fish regardless of classification.
jeff
MartinlfJanuary 16th, 2008, 1:47 pm
Palmyra PA

OK, John asked me about my upside down caddis a while back, so not to be outdone I'll throw in one of those for everyone (i.e. I'll call you a stonefly and raise you three comparaduns, etc.) Flies will go in the mail no later than next Monday. :)

--Fred Chappell
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.