Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Swap, Page 2

CaseyPJanuary 16th, 2008, 2:24 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

John, you can fish those wets just like any other unweighted nymph, too. hey, this is turning in to a real potlatch! really, the nicest people are found on Troutnut. guess we're all "a little bit crazy"!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
LittleJJanuary 16th, 2008, 2:56 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

louis,
in the crazy days of my youth, before 2 young kids, (aprox. 11 days ago), i would have called those three comparaduns and raised you four crazy charlies. But now that i'm older and wiser i realize i just got to see the flop and hope for the best or I won't get my own boxes filled.
jeff
MartinlfJanuary 17th, 2008, 5:00 am
Palmyra PA

Hey, Jeff, you're doing the heavy lifting sorting all this out for us. So you're ahead of the game, not in the middle, much less behind. Is that new arrival sleeping through the night yet?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPJanuary 17th, 2008, 3:03 pm

flies in the mail this am. if the snow doesn't slow them down, look for them Sat or Mon. look for me on the ski slope!! thanks for setting this swap up--i have been dying to ask Louis for one of his flies ever since he posted that recipe last year--i can't tie flies or cook without pictures!
CaseyPJanuary 17th, 2008, 3:04 pm

flies in the mail this am. if the snow doesn't slow them down, look for them Sat or Mon. look for me on the ski slope!! thanks for setting this swap up--i have been dying to ask Louis for one of his flies ever since he posted that recipe last year--i can't tie flies or cook without pictures!
Shawnny3January 17th, 2008, 3:05 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Is it too late to get in on this? At first I thought I wouldn't have the time, but then I realized I could whip up a bunch of my inchworm ties in no time at all. It sounds like you guys are contributing some really nice, practical flies. But if there aren't enough flies to get any to me, I'd like to send in mine just for you guys to have. Send me your address, Jeff, and I'll mail you a bunch.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
LittleJJanuary 19th, 2008, 8:02 am
Hollidaysburg Pa

caseyp - flies recieved
JOHNWJanuary 19th, 2008, 8:07 am
Chambersburg, PA

Guys I hope to have everything in the mail on Monday. Unfortunatly a 3 year old with a mild case of Pneumonia slows down one's tying speed dramatically.
Sorry for the tardiness.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Shawnny3January 20th, 2008, 5:33 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I whipped up a dozen chartreuse curly worms for you guys today - I'll mail them out tomorrow. I know they don't look like much, and they sure don't take long to tie, but they're one of my most effective summer flies and represent one of my best tying innovations - I hope you like them better than those damned green weenies. The best part is you can toss them right up into stream-side bushes without worrying about losing them. Use them aggressively in low water and see if you like them as much as I do.

Also, as I said before, please don't feel obligated to send me anything, Jeff. I'm just happy to donate a few of my flies to some really great guys I've met on this site - it's a pleasure knowing you gentlemen.

Take care, guys,
Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
JOHNWJanuary 21st, 2008, 10:17 am
Chambersburg, PA

Damn Iforgot today was a federal holiday, which means no postal service. In the mail tomorrow.

As a side note I was thinking of trying to photograph and post the flies from this swap. I just want to make sure that will be okay with all of you.
JW
Shawnny3January 21st, 2008, 11:23 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

I would appreciate it if you didn't post photos of mine, John. I really don't like sharing my patterns with people I don't know - I'm kind of a jerk that way.

Thanks,
Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
LittleJJanuary 21st, 2008, 1:22 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

i'm fine with posting photos of mine, i don't think it's an original pattern any way.
jeff
CaseyPJanuary 21st, 2008, 2:32 pm

okay to photo mine--its a standard pattern.

Shawn, did you get space at Somerset? dying to see your stuff in person, so to speak.
Shawnny3January 21st, 2008, 3:30 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I'm not sure yet. My last resort has still not gotten in touch with me. I'm assuming I did not get space unless I hear otherwise, but I'm preparing a few flies for the trip just in case. If I do get a table, I'll let you know where it is before I go. Either way, I'll come armed with hooks for people to see. The only day I will be there is Saturday. Hope to see you there, Casey.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
JOHNWJanuary 21st, 2008, 3:57 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Shawnny,
No problem. That is why I asked.

Neither of my ties are anything remotely ground breaking or for that fact even something that atleast 5 or 6, other much more famous tiers, haven't laid claim to. Just my humble iterpretation or adaptations.

JW
MartinlfJanuary 22nd, 2008, 9:05 am
Palmyra PA

JW, It's OK by me. Mine are in the mail.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3January 24th, 2008, 9:35 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I found out I have no space I can use (yet) at Somerset. I'm still going on Saturday, but I'll be just walking around without a place to show my flies. I'll still be bringing them, in case someone there is gracious enough to give me some space for the day, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd like to meet up with any of you who are there, but I don't really have a good way to do it (no cell). We'll see how it goes. If you see a guy with a goatee and glasses in a dark corner wearing a trenchcoat lined with gold hooks, that would be me.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfJanuary 26th, 2008, 8:02 am
Palmyra PA

Hey Jeff, you should have my flies by now. Did they take a detour?

--Fred Chappell
LittleJJanuary 26th, 2008, 1:15 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

they must be held up, I still haven't received yours or johns. I thought they would be here by now.
MartinlfJanuary 26th, 2008, 8:14 pm
Palmyra PA

Hmm. The postmaster in Hollidaysburg isn't a fly fisherman is he?

Well, let me know if you don't see them in a few more days. I've had packages delayed. John and I mailed ours the same day, so there may be some connection.

--Fred Chappell
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.