Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > what color line

Sbman07January 5th, 2008, 12:26 pm
ELk RIVER, MN

Just wondering if the color of the fly line really matters. One reason is that this really is the first time where I had extra spools that i brought with me. I dont want to spend $70 on a line that I rarely use however all the cheaper line I have seen has been really bright colors and wasnt sure if that really made a difference all that much. and do you prefer the WF vs. DT or vica versa
Three things I am never late for church, work, and fishing.
CaseyPJanuary 5th, 2008, 2:14 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

here is a thread about lines/color.
http://www.troutnut.com/topic/978
near the bottom of that thread is a link to a discussion of trout vision.
my take is that a colorful line can be seen much more readily as it flicks over the stream, and therefore can startle the fish more. grey and olive don't show as readily, IMHO. for delicacy, DT all the way.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
MartinlfJanuary 5th, 2008, 4:33 pm
Palmyra PA

I've been using olive and grey lines for a while, and feel this may give an edge, especially on spring creeks. I like DT for smaller streams, and WF for bigger water, especially if some distance is needed at times.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Sbman07January 5th, 2008, 6:37 pm
ELk RIVER, MN

thanks for the reply and the discussion forum number and your opinions.
FlybinderJanuary 9th, 2008, 5:04 pm
Oregon Coast

You mention "cheaper lines, but brightly colored".
Fortunately, that's not a real problem. I've found a lot of lines, on sale, on closeouts, discontinued, etc. and like you said.............. they're usually bright orange, flour.yellow, etc.
However, if the price is decent enough, I'll buy the line anyway, (and, if it's a line, worth the price) then simply die it to a more subdued coloring. Unless, your competitive casting, or you just like to throw 90' of line, for your average fishing you only need to die the first 30 to 40 feet of line......not the entire thing.
I've been lucky to find a lot of my fly lines on sale, then merely change their color, to something more "fishable".
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
DayTripperJanuary 10th, 2008, 4:51 am
Northern MI

Flybinder- What are you using to dye your lines with? I've wanted to do this for a while, but have been afraid to damage the coating.
MartinlfJanuary 10th, 2008, 6:07 am
Palmyra PA

See the thread that Casey posts a link for above. Click on the link for a description of fly line dyeing.

--Fred Chappell
DanoJanuary 10th, 2008, 6:38 am
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Steve,

In my experience (nearly 40 years) in fly fishing I'd say line color is of no consequence. Nor would I equate line color with line quality. I've been fishing with SA (Ultra series) lines almost exclusively since I first started. I've always perferred their "buckskin" color only because their "sunrise" seemed too gaudy. However, I was in the position a few years back of having to go with a Mastery Series WF-4-F in "optic orange" (no buckskin in stock and didn't want to wait for a special order).

In reviewing my fishing logs since the purchase of that line, I see no impact resulting from changing colors. My "home stream", the Williamson, is gin clear and the stretch I fish most probably averages 2-3' deep.

So, I'm more inclined to believe that shadows cast by a line in the air and any "disturbance" by it's landing on the water are the two most likely causes for "lining" a fish.

As to taper preferance, much depends on the conditions. Personally, I prefer a DT because it will present the fly more delicately than a WF. In my neck o' the woods the wind really kicks up by mid morning, so I'll switch to the WF until it dies down. When the hatch ends, I'll more than likely go to the WF sinking tip to fish nymphs, wets, and/or streamers...FWIW.

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
MartinlfJanuary 10th, 2008, 1:29 pm
Palmyra PA

Dano, I don't know about this for sure, but some seem to believe that bright orange flashing in the air is more visible than a more dull color. I doubt it would make much difference, if any, in most of my fishing, but I'm not sure color is of no consequence in all situations.

--Fred Chappell
FlybinderJanuary 10th, 2008, 5:28 pm
Oregon Coast

Daytripper;
I use regular old "Rit" dye, for my fly lines and I make sure, when mixing the dye to have the water reach boiling, before adding the dye to it.
Most and Rit especially, won't release all their acids, (needed to set the dye properly and to get the color you're after), unless stirred into boiling water. It WILL dissolve and color your like, to an extent, in cooler water, but NOT as well as it will if the water's boiling.

Anyhoo, here's a link with the procedure I use..............
http://www.iffa.org.uk/dyinglines.htm
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
MartinlfJanuary 11th, 2008, 5:26 am
Palmyra PA

Interesting. I'll add that I've dyed small batches of fur and feathers in a canning jar, heating the dye bath in the microwave before adding materials, a few times. It's quick and easy, but don't let it boil over. After I fish out the materials, I put a canning lid on and save the dye for another job later.

--Fred Chappell
DanoJanuary 11th, 2008, 5:54 am
Vanderbilt, Michigan

...some seem to believe that bright orange flashing in the air is more visible than a more dull color.

Well Louis, I'm certain that some do believe that to be true judging from what's been said in the links CaseP mentioned....I, however, don't, at least as far as the fish are concerned.

Ever been snorkeling or skin diving? Are you aware of how a fish's cone of vision works? And lastly, do you recall your junior high science lessons on light refraction?

As I mentioned above, my records don't indicate a "negative" impact by going with optic orange...

Dano

FalsiflyJanuary 11th, 2008, 11:22 am
Hayward, WI.

The results of a study done on this question can be found here.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZaqO1wDJHi8C&dq=%22understanding+trout+behavior%22

Unfortunately pages 125-130 which deal specifically with fly lines is not included in the book preview. There is also a section describing and explaining “Snell’s Circle” something I had not heard of until obtaining this book. Some of you may want to consider adding this book to your library.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
KrachenJanuary 11th, 2008, 11:36 am
good ol P 'AYYY

I fish with the SA trout lines in olive...i too think that a bright line is not a good thing HOWEVER...I do fish ALOT during the evening, and after dark, and although afterdark it doesnt much matter...when you are fishing on big rivers (the delaware) and have an olive line...it is a real B#%#* to gauge where your line is. When you are fishing small flies at dusk and making long casts wher eyou cant see your fly, it really sucks when you also have a dull fly line that is nearly impossible to see...just a thought you might want to consider...
CaseyPJanuary 11th, 2008, 5:52 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

oh, rats. here i swore not to buy any more lines or spools...you are absolutely right--dusk is hard, hard, hard. of course, if you cast like i do, you have a wonderful effect of line hitting smooth water that is poetic (and visible!) at dusk.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
DanoJanuary 12th, 2008, 9:45 am
Vanderbilt, Michigan

A below average Brown (5.5 lbs), average last season on the Williamson was 5.75lbs. This one was caught on the third cast with a #14 Blue Dun (wet) tied to a 9' 3x tippet. Out of over 60 Browns caught on this stretch ,
more than a third were caught using the WF 4 F optic orange line shown. The other two thirds were caught using a DT (ivory) and sinking tip (peach) lines.

Does this prove anything? Nope. But, at least shows why I don't concern myself with line color. FWIW.

Dano

MartinlfJanuary 12th, 2008, 10:10 am
Palmyra PA

Nice fish, Dano. At least it didn't mind the orange line. ;>

--Fred Chappell
Sbman07January 12th, 2008, 8:13 pm
ELk RIVER, MN

Hey Dano,

Thanks for the info nice pictures by the way. I did end up getting the optic green with the willow tip and it seems to be fine, I've caught fish before on yellow and bright green and i didnt know if i could catch more if i switch to a dull color.
DanoJanuary 13th, 2008, 9:25 am
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Louis,

Thanks and no it didn't...

Steve,

No problemo...In fly angling a positive attitude goes a very long way, IMNSHO. Having confidence in one's tackle and flies helps as well.

Someone mentioned that the brighter colored lines are a real help durning dawn and dusk, "gauge" I believe is the word used, which is the operative word in his statement. With 7.5' to 12.5' leaders under those conditions, one would have to have the eyesight of an owl to see precisely where their #14 Red Quill is. Over time, you'll develop a "sixth sense" to know where your fly is and when to strike...

In Oregon fishing for trout is legal only from an hour before sunrise to an hour after sunset so rarely will I go shorter than a 9' leader. When I was back in Michigan, 7.5' leaders were the "rule" when night fishing...I sorely miss not being able to night fish anymore.

Dano

DayTripperJanuary 17th, 2008, 7:55 am
Northern MI

Thanks for the links regarding dying. I don't think I'll dye thewhole line, maybe just the first 15'-20'
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.