Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > fishing resolutions for 2008

CaseyPDecember 31st, 2007, 8:34 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

...to stop buying equipment and save the money for guides on new water. this will be harder than giving up smoking, but even more rewarding.

...to pick up a fly rod every day, and go after the grass carp that live next the bike path that serves as my urban side yard. best comment from a passerby so far: "Islamorada or Montana?"

...to try to actually see a fish in the water before casting. lots of folk seem to believe that this is possible to do on a regular basis.

Happy New Year to all on Troutnut!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
MartinlfJanuary 1st, 2008, 8:38 am
Palmyra PA

Great resolutions, Casey. I'll add this one. To stop thinking of numbers or size of fish as the measure of a good fishing experience. To slow down and observe, trying different things, and to enjoy contemplating all aspects of being out and engaged with the natural world.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LittleJJanuary 1st, 2008, 8:50 am
Hollidaysburg Pa

to correct this "tailing loop" I've developed the past month or so....it's really getting on my nerves.
MartinlfJanuary 1st, 2008, 10:33 am
Palmyra PA

Jeff, Lefty Kreh's books or videos may offer some tips. Some things to try--slowing your stroke down until the very end when you speed up and stop; or, dropping your rod tip just a hair after your speed up and stop on the forward cast. Kreh claims this last one will correct most tailing loops. I had Bob Clouser help me some last fall and he helped me get shock waves out of my line on the back and forward cast. That helped my casting a lot. I don't know whether or not you know Eric Stroup, who lives near Spruce Creek, but I'll bet he could help you eliminate that loop lickety-split in one afternoon. He's had a few posts on this board. He and Bill Anderson used to have the Spruce Creek Fly Shop, and I understand from friends who have been out with him that Eric is a superb guide. I've talked with him several times and have been impressed by his knowledge and friendly, enthusiastic personality. I hope to save my pennies and hire him as a guide this season (as per Casey's resolution). I've learned so much from every guide I've ever fished with (only about 6) and though some prefer to learn on their own, I like to speed up the curve when I can. Anyway, good luck with those loops.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JOHNWJanuary 1st, 2008, 3:08 pm
Chambersburg, PA

To fish more with my son and my Dad. This is probably the most important one.

To add atleast six new streams to my list of "have fished" this will be easy given my Montana Trip plans for August

Focus more on traditional wet fly techniques. Just to further round out the bag of tricks at my disposal.

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
FlybyknightJanuary 1st, 2008, 4:28 pm
Milton, DE

LittleJ
Here is the "official" Cause and Correction of Tailing Loops:

"The (crossed) tailing loop is caused by premature or over application of power, which produces a concave path of the rod tip, and the resultant tailing loop.
Pushing the rod but ahead can also cause a tailing loop.

Make every effort to apply power in the proper amount at the proper place in the stroke; the majority of this power should be applied after the rod has reached a position perpendicular to the plane of the cast".

I second Louis' recommendation about hiring a casting instructor. Look up one near you in the FFF web site.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
LittleJJanuary 1st, 2008, 4:30 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

louis, thanks for the tips, I'll have to stop by and see eric when he gets his new place up and running.
dick, I was going to have my wife video me while casting to see if I could pick out the prob. but she told me i needed to get a life. I think she's still mad about the time I tried to get in the bath tub w/ dirty waders on because I couldn't find a leak through conventional methods. Women just don't get it. Maybe that should be another resolution try to get my wife to understand why I do what I do.
jeff

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.