Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fishing Art

SofthackleOctober 27th, 2007, 6:57 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Another spinoff, here. I was wondering if anyone had favorite fishing art. A reference to a Rockwell painting in another thread made me think of all the great pieces of fishing art we have. Do you have some favorites? I may post a few, myself, later.

Mark

PS--I met Mr. Rockwell in the summer of 1964 at his home in Stockbridge, MA. I was a high school art student at the time, and my family had taken a trip to Glouster. On the way home, I insisted we go to Stockbridge where I wanted to meet Mr. Rockwell. With some of my own work in hand, I proceeded to his house and knocked on his back door. I was greeted by his wife who took me to the studio in back of the house. Mr. Rockwell was very gracious and encouraged me to continue with my studies. The scents of oil paint and pipe tobacco permeated the atmosphere, & I marveled at the oil on his easel which had just been returned from Look Magazine. It showed President John Kennedy accepting his nomination to the presidency in 1959. It was magnificent.

I shall never forget his kindness nor his very deep, friendly voice. He was a true American Master.

The Blue Boat- Homer

Sly Brook Natives- Reneson

June Trout- Reneson

Trout Stream In Maine- Ogden Pleissner

Beaverkill Bridge- Ogden Pleissner

"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
JADOctober 27th, 2007, 10:42 am
Alexandria Pa

Hi Mark
What a great honor to met an artist like that, and the man took the time to spend time with a kid in school. A person never knows what influence he will have on some buddy . Good for you.

Best wishes
john

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
MartinlfOctober 27th, 2007, 11:41 am
Palmyra PA

Great story. I have two old outdoors prints my father loved in the basement and look forward to the time I finish my tying area there and can hang them. Thanks for sharing this.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.